Bun And Creatine Blood Results

Guest Rogersmom

What antibiotic was Roger on? You said he was on it because of the positive lepto test, but you also said he had a UTI. Was he on 2 different ABs? If I'm wrong I hope tbhounds or someone else will correct me, but typically lepto is treated with doxycycline, which isn't the best AB for clearing urinary tract infections. Is there a follow up test you can do to make sure the lepto is gone/controlled? I'm guessing maybe they can check titer values.

My point is, if it were me, is want to make darn sure any possible underlying cause for the kidney issue were treated while also working on getting those kidneys functioning again. There is a company that makes really good organ support supplements. I believe you'd have to get it through your vet, but its worth a shot. Certainly in the can't hurt, might help category. And I forget the name of the company every single time I want to recommend it so I'll edit my post when it comes to me, ack! :P

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Rogersmom

Roger completed a 30 course of doxycycline. His urine test showed no bacteria and he is now negative for lepto. His back legs are swelling. He is not eating much. I have reduced the amount of protein he is receiving. He is taking Benzepril 10 mg and Amlodipine 5 mg twice a day plus 2 fish oil capsules three times a day and 1/4 baby aspirin. It was also recommended that I add 50 mg once a day of spironolactone due to the swelling in his legs. I have not obtained any K/D diet food for him yet as I am worried about his food allergies adding to the problem (poultry, fish, soy, corn, egg, white potato, and sage. He has lickedhis feet almost raw. I got him a blow up collar but I think he can still get at his feet while wearing it but not as easily as without it. Roger has lost about 12 pounds and today seems sleepier than usual.

Thanks Batmom. My vet does not seem to think that recovery is possible. She feels that since he is a greyhound, if he does tno throw a clot, he will last a year.

Hugs for you and your dearest boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If I'm interpreting your posts correctly it sounds like your hound has protein losing neuropathy. With limb swelling and most likely ascities the prognosis is rather grim. To be honest I'm not sure why he's not hospitalized at this point. If his blood proteins are low enough to see limb swelling he really should be on a hetastarch drip.

Have you consulted with an internal medicine Dr?

Guest Rogersmom

Roger is in the care of a canine board certified internal medicine doctor. They have not suggest hospitalizing Roger. He is currently taking amlodipine besylate 5 mg and benazepril HCL 10 mg. Twice a day, two fish oil capsules three times a day. and 50 mg spironolactone once a day. I think the medicine is helping as he seems more active today and has a good appetite. Thank you for your post.