Ramp Builders

Since Pogo's chest x-rays and blood work looks normal, I am going to assume at this point he will be getting his leg amputated. I remember at least one Greytalk member building an outdoor ramp for their pups.

Has anyone built a ramp for their pup? If so, do you have pictures of what you did and how you did it?

Thanks

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Good luck on Pogo's treatment.

For portable steps (not sure that is what you want) I followed the instructions on this thread:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/312008-styrofoam-stepsramp/?hl=styrofoam

I made mine for a non-tripawd 11 yo., and it is cheaper looking than the ones shown in the thread as I skipped the carpet remnant tops and the side duct tape, but they work great and are light enough to lift in/out of the trunk. You can design the number of steps and height of each step based on thickness and number of styrofoam slaps per step.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

The ramp needs to be wide enough for the dog to feel comfortable, and very stable. Also the angle can't be too steep or it defeats the purpose. I will say, my boy was doing our three stairs in and out of the house about 6 days after surgery. We did let him stay at the hospital until he was mobile and going potty on his own. He was also ready to try the indoor stairs to the second floor about a month post-surgery, and eventually did them on his own shortly thereafter. Scared the crap out of me every single time he did them, but he was bound and determined to get up to our bedroom and on the bed. The Webmaster Harness was a godsend.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

The ramp needs to be wide enough for the dog to feel comfortable, and very stable. Also the angle can't be too steep or it defeats the purpose. I will say, my boy was doing our three stairs in and out of the house about 6 days after surgery. We did let him stay at the hospital until he was mobile and going potty on his own. He was also ready to try the indoor stairs to the second floor about a month post-surgery, and eventually did them on his own shortly thereafter. Scared the crap out of me every single time he did them, but he was bound and determined to get up to our bedroom and on the bed. The Webmaster Harness was a godsend.

This is going to sound like a stupid question, but I watched the video for the Webmaster Harness and maybe it's my lack of sleep over the past week, but my brain just can't process the fact that you must put the dog's right leg through an opening in order for the harness to be adjusted. How does this work for a dog who will not have a front right leg?

After I posted this question, I found a picture of a tripawd greyhound on the company Facebook page that was missing its front right leg.

Thanks

Edited by Annette

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

You might want to look into this.

Lots of owners have had good results with it:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/225448995/greyhound-assistance-harness?ref=shop_home_active_1

Thanks

I don't have pictures, sorry, but I had a small dog with back trouble and hip trouble and we made a gently sloping ramp and covered it with indoor outdoor carpet (the kind that looks lije Astro Turf). We also had sides on it so he couldn't walk off the side.

He adapted to it very quickly, after finding treats along the way.

The assistance harness, IMO, is better suited to a rear amp. For a front amp I found it slid around as it depends on two front legs to stay put. But it was helpful as an alternate to the webmaster and in colder weather I adjusted the assistance harness to go over a coat since the coat fabric lessened the slip factor, and left the webmaster as a no-coat harness. Not having to adjust depending on weather was very helpful.

I was fortunate in that the folks who gave me a webmaster as a gift for Jaynie altered it so there was a buckle on the step-in leg side - perhaps some crafty person can do the same for you.

ETA: we had a ramp made and it worked wonderfully - I'll take and post pictures tomorrow when there is light.

Edited by Rickiesmom

Here are some ramp photos. Forgive the mess, we are doing some work at the back of the house.

Ramp is 39" wide edge to edge, interior tread width is 36". Black strips are Skid Guard Treads (there is adhesive on the back but they are also nailed).

Full view:

Ramp20length.jpg

Top view:

Ramp20treads.jpg

Side view:

Ramp20side.jpg

The ramp is attached to the house. All the dogs love it.

I have found it is helpful to keep it swept off in the winter - diligently whenever it snows. It gets slippery on the wood to each side of the black strips whenever there is a wet+freezing combination. I keep a rubber-backed runner rolled up near the door, and put it out over the ramp when needed for traction, and remove it when the dogs come in to let the sun dry the ramp off. It helps that it faces south.

Here are some ramp photos. Forgive the mess, we are doing some work at the back of the house.

Ramp is 39" wide edge to edge, interior tread width is 36". Black strips are Skid Guard Treads (there is adhesive on the back but they are also nailed).

Full view:

Ramp20length.jpg

Top view:

Ramp20treads.jpg

Side view:

Ramp20side.jpg

The ramp is attached to the house. All the dogs love it.

I have found it is helpful to keep it swept off in the winter - diligently whenever it snows. It gets slippery on the wood to each side of the black strips whenever there is a wet+freezing combination. I keep a rubber-backed runner rolled up near the door, and put it out over the ramp when needed for traction, and remove it when the dogs come in to let the sun dry the ramp off. It helps that it faces south.

Thanks