Still trying to get Ruby to eat better and not having much luck. I think I am going to try adding a mixture of deliciousness to her food ( Mega boiled chicken, rice and no sodium chicken broth) and see if that helps. I keep seeing people mention rice, and in the past I have used white rice when her tummy was upset. I also see that some of you recommend brown rice. Which one is better and why ? Thanks

Karen

my vet told my white rice only that dogs do not digest brown rice. try cooking rice in part chicken broth/part water or better yet cook your protein source(chicken in your case) in the rice. a little cabs go a long way- firms up stool and adds weight (which you want). make sure you over cook the rice, add more water than the instructions call for. the cheaper the brand the better for your pocket book, it's all the same- they don't care if the grains are broken.

I don't know which is better for dogs, but I know the difference in white and brown rice. Brown rice has had the bran and another part removed, and those parts contain a lot of vitamins and fiber. That's why brown rice is healthier. I am not sure if dogs can digest this bran layer, but it seems weird to me that considering how much you overcook rice for dogs that they wouldn't be able to :)

Brown rice still has the bran and the hull, which dogs don't digest anyway, so white rice is fine. I always poach the chicken first and then use the leftover broth to cook the rice. Use twice as much liquid and cook until it's mushy - otherwise, it won't be digested properly no matter what type it is.

Other things to consider - overcooked pasta, peeled and mashed white potatoes, peeled and mashed sweet potatoes and/or pumpkin, chickpeas, regular green peas.

If you decide to try sweet potatoes or pumpkin there is a canned product that I like. Making quantities of either vegetable two or three times a week gets old really fast.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YK8YU6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Also, there's no law that says your dog *must* eat kibble. It's only a cost cutting measure for us humans! One of mine only eats canned food with sweet potatoes and she's doing fine. Yes, it's much more expensive than kibble, but it's worth it to me to not have the stress of what she'll eat at mealtimes.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I've used both white and brown without any issues (I figure if they are good enough for me, they are good enough for them). HOWEVER because white is often cheaper than brown, I tend to use that. Both IMO work quite well. I also use pasta as an alternative. Buy bags of elbows on sale and good to go! Either rice or pasta I will make enough for a few meals at a time so I'm not making a serving of it twice a day. Tonight I'm making chicken alfredo, so guess who will be having pasta for the next few days? (Both of us!)

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I would use white. Their bodies will not break down the hull of brown rice unless you cook if forever and then blend it up. Much easier to just use white. Also, brown rice does not have the same stool firming benefits as the white rice.

Oatmeal or pasta work well too and sweet potato helps to add in more nutrition to the mix.

Thanks everyone. I think I will stick with the white. I was thinking about doing the chicken, rice and some pumpkin along with low sodium chicken broth and cooking it until the bones fall apart. Then I am thinking about pureeing it into a pourable thick liquid and putting a bit on her meals. Might work a couple weeks. I keep saying I am not going to worry about her eating each time I try something and fail, but I just keep trying.

Karen

Cook a sweet potato until its mush (I poke holes in a scrubbed sweet potato, wrap it in foil, and throw it in the oven when i'm using the oven. And if your sweetheart won't eat it, you can use the leftover for sweet potato bread (which is a fabulous sweet bread, adaptable for gluten-free - requires ~1c mashed sweet potato). Good luck.