Choking On "flem"?

Guest Lygracilux

Guest Lygracilux

Hi everyone! Its been a while since I've posted. Things have just been crazy busy, and no news is good news, right? Hope you all and your hounds are doing well!

So, Fusion had a really weird episode this morning at about 6am that I was hoping someone could give me insight on.

He woke up, started gagging, and thew up a little bile. Nothing major, he gets into all sorts of stuff and has a sensitive stomach. But right after that, he was really struggling to breathe-almost hyperventilating like he was choking on his own spit/vomit. It didnt last long, and he hasnt gotten sick since. But it was really scary, I though the was going to choke to death.
Has this ever happened to anyone's hound? Should I take him to the vet? Again, hes fine now. Ate his breakfast, peed and pooed, ran around no problem.

Note: Sometimes he sleeps with his tongue out and it gets very dry, so when he puts it back in his mouth he chokes on it. We also just got him a new antler for him to chew on that has been getting all of that crud out of his teeth-which in turn makes his gums bleed and get all slimy. (its working well though, his teeth are a lot whiter already and he loves chewing it)
Maybe it could have been a combo of dry tongue, vomit, and slimy blood?

Was he choking or reverse sneezing?? Reverse sneezing can sound really bad and scary. The other thing I might think of is some sort of reflux associated with his vomiting episode. If he's fine now I wouldn't head to the vet. If it happens again, try and get a phone video so your vet has something to look at.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Lygracilux

Was he choking or reverse sneezing?? Reverse sneezing can sound really bad and scary. The other thing I might think of is some sort of reflux associated with his vomiting episode. If he's fine now I wouldn't head to the vet. If it happens again, try and get a phone video so your vet has something to look at.

Okay, I didnt know what reverse sneezing was until I youtubed it-but that was definitely it. Like he was hyperventilating and couldnt breathe-should I be concerened? It was just like this:

Yeah he definitely has some tummy issues-always has from the beginning. I will definitely look into the reflux thing, maybe giving him a pepcid before bed. My vet suggested that once for the tummy gurglys he gets sometimes.

Edited by Lygracilux

Reverse sneezing is common. Various tricks usually ease it: Try fingers across the nostrils and hand gently under the head or throat until you feel Fusion swallow normally. That usually stops it.

Ever had sinuses draining down your throat? Swallow or cough, and the feeling is still there, and you have to gargle something or take meds to get it to go away for a while. I've always imagined that a dog with reverse sneezing might be feeling like that, except that he won't need meds to make it stop. (My girl tends to some reverse sneezing in pollen season.) But the more you cough or gag unproductively, the worse you feel and the more you sound like you're choking. I've never heard of reverse sneezing actually being harmful--just distressing for owners and maybe for the dog, too, if it goes on for very long.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

i use a squirt of lemon juice- right down the throat. cuts thru all the mucous and clears it up beautifully. as suggested by my vet- it works!

I had never heard of this before!!! I am going to try this!

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Lygracilux

So, no reverse sneezing last night/this morning. But, he threw up bile again around the same time (5am) as yesterday(6:30am)

There wasnt a lot, just like the time before a few patches here and there. But it was pretty gross looking, like a brownish color.

But he went right back to sleep, ate his breakfast, went pee and poo (no diareah) and hasnt thrown up since.

I called the vet and they said to just give him a bland supper tonight with a little rice and kibble and see how he does, if he gets worse or does it again tonight then I should set up an appointment.

I mentioned maybe its acid reflux but the girl on the phone didnt regard that much. Would it hurt if I just tried to give him a pepcid before bed and see if it helps?

It also may be these new milkbones I got, so Im going to stop giving them to him.

Guest Lygracilux

I would try giving a Pepcid at bedtime before switching foods. Stop giving the new treats.

Okay! I will, thank you.

How many milligrams do I give him? I read .25-.50 for every 1lb. So itd be like 2 10milligram tabs?

You might also try holding back part of his dinner and giving it to him just before bed. Throwing up bile early in the morning is sometimes indicative of them having too empty a stomach overnight. If you give pepcid, then just give it 25-30 mins prior to his bedtime snack. We've always just given 1 pill, but I don't remember if if was a 10 or 20 mg.

I second the Pepcid. Kasey had a funny case of constantly licking his lips and swallowing and trying to get something down his throat when there was nothing to get down. Vet said it's acid reflux. To be truthful, even if it's not and you've tried Pepcid, you haven't lost anything other than the cost of the package, since it is fairly safe. The only thing is don't give other meds within a 2 hour span of giving Pepcid.

I always gave Kasey 10mg 15-30 mins before feeding (he was about 60lbs). I think they recommended 15mg actually based on his weight, but cutting a tiny pill in half seemed pointless and 10 always seemed to do the trick.

Bile in early am is a sign of an empty stomach. However you say it's brown, which is weird. Early morning empty stomach bile is typically bright yellow. I would give some bedtime cookies to keep a little something in there overnight and try the pepcid for a couple days to see what pans out.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest Lygracilux

I second the Pepcid. Kasey had a funny case of constantly licking his lips and swallowing and trying to get something down his throat when there was nothing to get down. Vet said it's acid reflux. To be truthful, even if it's not and you've tried Pepcid, you haven't lost anything other than the cost of the package, since it is fairly safe. The only thing is don't give other meds within a 2 hour span of giving Pepcid.

I always gave Kasey 10mg 15-30 mins before feeding (he was about 60lbs). I think they recommended 15mg actually based on his weight, but cutting a tiny pill in half seemed pointless and 10 always seemed to do the trick.

Bile in early am is a sign of an empty stomach. However you say it's brown, which is weird. Early morning empty stomach bile is typically bright yellow. I would give some bedtime cookies to keep a little something in there overnight and try the pepcid for a couple days to see what pans out.

Okay thank you! I will try 10mgs tonight about 20 mins before his bedtime snack.

Hmm, any idea why it would be brown? It almost looked like it was bloody, but it wasnt like...blood. More slimy.

Has he been eating dirt? Mine all seem to crave dirt in the fall and the spring. It also might be nothing, or it could be something. If it keeps happening, or you see other signs of gastic distress, it's time for the vet.

Okay! I will, thank you.

How many milligrams do I give him? I read .25-.50 for every 1lb. So itd be like 2 10milligram tabs?

How much does he weigh? Dosing range is wide. I've been taught to give 0.5mgs/kg once daily. That would be 17mgs/75lb dog.

That dosage can vary depending on illness, other concurrent medications etc..

The vomit may be brown due to something he are--what color is the new treats your feeding?

Edited by tbhounds

Guest Lygracilux

How much does he weigh? Dosing range is wide. I've been taught to give 0.5mgs/kg once daily. That would be 17mgs/75lb dog.

That dosage can vary depending on illness, other concurrent medications etc..

The vomit may be brown due to something he are--what color is the new treats your feeding?

Hes about 78lbs. I gave him a 10mg pepcid last night, no dog treats all day, and split up his supper into 2 feedings-once right when we get home from work and the other right before bed. He slept right throucgh the night and didnt get sick (:

The treats we were giving him we're tan. So I dont think that would cause his bile to be brown. Maybe he has a small stomach ulcer or something, or just irritation from the acid reflux. Either way, that all seemed to do the trick :)