Sporadic Night-Time Incontinence In An Older Female Grey

Diana now occasionally pees the bed at night, starting a couple months ago. She's 11, and has chronic kidney disease. About a year ago I suspected that she was leaking pee occasionally at night, asked the vet, and he put her on meds for "older female dog night-time incontinence". Well, one of the side-effects of the meds is anorexia! She totally stopped eating. So, we stopped the meds, and figured out that it was probably her OCD licking that was causing the wet spots.

No - there's no doubt, as this is different than before. This is NOT a big licking wet spot. This is her emptying her bladder in her sleep.

She sleeps in our bed. If she wants out in the night, we get up and let her out (fenced yard). No biggie. She's older and if she needs to go out during the night that's fine. She wants out during the night maybe twice per week, otherwise she's fine all night.

This morning I got up early for work, Diana and DH were snoozing happily. She didn't get up to go out. An hour later, DH woke up in a puddle, and Diana was still sleeping. This has happened once every 2-3 weeks over the last few months.

She's obviously occasionally releasing her bladder in her sleep. But I don't want to put her back on the incontinence meds. She's thin as a rail anyway from the kidney disease.

BTW -she always goes out before I go to bed between 11-12.

Thoughts? Advice?

I think you might want to try the panties used for female dogs in heat, and add a pad for the moisture. You don't want her in the wet for long, but it sounds as if it's only the last couple of hours of the night are the problem, and most of the pads are very good at wicking moisture away from the body.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I had the same issue with my girl who also has kidney issues. I didn't want to use the veterinary drugs so instead use Sage Leaf capsules for her. She has no incontinence at all now.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Which medication did you try? If Proin/PPA, might be worth trying DES or Incurin instead.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

As you may or may not recall, my George had mysterious, never ending urinary issues.

I ended up using a waterproof mattress cover, for one, and also using a hospital bed pad on the part of the bed he slept on.

Saved my sanity since the thousands of dollars I spent at the vet didn't seem to do much good!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

My eldest boy Bernie wets the bed at night. My eldest two also did at the age of 13-14. I gave Laurie herbal drops, but I can't find the name right now. Also, I've read acupuncture helps. In many cases, I've tried to treat my guys homeopathic rather than subject them to drugs with nasty side effects.

Guest TheGirlz

Our 11.5yo has old girl incontinence she would empty her entire bladder while asleep) however she has no kidney issues so hot sure how that would work for you. She was originally on drops but can't remember the name but we found this hard to give as she would pretty much just spit it out. So we moved to Incurin which is a tablet that we give with a dollop of peanut butter (everything goes down easy with peanut butter). She has not had a "leakage" since and has been on it for about a year with no side effects.

Which medication did you try? If Proin/PPA, might be worth trying DES or Incurin instead.

I second the vote for DES if it was not what you had tried before...

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

DES was a lifesaver for Peace, we had her on Proin for just a bit until I got nervous reading about the side effects.

Just an FYI regarding the DES side effects. Bone marrow suppression is listed as a side effect however, the dosage used to treat urinary incontinence is so low you wouldn't see that as a side effect.

Edited by tbhounds