Blood In Urine And Now Low Platelet Count

Guest dolo1967

Guest dolo1967

I have a 7 yr old female (Patsy) adopted rescue greyhound (I believe she came from a Florida or Alabama track). She has been having urinary issues for about 3 months now (and has a past history of UTIs, according to all her past vet records). We have been to our local vet 3 or four times and they have run a battery of blood (CBC, and other test), urine (sterile culture has been done) and x-rays on her without really being able to tell what is going on.

She has been on a couple of rounds of antibiotics (last round was SMZ-TMP) with really no good results. All the past urine test have come up positive for microscopic amounts of blood and her x-rays did not show any stones (bladder or kidney). Her kidney and liver functions “worried” our local vet, but I do not have the lab results for specifics at this time. Yesterday she started to pee visible blood so we spent the evening at the emergency vet clinic. They did an ultrasound which showed no negative results, but the vet did say she was not an expert reading the ultrasound. They also ran a CBC and a SNAP 4DX Plus (this came up negative) but her platelets were low. The machine counted 50K, so they counted under a microscope and they came up 30K. The emergency vet did say that her platelets were large and immature, with not a lot of “older” platelets. Which she said showed her that platelet production was not a concern but destruction somewhere within the body is taking place. The emergency vet was very concerned about this lack of platelets so we started her on steroids and have to follow up with our local vet tomorrow morning.

Any input on this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You very much

Please request a referral to an internal medicine vet asap.

I am sorry you are going through this - not the same presentation, but one of my hounds is currently being treated for IMHA - Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anaemia. His story is here.

Please keep us posted. Keeping your Patsy in my thoughts.

The hematuria (bloody urine) may not even be related to the lower platelet count. You wrote that they ran an in house platelet count--was the manual count run on a different blood draw? Clumping mentioned? Regarding the chronic urinary inflammation--have they checked your girls vulva---might it be hooded?

Guest dolo1967

Update - Patsy's urine shows no visible signs of blood as of two pees ago. She did have a couple of times this morning in which you could see blood. So that is good for the short term, the steroids must have increased the platelet count to slow the bleeding from her urinary tract??

As for a couple of questions that have been asked, I will try my best to answer.

The blood draw was done once yesterday and they completed a count on the lab machine and also conducted a manual count from the same draw. No issue was mentioned concerning clumping with the RBC, WBC or the platelets. The only issue mentioned yesterday, was that the platelets were (the majority) immature.

As far as the female genitalia, I can only assume that our vet has inspected all potential issues. Our vet has done procedures (x-ray for example) in which Patsy has been out and she has done a physical on her. With that being said I will bring this issue up tomorrow when I talk to our local vet.

As for Dr Couto, I have not heard of him before. Are you asking if I have spoken to this vet? Or is there a web site?

Dr Guillermo Couto might as well be called Dr Greyhound. For years he headed the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program that was headquartered at Ohio State. Now he has his own practice, but he's available for consultations. Many greyhound owners will consult with him and get him to review xrays and lab work when cancer is suspected, but he's also quite familiar with immune system problems. Lots of vets familiar with greyhounds and their issues will know of Dr Couto by name. Click the underlined text for a link to his site. He travels quite a bit, but his staff can relay info to him and get timely replies.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)