Benadryl For How Long?

Guest jaxshumans

Guest jaxshumans

Hi everyone,

Over the weekend Jax developed an on-again-off-again limp (mostly on hard surfaces), so when I couldn't find evidence of corns and it didn't go away on its own, I took him in to the vet. The vet said he doesn't show the normal symptoms of osteo (what a relief), so she prescribed me an anti-inflammatory medicine to give him. If it doesn't go away after that, I'm taking him in for x-rays.

Later that day, poor Jax was stung by four yellow jackets. I called the vet and they said to bring him back in. He has some minor swelling around the areas he was stung, and they gave him a cortisol shot and prescribed some Benadryl. They also said to wait on the medicine for his limp until the Benadryl is done.

They prescribed him Benadryl twice a day for five days, which means I need to wait five days before giving him the medicine for his limp. Meanwhile, he's showing no allergic reaction to the bee stings. The initial swelling is gone and he's had no additional reactions. I explicitly asked the vet if I need to give him the full 5 days of Benadryl even if he shows no symptoms and he said yes.

I'm confused as to why I need to keep medicating him without symptoms, especially because meanwhile he is still limping and I can't give him his medicine for that while he's on the Benadryl!

Any words of wisdom? I don't want to go against doctor's orders, but it just seems off to me.

When Cash was stung and her nose swelled up the evet gave her a shot and then told me to give her Benedyl until the swelling went down and she appeared OK. That was only about 1- 2 days.before she was better. I stopped the Benedry then and she was fine. I myself was also once attcked by yellow jackets and sustained multiple stings. The human er dr did the same thing. Gave me a shot and told me to take NSAID for pain /Benedryl until I felt better. I quit taking anything the next day and was fine.

Guest DarkHorse

Araley ate or was stung in the mouth by a bee or wasp once, and her whole face swelled up. She got three Benadryl over the course of a day and a half, but once the swelling was completely gone, we stopped. With four stings at once, I might continue for an extra day just to make sure that the poison has been worked through, but otherwise, I would think it would be fine to stop once the swelling and other obvious symptoms are gone.

Guest jaxshumans

Thanks everyone! I'll keep him on it for another dose tonight to make sure the poison works itself out and start him on his other medicine tomorrow to help with the limp.

i would follow your vet's advice. i personally was stung by a wasp and had a good allergic reaction 7 days later!!! i used benadryl & compresses to neutralize the venom, stayed on benadryl for 2 days-(as well as my standard zyrtec) and then a week after my face blew up and was hot! fortunately no celluitits.. (sp?). i did end up going on steroids(which he is on).

the cortisol is an anti-inflammatory, that's why he doesn't want another one thrown into the cocktail. that could/should be helping w/ his limp. a couple of days won't make a big difference. but don't fool around w/ wasp/yellow jacket stings.....i know!

What does your vet think the "symptoms" of Osteo are, besides an unexplained limp????

George was stung multiple times once. I gave him one dose of Benadryl and the vet said if he didn't react in 45 minute, he was in the clear. 5 days seems very excessive. I also don't understand what it has to do with an NSAID for his limp.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

What does your vet think the "symptoms" of Osteo are, besides an unexplained limp????

George was stung multiple times once. I gave him one dose of Benadryl and the vet said if he didn't react in 45 minute, he was in the clear. 5 days seems very excessive. I also don't understand what it has to do with an NSAID for his limp.

Technically there should be a washout period between the use of a corticosteroid and an NSAID but, I would tend to think that this dog had an injection of dexamethasone -that should be out if the dogs body in 48 hours.

I can also only assume that the op's dog didn't react painfully during his exam (I know some of these guys are stoic).

Edited by tbhounds

Guest jaxshumans

Guest jaxshumans

She felt/massaged his leg and shoulders during the exam and he didn't seem like he was in any pain. Although I agree, that may just be because of the adrenaline of the vet visit. If the limp persists into next week I'm going to insist on X-rays.

For now, the limp is gone completely except for on the brief patch of sidewalk in front of our apartment. That sidewalk is basically cement with small pebble stones in it -- it's particularly rough. He doesn't have any limp walking on regular asphalt though.

have you checked for corns? do a search on GT and you will find lots of pics and info on corns. also, strange things happen- neck/shoulder issues, calcification of the bone which depending upon the location can irritate the muscle/tendon bundles(that can be the result of a past injury). yes, an x-ray will rule out the "great " fear. but do check the pads first. and yes, the steroid shot can be helping. let's hope for something minor- sprain/corn and that's about it as to the limp.