Hey Wait, That's Not A Greyhound!

Roo

Despite the fact that I'm so much a greyhound person, I fell in love with a not-greyhound.

I was browsing adoption sites, just to see who was out there. I saw the sweetest old face in a shelter about 3 hours away. My parents met her (they were near there anyway) and told me I had to meet her. Yesterday I made the drive up, met the little girl, and that was that.

So, meet Daisy, the 12 (approximately) year old Jack Russel (mix maybe?)!

tumblr_nxomkzpRGH1ulbbeho2_1280.jpg

By the time we were ready for bed, she felt right at home:

tumblr_nxomkzpRGH1ulbbeho5_1280.jpg

(My apologies if the pictures are huge - I can't figure out how to resize them!)

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Aw, she looks sweet! Congratulations.

What shelter did she come from? I'm just curious if it's one I volunteered at in NC, though I guess it's a bit closer than 3 hours away.

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

Guest MurphysMom

Oh wooow :beatheart She reminds me of the terrier mutt that I grew up with; we named him Sparky and he wandered up our driveway one day and decided we were his people. Best dog ever... he passed away 9 years ago, and I still miss him! Daisy just looks so so sweet, I want to cry. Lucky her, lucky you! :yay Congratulations on your new family member!

IMG_9480_zpspr3wth7c.jpg

(Our Sparky)

What a sweet face...Congrats...I have a rat terrier Chi mix....she is adorable as well and is the best snuggler.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

How could you not love that face? Congrats to you and Daisy and thank you for opening you heart and home to a senior!

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Welcome home Daisy!

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thanks everyone! She's settling in beautifully and I couldn't feel luckier.

Aw, she looks sweet! Congratulations.

What shelter did she come from? I'm just curious if it's one I volunteered at in NC, though I guess it's a bit closer than 3 hours away.

She came from the Asheville Humane Society. She was apparently a stray :(

We went to the vet yesterday for the post-adoption wellness check and she's mostly healthy! Her front right leg (it sticks out funny) was apparently dislocated at the shoulder in the past and keeps popping out, but it doesn't bother her so it's not a big deal. She has some old lady warts, fatty tumors, old dog eyesight and hearing, and a little joint stiffness, but nothing too bad for her age. Oh, and she dribbles a little when she sneezes, which j find weirdly endearing. Is that incontinence or just...old lady? :lol

The only issues are her anal glands (he said it was pretty bad and wants us back for a recheck in December to see if it's chronic or a one-off - I'm happy to pay for this as opposed to doing it myself :lol) and a grade 3 heart murmur. Not knowing anything about her history, this could be something she's had her whole life or something that has started with age. She's getting an X-ray when we go back in December to determine which it is and to see if there's anything we can do. I'm kind of thinking this is why she was turned out of her home, if that's what happened (perhaps the greyhound with osteo that I found on CL a while ago made me cynical...). Poor dear. She does have a bit of a chocking gagging cough that happens mostly when she's been resting (or when I tried to squeeze her into a harness - quickly abandoned that when I realized it made her cough!) which the vet said could be due to her heart being a bit enlarged :( So we'll see. I'm trying not to worry until we get the X-rays done, but...I'm not sure it's working! If anyone has experience with old dogs and heart murmurs, things to look for, things to do...I'd appreciate any advice.

On a positive note, she finally ate dinner last night! All it took was some rice and wet food. Ha!

Edited by Roo

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Awww! What a sweet old girl! :wub: So happy for her and for you.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

:wub:

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oooh, she looks like she might be a rat terrier, or at least a mix of one, which is one of my fave breeds. They are fun!

Enjoy your new girl :wub:

Agree with Rattie. She looks adorable, congrats and thank you for giving this old girl a home.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

My sister had a terrier-cross that had a significant heart murmur all his life. The vet said he wasn't expected to live much beyond 6 years old...but he lived a great long life of 16! He coughed when he exerted himself and sometimes had episodes of fainting spells, but his attitude and joy of life was great.

Good on you for bringing this cutie home!

looks like a miniature short legged racing greyhound to me. check his ears for tattoos. their speed is amazing, yer greys may be surprised when he catches one of them. he may be holding back to lure them into a false sense of security.

jacks.jpg

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Congratulations to you and Miss Daisy.

<<looks like a miniature short legged racing greyhound to me>>. Yeah, just a greyhound minus the stilts. :)

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter