Loss Of Rang Of Motion

So Dino was in to the Vet for some booster shots and a look over.

Since Dino's mystery rear leg injury last winter the vet always checks his back end.

The vet noticed that his rear legs don't have as much range of motion. I doesn't seem to slow him down back yard zoomies a few times a week and Greyhound playgroup once a month.

Dino is 7 year old large male at a little over 90 lbs, yes he is a little over weight his race weight was 85 lbs

He already take Greyhound gang get up and go.

So grettalkers what else can I do, give my big boy to get those long legs moving a little better?

Thanks,

Ryan

Dino and Stella

Try Next Level joint fluid, it is recommended by top trainers in the greyhound racing world. It worked wonders for my 12.5 year old girl last year, she really became a lot more agile.

You might want to try cold laser talents, too.

Next Level is for dogs and horses, don't let the label throw you off!

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Get the excess weight off. The less weight his joints have to carry the less hard they have to work. Five pounds doesn't sound like much, but I bet you will really see the difference.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We are making an effort to get the weight down. I was surprised that his weight had gotten back up.

Dino does get two pumps of Salmon oil in his dinner at night.

Has anyone tried CMO in addition to the he golcosamean/ condition?

Thanks,

Dino and Stella

I would have suggested as the others before to loose some weight and find a nice physiotherapy for your boy. I take mine to physio every 6 weeks or so.

And I give dried st. John's wort and lemon balm to their diet, one teaspoon every evening to help with their mobility.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Also, work with a therapist to teach you some basic muscle massage techniques ... I'm finding that my hounds are getting a bit stiff ever since I moved from a tri-level to a ranch house (great for me & my knees, but consequences). Mine love the massage with a bit of essential oils on my hands (I use Marjoram to minimize muscle spasms, adding a bit of lavender and peppermint to boost its strength & improve the smell).

Chiro. Chiro chiro chiro. Regular therapy will help. You'll have to likely start 2-3 times a week and then taper back to once etc depending on well he's progressing.

I also put Kasey on supplements when he started to struggle with jumping up on the bed. Springtime sells Fresh Factors that really helped him with his back end.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

My Katie was "walking oddly", and I took her to a rehab spot. They diagnosed her with extremely tight hip flexors and iliopsoas (it's the tendon/muscle group that turns the leg in), and taught me some stretches that I can do at home. it seems to really help, and we do the cold laser/acupuncture/PT as well. Today should be our last evaluation and I am going to see what they recommend about maintaining the progress at home.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

i second the chiropractor

not all supplement brands are equal. my chiropractor tested the get up and go on felix the first time i brought him in, she's into some alternative stuff that i'm not really up on. but of the get up and go package the croidointon (sp) was the only one she said works for him. i've changed brands and have added hope's EFAC powder(her suggestion) to the msm,& glucosamine fish oil for his coat. quite honestly- the adjustments seem to do the trick.

he was running at the beach last week(not dewey- our local beach on the sound) and he couldn't move after. lower back and neck needed serious adjustment. now he's back w/ a spring in his step and out of pain. felix is 8.5 years old, but the problems started during his 7th year. i had noticed a decline in his sprinting on the beach and soreness after.

i have to laugh at katie's tight hip flexors- my chiropractor seems to be telling me that mine are super tight as well. i've been working out on the stationary bike- has katie??

Ryan, if you want to try a chiro, look up Dr. Malinda Venegas. She does home visits and you are probably in her service area. She does dogs and horses. I used her for my old boy, Turbo, and she helped him a lot (his corn caused compensation issues). I recommended her to several of my friends as well, and they also reported good results.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Thanks all I am going to look into a chiropractor and add some other supplements. I can say that he isn't showing any pain is goes crazy every day when I come home wanted to play, spinning and running around its just that his rear legs don't extend as far back as they use to forward no problem.

Dino and Stella