Wisconsin Folks: Surgeon Recommendation

We have not gotten chest x-rays yet but want to be prepared if Pogo is a good candidate for leg amputation. We need to find a grey savvy surgeon. We live near Marshfield. Has anyone used the vets in Appleton? Green Bay? Madison? Does anyone recommend the vet school in Madison?

Thanks

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

Appleton is my hometown. I have always heard great things about the Fox Valley Animal Referral Center. Here's the website: http://fvarc.com/ It also serves as the area's e-vet, which means that the clinic is fully staffed 24/7, which could be nice post-surgery.

Best wishes for Pogo and for you as you move forward with his diagnosis.

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

While the referral clinic in Appleton is expensive they are very good. Unfortunately I have been there several times. Not for amputation, but for emergencies.

I have never used the vet school, but know several people who have. They were very satisfied.

I would choose the one that will be easier to get to, you will most likely make several trips there.

Edited by gryhndsr4us

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

Honestly? The skill of the surgeon matters--but amputating a leg is amputating a leg. They don't need to be a greyhound savvy surgeon--and truthfully, any board certified surgeon is going to be well aware of the differences in greyhound blood chemistry. Just make sure they have Amicar available.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Amicar is now in short supply.

This is what I posted in another thread:

Recently I asked Dr Couto again about Amicar and Tranexamic Acid:

Amicar In out study we showed that dogs >35kg were more prone to bleeding if receiving 500 mg (so I would use 750-1000)

Tranexamic Acid 650 mg is fine (This was in response to me asking again about compounding, since TA only comes in 650 mg)

Your vet can write the Rx for TA. It will be an "off label use". Here it only cost about $35. Amicar, if you can find it, will run $550-650 for the 5 day dosage.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

UW Madison Veterinary Hospital!!!! They are the most compassionate, skilled people I have ever met. I have met with the Oncology team, Orthopedic team, Dentistery team, and all were phenomenal. Costs were in line, nothing extreme. Please let me know if I can be of any help with who to contact. I would be happy to help.

UW Madison Veterinary Hospital!!!! They are the most compassionate, skilled people I have ever met. I have met with the Oncology team, Orthopedic team, Dentistery team, and all were phenomenal. Costs were in line, nothing extreme. Please let me know if I can be of any help with who to contact. I would be happy to help.

Sandy, I tried messaging you but I was unable to. Who do you recommend at UW Madison?

Annette, mom to Banjo (AJN Spider Man) & Casey (kitty), wife to Roy. Mom to bridgekids: Wheat (GH), Icabod (GH), Scarlett (Cab's Peg Bundy), Rhett (Kiowa Day Juice), Dixie (Pazzo Dixie), Pogo/Gleason (Rambunctious), and Miriam (Miriam of Ruckus) and Spooky, Taffy, Garfield, & Lefty (kitties)

I don't have any suggestions for you, but if you end up in this area and need anything, let me know.

thanks