Oral Cancer-We Will Beat This?

Guest Annabelly

Guest Annabelly

Hi everyone,

Long time since I've posted! Maybe you remember my post about Manny two years ago when I became a part of his life. He is my first greyhound, and my heart dog. Easy. No question.

Manny has developed oral cancer. We are still waiting on official reports to determine what kind. All signs point to melanoma, but we're hoping spindle cell. Crazy right? You hope for one kind of cancer over the other...

Anyway, Manny has officially undergone a rostral mandibulectomy with optimistic results. They took his jaw back to p2, a little less than half.

Anyone have experienced with mandibulectomies? I have already contacted Dunquin's owner, but other than that u have found ZERO on greys who have had mandibulectomies. It would be wonderful to see, just to keep my spirits up, as we're still waiting for clean margins and the official 'cancer free' call.

Manny is a big, 77 lb, red fawn boy who has been forever stealing my heart with every new nuance of personality.

I have no experience with this type of cancer and am very sorry you and your boy are going through this.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

There was a dog named Kebo belonging to greytkidsmom here who lived well for years after a different radical oral surgery for cancer. You can search the archives for his many threads.

Good luck-- this sounds dreadful. I am sorry your boy and you are going through it.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

No experience but sending lots of hugs! {{{hugs}}}

Remember if you need a second opinion or even just someone to look over results, you can access Dr Couto here

http://www.coutovetconsultants.com/for-ownersadopters/

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Not a greyhound, but an older Sheltie in the family had this done. Nearly half the bottom jaw gone. He adjusted well and did well for a year or two following I believe before it was just old age that got him - but that was a long time ago and I don't remember that well. Hugs to you going through this.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest Annabelly

Thanks everyone. Manny is only 5, I assumed I had quite a few years left before I had to worry about osteo, but just our luck we got either soft tissue or melanoma. I am picking him up from hospital at 12. Nervous a out him. He's not eating there but the receptionist said he was obviously distraught. I have never boarded him. I'm sure it's traumatic, Surgeon said she couldn't get his bottom lip to curl up because the skin was so tight, so he will be quite drooly (like I care about that). I feel so much for my boy. I hope he doesn't see this as unnecessary. I just want him back!

Strange that there are so few greys with this particular surgery, I was told by the surgeon it is quite common in large dogs.

Guest Annabelly

Pam-it hadn't spread anywhere else that the ct scan picked up but we are of course following up with an oncologist. They believe he is a good candidate for the vaccine as the tumorning was miraculously still stage 1, even with it being 4 cm. So, hopefully we don't need it but I've heard it's much better than chemo so if we need it we need it.

Guest Annabelly

Manny is back home... I feel like I'm second guessing my decision... if he's not cancer free and I had his lower jaw removed... I cant even imagine. I'm scared and sad. He seems to be hurting. It's so so swollen but he is interested in his wet food...it's pretty graphic and I hope I did the right thing.

Major surgery is always hard to view from the outside. And usually the first two weeks are the worst. Wait until he's healed up and able to resume normal activities before evaluating the effectiveness of treatment.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Annabelly, you did the right thing!!!! I took my black lab to UW Madison and he had over 1/2 of the upper jaw removed. His tumor was so big that it was growing behind the eye socket. Yes, it was bad after we brought him home as there was pain and discomfort. But it has been 1 1/2 years and he is doing GREYT!!!! The oral surgeon said it was the largest tumor he's removed. The tumor was studied by 5 different pathologists at UW Madison and they could not come up with a definite cancer diagnosis. 2 said yes, 3 said no. His scan of the rest of the body was negative for any mets. So we brought him home and are just loving him. He was 10 when we did the surgery. I don't regret it for 1 minute.

Hang in there-post op can be tough but, it will get better. There are a few surgeons performing reconstructive surgery now-after he has healed this may be a future option for you.

Contact this department at UC Davis....

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vmth/small_animal/dentistry/clinical_studies_outcomes.cfm

Edited by tbhounds

No advice, just some hugs for you and your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Annabelly

Hi guys, we are hanging tight. Manny and I have been better today. I found a way to successfully trick him into his meds. It's easiest for him to eat a treat when he sits and I get on my knees. I am sooo glad I taught him sit now!

I have actually already looked into reconstruction, but I was under the impression that they did it WHILE he was under the same anasthesia for the tumor removal. Perhaps I will call uc davis again to see if it's still an option for us. They quoted me at 6 to 8 thousand dollars which I do not have, as this 5 thousand dollar surgery will be taking up most of my finances even with Pet insurance. For now I'm just glad I have him back. He is annoyed that I can only walk him for 5 minutes of his usual 45 minute walk and seems rather bored, but I'm trying to remind myself it's for the best even when he's whining at the door!

Guest Annabelly

Nope I was wrong, they would absolutely need the tumor removed and clean margins first before they would even consult with me. They would also do their own ct scan.

It also would definitely not be covered by pet insurance as its not necessary. I think manny is adorable either way, but it's kind of a cool thought to be able to say his jaw was reconstructed at uc davis. Too bad they don't do free surgeries for alumni anymore....

Would he meet any clinical trial protocols??? Perhaps consider a go me fund? Also, sometimes there are $'s available through some universities for folks like yourself that could use a little help. Don't hesitate to make some calls.

Glad your boy has improved since being home ;-)

Guest LazyBlaze

All good wishes to you and gentle hugs to Manny as he recovers. You did the right thing to give him a chance with the surgery. FIngers crossed for you all for a good outcome and many happy times ahead.

Guest Annabelly

Another update: Manny is doing very well at home and his meds give him no bad side affects except being a bit 'out of it'for an hour or so. It breaks my heart when a treat falls from his mouth on the floor and he can't pick it up to save his life, but I'm sure we can work on that! 😅 I may try a go fun me account at some point, but it'll probably be a year or so before I can take off another week or two from work for his recovery-I was very thankful my boss was able to facilitate me leaving on such sort notice. Pretty sure Manny is hating that I get to spend 24/7 with him and none of that includes the dog park, but he'll have to deal for now! He is also INCREDIBLY drooly and it becomes comical when it's time to eat. I am embarrassed to say I've actually slipped on a drool spot. So far, immense feelings of relief have outweighed anything negative because he is ALIVE and happy. I'll post a picture soon when he is fully healed.

I am so glad Manny is doing well. Continued good thoughts for you and your boy.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.