Greyhound Has Different Rules For Individual Cats

Guest Tuxsmom

Guest Tuxsmom

So as I'm about to embark on the fun task of introducing a new greyhound into my crazy cat house...I was curious about this.

Greyhound & cat owners: Does your greyhound have a different set of rules for different cats in your household?

Examples:

1. Sneaky Pie Rule #1. Thou shalt not eat from my food bowl. You may drink my water but I know if you start heading two inches left and I'll be there in a split second to push you out with my snout. Except Coconut. If you are Coconut, you may eat my food even if I'm eating at the same time.

2. Sneaky Pie Rule #2. Thou shalt not run across the top of my head. Except Coconut. If you are Coconut, you may crawl all over me as if I have no personal space.

3. Sneaky Pie Rule #3. Thou will move when I come to lay down in my bed. Thou may join me after I get comfortable. If you do not move, I'll lay on top of you. Except Coconut. If you are Coconut, I will carefully arrange myself around you.

4. Sneaky Pie Rule #4. If thou are playing with a toy, I will come and take it from you, take it back to my bed, flea it, and then lay on it. Except Coconut. If you are Coconut, I will defer to your fun.

5. Sneaky Pie Rule #5. Do not toucheth my feet. Except Coconut. If you are Coconut, you may lick my feet and hold them in your paws.

lol...obviously Coconut had Sneaky Pie bamboozled from the start. He was brought in as a kitten when Sneaky Pie was already established. And kittens don't get rules sometimes. Maybe that was the difference.

So...anyone else have a greyhound that would differentiate between individual cats, or do they just treat them all the same? :P

We had five greyhounds and four cats (at one time, down to three dogs and one cat now), and yes, it does depend a lot on the personality of the cat. All our cats were brought in as kittens and were raised with Great Danes, so they were not at all frightened by large, rambunctious dogs. In fact, I'm absolutely sure at least two of them thought they *were* little furry dogs! None of them had any problem letting the dogs know when they were getting too fresh, and they all just ran around an layed on beds and played with the toys whenever they wanted. The one cat we have left now loveslovesloves to wrestle with our youngest greyhound. The dog is very careful and the two of them have a ball together, but I'm sure it would make some people cringe.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Not at all helpful in answering your question as we only have one cat, but Olivia was reading this with me, and I asked her, "Olivia, would you have a different set of rules for a different cat?" and this was her response: "Cat? What cat? When did we get a cat?"

"Olivia," says, I, "we've always had a cat! Don't you remember how you often run over her when she is in your path?"

Olivia: "Oh, that? I just thought sometimes I trip over my own feet. Or the floor jumps up."

"No, Olivia, that's the cat."

"Oh. So, to answer your question...I'd run over any cat just the same. I probably won't even notice that one, either. Unless it tried to steal my cookie."

Qui me amat, amet et canes meas...et felem.

Olivia (RDs Merrygoround, b. 4/6/07, Gotcha 12/19/11

Chloe (PAR Candice, b. 5/22/08, Gotcha 12/18/12)

We had three cats, and the cats acted different to Queen, then Conrad, but both dogs acted the same, ready for a good greet in the usual manner. The Male cat was always a wimp, BUT when the dog was out of the area he would run over and rub his body all over the dog bed.

the cats don't get along so Conrad does not see her much, but Button and Conrad sleep in my room and really seem to have a good time with the morning and evening sniff fest

Guest xengab

Our cat 16yo never been around dogs very much (just at the vets when boarding, or going in for check ups) . Deaf but mostly healthy. Rules the house now, we refer to her as alpha..LOL

ONE slap on the nose no claws, put our grey in his place. She can get him to leave the room, lay down, get on his bed, sniff noses and give her space all with one look or slight raise of the paw.

She has walked over his chest once while he was laying down. Been kicked twice by accident as he cannot see her when she runs underneath his body..LOL

They arent best buddy nor do they sit next to each other but they do greet each other and like the others company. Our cat was diagnoses as depressed, screamed all the time, was very unhappy since our other cat died. Now she is quiet, calm and back to her old self, just from having the grey for company. :)

He does see other cats and he doesnt respond like he does with ours. SO yes, each will have their own doggie rules a grey must obey.

My dog basically ignores both cats, but one cat is very enamoured of the dog, so they interact because the cat wants to. The 13 year old ignores the dog and the dog ignores the cat.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Tuxsmom

My dog basically ignores both cats, but one cat is very enamoured of the dog, so they interact because the cat wants to. The 13 year old ignores the dog and the dog ignores the cat.

Yes! Thats exactly it. Coconut was bonkers over Sneaky Pie and basically wouldn't take "no" for an answer. lol