Whining In The Morning

Guest TeriD

My Rosey Roo has not been taking this time change well. This morning she started whining at 4:30 am. I get up and take her out bc I don't want her to have to pee so badly that she messes her crate. Currently she sleeps in her crate in the spare bedroom. I've tried having her crate in my room and all she does is whine. I've let her out to sleep on her blankets on the floor (while leaving her crate open for that option) but she won't settle down. She starts to pace and won't settle down.

I don't know what to do. Before the time change I was obviously getting up at 5:30. Which is an hour before I really want to. Please help.

Try maybe setting an alarm. Then pushing the time back

Set it for 4h30 (or before she whines) then get up and do your morning routine. Then 4h35 and so on until you get to 5h30 :) Hopefully she will learn to get up with the alarm and not before.

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

I really want to get to the point where she's just sleeping in my room and not in her crate or have her crate in my room without all the whining.

My last resort is just staying up later to take her for her final pee but by 9pm I'm wiped out.

Oh well....something will work out.

Guest Scouts_mom

I hate to say this, but I get up every night at about 1 am to let my Henry, whom I've had for over 3 years, out to potty. I wake up when he comes to my bed and whines, but I've gotten so I can do this in my sleep (almost). The bad thing is that my other grey, Bree, has learned that I will get up when she also whines by my bed. In her case, it is because she wants me to move Henry off the couch so she can enjoy it by herself! I am trying to learn to ignore Bree.

I hate to say this, but I get up every night at about 1 am to let my Henry, whom I've had for over 3 years, out to potty. I wake up when he comes to my bed and whines, but I've gotten so I can do this in my sleep (almost). The bad thing is that my other grey, Bree, has learned that I will get up when she also whines by my bed. In her case, it is because she wants me to move Henry off the couch so she can enjoy it by herself! I am trying to learn to ignore Bree.

oh man! I would probably do this but for two things:

1. We don't have a fenced in yard so I can't just open the door and let her do her thing.

2. My diva refuses to potty in our yard. I literally have to walk her across the street to an elementary school and walk around. She usually goes at the furthest end from my house. Lol so that's usually what I'm doing at 4:30/5:30 in the morning. In my sleep as well 😜

Sorry about this. I have the solution and while I don't think you will like it, you owe to Rosey Roo (love the name) to at least give it a try.

Every day for a week, walk her for at least 40 minutes starting no earlier then 8:30 PM. An hour walk is even better. Walking from 9 to 10 PM is ideal for dog and human. By the end of the week she should be silent until 6:00 AM and I suspect even later. You might also be able to get rid of the crate. If so, make sure she has a super comfy cozy bed of her own where she can see you. If she lets you sleep until 6 or 7 in the morning you may find you are not so wiped out when it comes time to walk her in the evening.

If we just do a turnout in the evening our dog has us up at 5:30 AM. If we walk we can all sleep until between 7 and 8 AM.

Edited by KickReturn

Last night was not the norm. I took her out at 9pm on the dot and then I went to bed bc I was just exhausted. But I usually try to take her out between 9:30 and 10pm. And she most definitely wasn't cold this morning. We are having somewhat of an Indian Summer in PA and my house is warm. I think it might just be her internal clock and a smidge of SA.

the long walk at night: Although I'm a lover of long walks and am willing to try.....by 9pm I'm wiped out. an hour long walk just seems like torture. LOL But you know....it might just make both of us sleep like rocks and that's what I'm looking for!!! :) and it will be much easier to do in the summer.....aaahhh.....sunlight........

@Brandiandwe: My Rosey looks A LOT like your Hermon <3

Rosey is a good looking dog then! But I'll be willing to bet that Hermon is a LOT bigger and boofier. He weighs 88 lbs and has a gorgeous Roman nose.

MUCH bigger!! When I first got her and she was skin and bones she weighed 59 lbs. she's put on some weight since then so I'm guessing she's in the mid 60's. But she is a prettier girl. People stop us to say how beautiful she is 💜 but she doesn't have a roman nose :(

Edited by TeriD

Walking a dog in the dark in the freezing winter is enjoyed by few and hated by most. Problem is some dogs just take a long time to empty out. Assuming Rosey's problem is having to pee in the morning, the late walk tactic is bound to help. Later turnouts are also good but the walk is better.

Walking a dog in the dark in the freezing winter is enjoyed by few and hated by most. Problem is some dogs just take a long time to empty out. Assuming Rosey's problem is having to pee in the morning, the late walk tactic is bound to help. Later turnouts are also good but the walk is better.

. Agreed!! Thankfully it's not cold here....yet. But oh it will be! Maybe I'll take a lap or two around the school tonight and see if that helps. 👍🏻

Success!! Last night I walked her at 9:30 and instead of going out for a quick pee I walked further and she decided she needed to do #2 as well. ( which I just never thought she needed to do bc jeez.....she already poops 3x a day) But anyway I naturally woke up at 5:45 and she wasn't whining so I thought it was a good opportunity to show her that ---LOOK! Mommy will get me even if I don't whine!!

So it's been a good morning. Thanks for the suggestion @KickReturn. So easy but it just never occurred to me. Thank you!

Edited by TeriD

• 7 months later...
Guest LikeJamaica

Obviously a little late to the party here, but wanted to see if any of you thought the above-mentioned stuff would help for a mid-day whining bout. Our 3.5 yo (now 3 weeks in our home) used to walk amazingly, whether morning, noon, or night, and would normally eliminate both #1s and #2s! But for the past couple days, starting Friday and through the weekend, he isn't wanting to walk in the morning. He'll maybe get out for a potty, but then when my wife is home to let him out at lunch, he maybe pees in the yard, then wants to come in. Granted, it's hot in CO this time of year, but he proceeds to whine and pace. I'm not there to see what sort of attention is being given, but I feel like some more activity would behoove him. There's the rub, though, as he's gotten into a habit of statuing up on our walks the last few days. It may be some anxiety from bangs and booms on prior walks (which are few and far between) or maybe some other mantra in his head, but it's difficult when he whines but won't help us help him!!

Guest Noosh

Here's what I have found, with my girl, after having her for eleven weeks.

She has her last let out for pee at 9-9.30 pm. She mopes about at night if she isn't in bed and sleeping by 8pm, might I add!

Now Winter has set in here in South Eastern Australia, mademoiselle does not want to get out of bed in the morning. Sometimes 10am. Mostly, 8.30-9am. We found it useless to make her get up any earlier. She just would not pee. So, now she lets us know when she is ready.

On walks- we have found she just wants to stop and look, for sometimes 5 minutes. She stares at gardens (maybe there is a bunny in there!) she stares into peoples open garages or windows (very embarrassing :nod ) on the beach, waves are worth a good 6 minutes of staring. Is there time to allow him to take in the new world he finds himself in perhaps? Our girl has been spooked by some noisy swooping Plovers overhead, it really rattled her, and that has caused some funny behaviour passing where it originally occurred. I just encourage her, and give a little treat to try to take her mind off thinking about those pesky birds! We only came across them once :hehe but she remembers.

It just takes some time to learn his personality, and he yours. Like a dance you both learn. I have learnt to stress less about some behaviours, and that helps.

Just be consistent, as greys can be surprisingly canny and stubborn. And look forward to the cuddles and waggy tail once he settles in!! :gh_run2

Obviously a little late to the party here, but wanted to see if any of you thought the above-mentioned stuff would help for a mid-day whining bout. Our 3.5 yo (now 3 weeks in our home) used to walk amazingly, whether morning, noon, or night, and would normally eliminate both #1s and #2s! But for the past couple days, starting Friday and through the weekend, he isn't wanting to walk in the morning. He'll maybe get out for a potty, but then when my wife is home to let him out at lunch, he maybe pees in the yard, then wants to come in. Granted, it's hot in CO this time of year, but he proceeds to whine and pace. I'm not there to see what sort of attention is being given, but I feel like some more activity would behoove him. There's the rub, though, as he's gotten into a habit of statuing up on our walks the last few days. It may be some anxiety from bangs and booms on prior walks (which are few and far between) or maybe some other mantra in his head, but it's difficult when he whines but won't help us help him!!