Cat Training In Progress!

Guest Tuxsmom

Guest Tuxsmom

Cat training coming along nicely! Each day brings more calm, less interest, and more exposure. I have to say my cats are making this so much easier. They refuse to run. They either hunker down or walk slowly away. Honey Bun follows sniffing from head to tail with her muzzle on. She alerts on cat movement but doesn't go bonkers trying to catch. Outside we have been off lead with a muzzle and she has walked past my barn cats with no interest. She chased one that ran for about three strides, then veered off and lost interest. We are going to do this slow and steady, and safely. But I'm pretty sure we have cat-workable here. So relieved!!!!!!

image_4.jpg

Guest Tuxsmom

Yay! Looks like your kitty is enjoying the show. (What show is that? I can't tell but it looks kind of scifi :lol)

Guardians of the Galaxy! I keep something scifi on all the time 👍😃.

So happy with this girl..,we just took the last potty break before bed...muzzle on, no lead, (secure yard)...trotted past two walking cats and just perked ears and kept trotting. I am using lots of praise for ignoring. And use a low-voiced EAAAASSSEYY when she shows more interest. I get down on the ground and make a huge praise fest when she responds to "easy" and turns away to comeback to me. I'm being very clear with my timing.

I have no training ...just trying to use common sense and a lot of the logic I use when working with my horses!

I'm sure you already know that even a dog who is 100% reliable with cats INSIDE may not necessarily be trustworthy with a cat outside.

Like both my first and current hounds!

Just in case you DIDN'T know this! Good luck.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Tuxsmom

I'm sure you already know that even a dog who is 100% reliable with cats INSIDE may not necessarily be trustworthy with a cat outside.

Like both my first and current hounds!

Just in case you DIDN'T know this! Good luck.

Yep! Prepared for this possibility but hoping for 100% all the way around. My previous two girls would watch a cat take off in front of them in the yard (cat zoomies) and react with a yawn. 👍

Worst case, honey may have to always wear a muzzle when off lead in the yard...but it looks like we are leaning in the right direction!

Edited by Tuxsmom

Took ONE nose slap for our new boy to fall in line. Cat is now top animal in our house. LOL He looks to the cat on how to react to loud noises, which being deaf dont bother her so he has no issues with fireworks or loud noises. LOVES watching planes fly over though..LOL

• 2 weeks later...