Olewo Carrots Vs Fresh

sonya

I have not been on this site since my Cinnibuns crossed the rainbow bridge in February but now have a 7 year old brindle. Having a problem w/loose poo and saw a lot about olewo carrots. Why can't you use finely chopped fresh carrots? Any suggestions....Thanks

Dogs do not get anything from eating raw carrots as their teeth are not designed to grind food but tear it. Carrots pretty much just pass on thru. The Olewo carrots are amazing. My dogs have wonderful, firm poops since they have been eating them every night. They love it! It helps calm the digestive system and has helped so much with the gas. Mix it with some virgin organic coconut oil and it is a very healthy snack. I free fed so we put it in a bowl and the gobble it down. They get so excited at carrot time. Can't say enough good things about Olewo carrots.

yes, most veggies have to be cooked for dogs to be able to get any benefit from them, plus I think carrots have a pretty high water content, so that wouldn't help with loose poop. The olewo carrots are dehydrated, and you don't add that much liquid back to feed them.

Mine won't eat fresh carrots, but will gladly the olewo, go figure...If you want to go fresh, I'd rather go with some pumpkin than carrots though

Sammy actually spit a baby carrot at my face, but happily eats the Olewo carrots in his food. I don't know if the addition of coconut oil makes the difference. I can say that he had ridiculously bad poop before the Olewo carrots, but now things are wonderful. I second the canned pumpkin, it can also help.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

I use about 4-6 ounces of hot water to a tablespoon of the carrots and it is the consistency of oatmeal. Rocket gets half of that with breakfast, and half with dinner. The carrots really bulk up the stool and we have gone from having liquid stools to perfectly formed.

Be sure that you have ruled out other things first though, especially things like a particular food or protein not agreeing iwth your hound. You don't want the carrots to mask a symptom of a different problem.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Apparently it is a natural dewormer.

With Jack I think it help keep his "wrigglies" under control when we first got him (we were unaware he had worms given the negative fecals...). When we stopped the carrots, he began having stomach cramps, diarrhea, being sick.... We wormed, and now we don't even need the carrots for firming things up :)

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

• 3 weeks later...

For my two boys I put in two heaping tablespoons of carrots, one spoonful of coconut oil and water. For one hound I would do 1 tablespoon.

You have to get hounds gradually used to the coconut oil. Start with 1/4 teaspoon for 7 days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7 then a tablespoon.

We give Arya 1 Tbsp olewo carrots + 1 tsp coconut oil + 1 tsp olive oil split between 2 meals, which has worked for her. We started her on 1 Tbsp carrots + 1 tsp coconut oil at each meal, but recently decreased to to current levels and it does not seem to make a difference. She does fine at both amounts.