Need Your Opinion On Second Greyhound

Guest TeriD

Well...that didn't take long. I've had Rosey less than two months and I already want to add another. I truly think it will help Rosey come out of her shell and live an even happier life.

My questions to you are:

1. Do you think its too soon? I want one ASAP so they can acclimate together. But my husband feels that she should settle in first and THEN add a second grey.

I personally think she is settling in fantastically and would be even happier with a buddy.

2. I'm looking for a male just because I read there might be less squabbles or jockying for position between the two as there would be if I got a female. Opionions? I've had two females before ( a pug which was mine and a min pin that was my husband's) but they pretty much did their own thing unless the min pin was cold and then she cuddled up to our chubby pug. LOL

The boy I'm looking at is named Colorado Ed if you want to check him out.... out of Greyhound Friends of NJ

Thanks for your input!!

Edited by TeriD

We had our first greyhound for less three months when we got the second. Despite the foster family's contention that he (2nd dog, Buddy) "wanted to be top dog", we never saw that. Our first was a two year old female, Buddy was over four when we got him.

A year later we added our girls litter sister. Those three dogs were awesome together. :wub:

It really depends more on the dogs personality than their gender. A friend had three females and we'd dogsit for them--bringing our total to five females and one male--and everyone got along just fine.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Bringing in a second dog was a game-changer for my spooky girl. She has become so much more well-adjusted and confident, and I love to see how well they interact with each other. There were three years in between my adoptions, and in a way, I wish I had done it much sooner (though then I wouldn't have ended up with my silly Nova Noodle).

I have two females. My spooky girl is also alpha. I had assumed that she would get along best with a goofy boy. After fostering a couple of wonderfully sweet boys, she wasn't really clicking with them, and I started to wonder if she actually preferred being an only dog. As a last effort, I brought home a sweet little female foster-with-intent, and they were instant companions. Basically, I let my first girl choose my second, and the rest is history.

Best of luck to you as you think about adopting your second!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

I'd say do it sooner rather than later (provided, of course, your current girl is well settled and you don't need to do specific behavioral training with her). With my first greyhound, I always wanted a second dog he could hang out with because he was a bit insecure at home by himself (not separation anxiety, but not too far from it in the beginning). Well, after a while, he didn't want to share his house with another dog. He couldn't tolerate fosters (he'd actually refuse go go on walks!) and he only liked guest dogs for a day or so. So we never adopted a second with him. When he died unexpectedly, we couldn't live without a dog in the house, so we very quickly adopted another greyhound. Heyokha took *a lot* of training (and still does, but we're lazy :lol) After we'd had him for 3 years, we decided to get another and he still hasn't really forgiven us for it. He really liked being an only dog and has a hard time sharing us with Crow (who is so low-key he's nearly comatose). After the initial adjustment period of about 4 months, the snarking got way better and now rarely occurs. They co-habit mostly fine, but I think each would be just fine without the other - they're not bonded at all. So don't wait years like we did :)

As to whether male or female, it depends on the personality of the dog. A friend of mine has had multiple females with no issues, but others I know had lots of squabbles. I tend to like the big dumb boys, myself :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Lol!!! "So low-key he's almost comatose" that describes my Rosey!!!! 😆😆😆😆

I think my girl will like a big boy. She really bonded with a big boy we've met recently. I don't need a crazy boy just one who wants to be lazy with my girl and go on walks with me and just be happy living a lazy happy life. If I Can find be one of those ill be thrilled ❤️

Edited by TeriD

I am not a good one to ask. Two greyhounds ago, we were adopting our last greyhound. :D

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I am not a good one to ask. Two greyhounds ago, we were adopting our last greyhound. :D

It's a sickness!! I'm quickly catching on to that. Fortunately or unfortunately we live in a small ranch so space is limited.

good LORD woman, the boy has NO EARS! :rofl oh and since he is good with cats I will be rushing over to adopt him out from under you :hehe now just how long will it take to get to NJ from California..... :whiteflag:rofl IF my DW would allow me a second he would be at the top of my list, sadly I am stuck with one GREYT boy and two count'em TWO ebil cats

Guest DarkHorse

We adopted Araley and Dexter at the same time, but Dexter came home four months late due to an injury while he was still at the adoption kennel. Araley was a little unimpressed with us bringing a big dumb boy into her home, but she adapted pretty quickly.

We brought Cole and KB home at the same time. It's been harder having to adapt two at the same time, but they also seem to help each other learn. They seem to be doing really well together and Dexter is happy to have the company but not deal with their rough playing and crazy barking.

I'd say if you're interested, go for it. Just let Rosey be the final determiner of any dogs you like (or vice versa).

I let Iker choose his dog, who ended up being Xavi. Phoenix chose Treasure. Why not let your dog choose?

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

good LORD woman, the boy has NO EARS! :rofl oh and since he is good with cats I will be rushing over to adopt him out from under you :hehe now just how long will it take to get to NJ from California..... :whiteflag:rofl IF my DW would allow me a second he would be at the top of my list, sadly I am stuck with one GREYT boy and two count'em TWO ebil cats

Lol!! You're right! He doesn't 😆 and good with cats is a must since I have a fat cat he needs to be nice to.

And Rosey will MOST DEFINITELY have the last say. If I get my way we might meet him in two weeks. ;)

We shall see....I might wait until spring but I'm sure this cutie will be in his furrever home but then 😕

We brought our second home within a fortnight because Brandi really needed a second dog. 2 girls, Paige picked not because we wanted her, but because Brandi knew her, they seemed to get along, and she was available. In the end, Paige has ended up exactly where she needed to be and where she belonged and I would trade her. So it isn't too soon, but be ready for the possibility of you not getting the dog you chose.

Im hopefully attending a pet fair that they are having in two weeks. I believe a good number of greys they have available will be there. So I'm excited, nervous, and overall wondering if I'm getting myself in over my head. But I'm not going to rush anything. Once I'm approved for adoption I can leisurely choose an available hound when I'm ready. I'm hoping the stars will align at some point and things will work out for the best. Thanks for all of your input!! It makes me realize that a male isn't necessary and I just need to concentrate on a good fit for all of us.

If you have more stories please keep them coming! I love hearing about everyone's experience:)

well, did you really come to Greytalk to get opinions about adopting another greyhound????

Adopt when you're ready ... and it sounds like you are. I'd let your hound pick your pup ... I've heard lots of 'stories about the boys & girls getting along best and must admit that mine have always worked out that way, but I'm pretty sure you're already prepared for whatever special little package seems to call to you at the pet fair (dare I suggest that you bring TWO extra leashes? :hehe )

Remember rules about pictures!!! And congratulations in advance!

well, did you really come to Greytalk to get opinions about adopting another greyhound???!

Let's be honest....I came hear to get ammunition against my husband and his "we should wait" theory. lololol

And I think I've got what I've come for ;)

Thank you 💜

And as soon as I figure out how to post pics from an iPhone I'm in business! :D

Edited by TeriD

Do it if you can afford it.

Must say in my experience boy/boy and boy/girl are usually much easier meshes than two girls. Some non greyhound breed rescues here will not adopt a girl to a home with an existing girl. The boys seem to sort it out and shake paws and the girls less often, but every situation is different.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

We have nearly always been a multi dog house, and always more girls than boys. We haven't had any more issues girl-girl than we have had girl-boy or boy-boyo it really does depend on personalities.

Naturally you want a dog that's compatible with your existing dog, but there's no need to go overboard if there's not a specific issue - like SA -you're addressing with a second dog. We picked our first one out, but the rest have all come to live with us sight-unseen, either as fosters or adopted from far away (so no returning!). Everyone has learned to live together just fine.

There will always be some initial rumblings and jockeying and reshuffling, so just expect it and be ready for it. If it doesn't happen, then you can count yourself lucky and get on with living.

(FYI - we have had as many as five greyhounds - and two humans! - in a one bedroom 950 sq ft house. So that's no excuse!)

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

This is a bad place if you want an objective opinion. Bunch of enablers around here. :bgeorge (Or maybe that's what you were trying for.... :bgeorge )

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

This is a bad place if you want an objective opinion. Bunch of enablers around here. :bgeorge (Or maybe that's what you were trying for.... :bgeorge )

You caught me!! 😀 but I'm quick to rush into things and my husband likes to feel things out first. Most of the time he's right so I want to respect his opinion. But I would also like feel good stories and experiences from other grey lovers to back me up if needed ;) Edited by TeriD

Let me tell you the story of an overly cautious husband.

When I first suggested getting a pet, because I was working home a lot while my husband was away, I suggested a couple of cats. That idea was vetoed very quickly. I then tentatively suggested a small dog. I was informed that if we were to have a dog, it needed to be a 'real dog'. I then suggested a greyhound, because I'd read an interview with Dame Judy Dench who raved about them. I was informed that they were 'skinny, ugly dogs'. So I went away to do some more research.

Six months later, I returned to the fray. 'Real' dogs in Australia often mean working breeds or bully breeds. Given we were both workers, a working breed needed too much time and stimulation. A bully breed just didn't appeal. And I'd kept on gazing at various greyhound sites doing my research. So one Sunday morning, we were lying in bed and I was asked what I wanted to do. I told him that there was a greyhound adoption group doing a meet and greet at a pound about half an hour away. I suggested we go along and just meet some in the flesh. Hubby agreed and off we went.

When we arrived at the pound, he pulled on my arm and swung me round to face him. He then said, very seriously, 'Now. You know we aren't taking one home today, right? We're just having a look and a think. OK? So no getting attached.' I agreed, very seriously, and we headed in to find the greyhounds.

Brandi and Paige were the two on display. As soon as she saw us, Brandi pulled her handler over to us and threw herself into my arms. She quivered, and leant, and snuggled, and when I stood up, she did the same to hubby. Meanwhile, I got some more information and was introduced to Paige who, frankly, couldn't care less. I got the info, had a good talk, and then we walked away. We got about 20 metres away when hubby stopped. And sighed. I asked him what was wrong. He told me he wanted to go back. So we did, to the same reception. I was then told that, if we wanted, we could fill in a form with our details, so we could think about it some more. We walked away again, and again, hubby stopped. I asked him if he wanted me to fill in the form for adoption and submit it, and we dashed back so I could.

This was just so we could 'think about it'. No commitments were made.

My sense of direction is terrible, so it took me a while to realise that, on the way home, we weren't going straight home and that hubby was, instead, heading for the nearest large pet store, to 'price some things'. He also spent the whole ride home from the store imagining Brandi sitting on our back seat.

Later that night, I walked in to find him in a terrible state on the computer. When I asked what was wrong, he explained that he had been checking up on Brandi on the adoption site. But apparently lots of people had seen her and liked her because every time he refreshed the page or returned to it, her count had gone up! And would I please ring first thing in the morning to tell them that we wanted her! I pointed out that the counter was his, not someone else, so every time he visited to page, he added to the number, but I did ring at 9.00 the next morning. That Friday Brandi came home.

So, yeah, husband's say they want to 'think about it'. But given the right dog, everything changes.

OK, so when & why did you then get Paige? She's the second dog that TeriD needs to know about.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

So after we got Brandi home, we discovered that she was very very insecure. She wouldn't walk, suffered terrible SA, I began alone training, googling madly and posting on here, and talking to the adoption group. I suggested we try a second just to see. Our adoption of Brandi was finalised a fortnight after she came home. Three days before then, hubby agreed to try Paige and she arrived the same day Brandi was finalised. SA almost completely resolved immediately.

Of course, Paige was high prey, non responsive and ignored hubby for six months. He was then allowed to touch her. Right dog for Brandi. My little princess. Hubby has really, only nearly four years later and the arrival of two other hounds, bonded with her.

I love that story!!! My husband did say after a few days of having Rosey,"when you first told me you wanted a dog I was imagining a disaster. But Rosey is awesome." And she is. Thanks for the reality check regarding ify husbands ;)

I'm determined to wait for the right dog....if that's Colorado Ed then so be it but my VERY FIRST concern is my son. The newbie will absolutely have to be great with kids. Get past that...he needs to be cat friendly....THEN we find a match for Rosey Roo. So it may be a process. I sent in my application so once it's approved I can look at hounds at my leisure and decide which one is perfect for our family. May be a lot of weekend drives since I do not live near the adoption agency but it should be worth it.

:) Trevor, who came in over the weekend, is my #14.

It's a sickness!! I'm quickly catching on to that. Fortunately or unfortunately we live in a small ranch so space is limited.

Do you have a couch? That is my question to anyone who says that they don't have a lot of / enough / adequate space. Do you have a couch? Then you're good :lol

Signed me, FiveRoooooers :lol

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.