Ben (Task Rapid Wave) May 5, 2002 - Nov 2, 2015

greytpups

11193213_10204652345019055_1571156064222

Cardiomyopathy..oh how I hate this word.

Unexpectantly, we had to say good bye to Ben this morning. He seemed fine until last evening when he gradually got weaker and weaker and was not able to stand on his own. Our vet came to our home this morning, and while we held him, pet him and kissed him, we also said good bye. Although we would never be ready to say good bye, Ben was tired and this was most loving thing we could do for him.

I will never be able to write a proper tribute to him, he was so special and we love him so much, I could never put this into words. There was always something special about him, even though we had 3 greyhounds, everyone gravitated towards Ben. And how often do we get to spend 10.5 glorious years with our hounds...I will always treasure this.

It's comforting knowing that even though this was unexpected, Ben got to do many of the things he loved this past weekend. He went on lots of walks, went to the farm where he could sniff and smell everything to his heart's content. He got his last walk at the Farmers' Market on Saturday where he had become a favouite of some of the vendors who showered him with love and, more importantly, yummy treats. We are so blessed that he was so healthy right up to the end and never suffered.

I am also very thankful that Ben attended Dewey one last time this year and I got some pics of him running on the beach...unleashed. Ben spent more of his life off-leash than on and I took a lot of crap from some people, but it was worth every second to watch the look of pure joy on his face. He welcomed 3 females into our home and did a greyt job of training them, and for this I will always be grateful.

I have lots of pics of him and created some photo books, so we will always have lots of wonderful memories. I know at some point, I will be able to look at them and smile, but right now my heart is too badly broken, I am overwhelmed with giref, and just need to breathe to get through some of this pain. We love you Ben with all of our heart and will always miss you.

Goodbye sweet Ben, you were the best greyhound ever. You will rest in our hearts forever.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I am so sorry for your loss. I am glad that you were able to take him to Dewey this year. I enjoyed seeing the photos that you took there. He had a wonderful life and he knew he was loved. RIP Ben.

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

Sweet, lovely, gentle Ben. I still remember the first time you ever saw him at NCR. I'm so very sorry. He was such a presence in our little group; he'll be missed. I'm sure he's been greeted at the bridge by Phoenix, Loca, Treasure and all of the others.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I'm so sorry for your loss of sweet Ben. :grouphug

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Oh Jan, I'm so very sorry. My heart hurts for you. Ben was indeed special and I'm so glad I had the chance to meet him. Godspeed sweet boy.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I feel honored to have met Ben. He had such a gentle old soul. He was one in a million. :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Oh, Jan... I am devastated read this. Sending you hugs across the miles. I feel so privileged to have met Ben. What a beautiful soul, I'm glad you got to have those treasured memories in his final months and days. He had a wonderful thirteen (and a half) years... gotta count that half. Hoping Henry met him at the bridge. :cry1

There are no words. Jan, I am so terribly sorry. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest goofydog

There are no words to express my sadness at hearing this news.Godspeed to you Ben, he of the softest coat ever. I am sending cyberhugs to you and Dave.

Oh Jan. I am so sorry. My breath stopped when I saw the heading of your post. No matter how long they stay, they never stay long enough. Do they?

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

oh, jan, i'm crying for you and dave. from the moment i met him at dewey so many years ago, ben was my boyhound crush---though i know i was only one of his many admirers. and it's so easy to see why. he could draw people to him so effortlessly, with that gentle gaze and sweet demeanor. and to see him with you and dave and his sisters---oh my gosh, his devotion just made my heart soar. how blessed you all were to have found each other, and to have had such a wonderful life together. that just makes his loss even harder to bear, so please be gentle with yourself and know that so many of your friends and ben's friends are sharing your sadness.

do you think you could post more pictures? he was so very beautiful, inside and out. :beatheart

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown