Odd Separation Anxiety....

Guest TeriD

So some back drop: I'm the main care giver of Rosey. I'm the one who mainly feeds her, I walk her, I'm with her all day bc I work from home....anyway...when I'm downstairs in my office she's absolutely fine. No whining, no pacing...nothing. She's flopped out sleeping half the time. But that's when I'm home alone with her.

If my husband is home and I have to run some errands and he's downstairs in the office all she does is whine and pace until he comes up stairs with her. If we are both home and he's outside or downstairs she perfectly fine.

So...what's the deal? I told him that the next time I'm not around and she's doing that to crate her so he can get work done.

If I'm home alone during the day and I have to run quickly to the post office or something I leave her out of the crate and when I come home she's still sleeping like I never left. No signs of distress at all. I'm confused....any ideas???

She needs to have some better bonding time with your DH. She trusts *you* but not him, so much. Have him take over some of the day-to-day caring of her for a few weeks - especially feeding and walking. If that's not possible, have him so something special with her every day - some training, go for a short ride, a quick walk around the block - anything that's just the two of them. She won't be comfortable with this at first, but he should persevere gently and with lots of yummy treats.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

She needs to have some better bonding time with your DH. She trusts *you* but not him, so much. Have him take over some of the day-to-day caring of her for a few weeks - especially feeding and walking. If that's not possible, have him so something special with her every day - some training, go for a short ride, a quick walk around the block - anything that's just the two of them. She won't be comfortable with this at first, but he should persevere gently and with lots of yummy treats.

Yes I agree! He's unable to do some of these things because he works out of the home and then when he gets home he works too since we own a business but I never thought of simple training exercises he can do with her. Great idea! Thank you. And Rosey LOVES cheese so that may persuade her too ;)

Yep. Rosey needs to learn that your DH is a good caregiver too, and someone she can trust. He needs to be more involved in her activities (feeding/walking,etc) without you so she learns to trust him too. Something as simple as him giving meals, or doing a walk, can quickly gain her trust.

This is NOT that weird. Also, not that hard to fix.