Zylkene - Prescription Only?

MattB

I should have done all of this sooner but I'd forgotten how upset Charlie gets with fireworks which will be intermittent where we live for the next couple of weeks. I just rang my vet and asked if they could prescribe anything and if I could pick it up or if I'd need to bring Charlie in. They said that the product they sell is called Zylkene but I'd need to book a consultation as it was prescription only (I was hoping that both my hounds could use it). I looked up Zylkene on the internet just to get some opinions but unless I'm mistaken I can order this online without prescription - the website is referring to it as a supplement rather than a medication.

So what I was wondering is firstly is this going to be exactly the same product as I'd get in the vets? And if so, is there any reason not to order online myself - I'm not trying to avoid consultation fees if it's important that we get prescribed this product from a vet, but obviously if it's not necessary I'd prefer not to go.

We haven't used Zyklene but we've used Trazodone. It also will require a vet visit and prescription.

We've since switched to Richard's Organic Pet Calm. I order it from Chewy.com http://www.chewy.com/dog/richards-organics-pet-calm-clamshell/dp/43611

I give Mazy one full eyedropper of the liquid when I see she senses and thunderstorm or hears fireworks. Within a few minutes she stops shaking and will lie down in a back bedroom. For storms of long duration I have given her an additional dropper full.

Years ago I used Rescue Remedy and found it to be useless.

I've never been able to find Richard's Organic Pet Calm in any store so I order it online.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

It's OTC in USA. Based on ingredients, I'd be very surprised if it wasn't OTC in other countries as well. Sounds like a misunderstanding to me or just an accidental misstatement. I'd also be very surprised if it worked well for a fireworks phobia but it might help take the edge off. If you are just trying to reduce his anxiety a bit then go ahead & order some. However, if you really want something that will make a significant difference, I'd lay odds you'll still need that consultation for something that really is prescription.

Or the short version: Might as well try it but don't get your hopes up.

Thanks kudzu - yes maybe I didn't get the whole story over the phone - I understood this at the time as Zyklene was all they would give us for the firework season.

Thanks also macoduck - doesn't look like it will be as easy to get hold of in the UK but I will continue to look.

L-theanine (marketed as Anxitane in dog chewable form, but imo not worth the cost difference when you can buy the human supplement and put it in a pill pocket or some PB), Composure chews, & Zylkene are all natural options you can by on your own. Having said that, if his fear is severe, they may take the edge off a bit, but probably won't really do the job. Try and if they don't, set up the consult iwth your vet to get Trazodone.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

You don't need a prescription for Zylkene in the UK and it's a lot cheaper if you don't buy it through your vet. I started using it a few weeks ago for fireworks season, along with Skullcap and Valerian tablets, but I also have valium from the vet for when things get really bad, as Zylkene and the herbal tablets alone aren't enough.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

If your vet suggests ACE, say No! Immobilizes the dog and they will still be terrified.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thanks so much everyone. From other posts and fb comments I've read our two aren't as terrified as some. I will try some of the suggested and if they are no help then I will head to the vet (maybe a different one).

Melatonin is another option. Melatonin + a dog bed next to the bath tub + a stuffed kong was what worked for helping Neyla overcome her fear.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."