Need Help On What To Do Next :( Limping

Guest rennina

Guest rennina

I got this from Dr Couto:

"It is unlikely to be an osteochondroma, since those usually make new bone, so it shows up white on the X-rays (not black, as in Mistys). I would wait for Dr. Boileau to hear back from the pathologist (I sent him some questions). If that does not help, I would consider repeating the X-rays. A CT should help, and I would consider potentially doing a biopsy while she is under for the CT. "

I'm struggling...I will consider repeating the X rays, although she had hard time recovering from sedation last time. I don't know about biopsy...The lameness didn't bother her a lot, but she is really upset from the vet visits. Will biopsy give me a diagnosis for sure? I don't want to have her suffer and get another negative result again

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rennina

She wouldn't lay on her back and hold still. She was too nervous :( In fact she couldn't go into the vet's office without crushing on the floor from shaking too hard. Poor girl.

I think I'll pass the biopsy at least for now, and do another X ray next week. Her VF titer result hasn't come back yet.

I would send the new images to Couto to let him compare them from the last set. Personally, at this point I would run a ct scan.

The scan will provide a lot of valuable information one being where to biopsy if necessary. Depending on where you have the scan run they may be able to biopsy that lesion at the same time.

Edited to add-remind Dr Couto that a prior biopsy was performed--I believe you can see that area on the lateral view.

Edited by tbhounds

Guest rennina

Dr. Couto said it's most likely (> 90%) a primary bone tumor. But due to the unusual spot he wants to know if it could be tumors other than Osteosarcoma. He is traveling this week, so I probably won't get an answer until next Wed. He will be reviewing the cytology slides.

Dr. Barr who took these X-rays confirmed it is Osteosarcoma. He said 90% but that's the highest he can go. I'm so so sad. I decided not to do the biopsy or amputation. So pain meds only at this point.

I'm sorry your news hasn't been better. Hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry you've gotten this news. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Hold onto hope. Osteo in a 3 yr old Akc hound is soooooo rare. There are other bone tumors that mimic Osteo and may not carry such a grim prognosis.

Wait for Dr Couto's response to the slides.

Agree! I know it might not change anything, but I'm still holding out hope for you. Feel free to join the osteo thread in H&M for more resources too.

Just to give you some food for thought, my Henry got diagnosed at age 5 with what his vet was almost certain was osteosarcoma. We opted to amp the leg, sent the tumor out for pathology, and a week later, it came back NOT osteo. We were stunned. It turned out to be a less aggressive type called spindle cell sarcoma. Nothing really changed concerning the treatment, because it was still cancer, and the bone was still ruined. But the type of cancer was much less aggressive. He got almost two amazing years after that. He eventually passed away from still another type of cancerous mass (not in a bone). Don't lose hope just yet. :goodluck

Guest rennina

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate it. Fingers crossed that Dr. Couto will have some findings from the cytology slides. I would feel so bad if we have to do another FNA.

Misty is doing well so far. Adding tramadol seemed to help her as she's more active today.

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate it. Fingers crossed that Dr. Couto will have some findings from the cytology slides. I would feel so bad if we have to do another FNA.

Misty is doing well so far. Adding tramadol seemed to help her as she's more active today.

So glad to see the tramadol is helping. Adding my hope that you get encouraging news from Dr. Couto. :hope

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

How awful for you with such a young hound..... :(

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest rennina

Misty is still doing well, even better. The swelling seems getting a little bigger, though. She's even started using that leg a bit, which makes me worried.