We Need Some Good Thoughts

smurfette

Colin has turned 11 in July (actually July 4th) and is doing great for his age but he lost nearly 3 pounds weight in the last year. His vet says that's to much.

I hoped for worms but no of course not, bacterias in his intestine are good, too. Tomorrow he is going to do some x-rays and ultrasound.

I don't get the problem. Colin shows no signs of being uncomfortable. He has a great shiney fur, clear eyes, alert and very active... running in the yard, digging holes, taking long walks.

But is still losing weight. Let's hope it's just old age.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Lots of good thoughts coming your way! Three pounds doesn't sound too bad to me, fingers crossed it will just be the ageing process. And as my vet always says to me, 'you know your dog best, and what is normal for him'. If you want to try getting the weight back on, extra protein is apparently the easiest thing for them to metabolise - my old chap loved a bit of beef mince, or a tin of sardines, or a couple of scrambled eggs.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

:goodluck Hoping it's nothing a few extra calories can't remedy.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest FordRacingRon

Activity level still the same? My girl,,12 1/2,,lost about 7 pounds in a few months because she didn't eat much.and her activity level really dropped. Fortunately she was a bit porky so now is at a good weight. Now she stays at the lower weight mostly because she doesn't do much anymore,,but does eat less. She did get down to 68 but I got her back to 70 which is where she needs to be. She sort of looks like a greyhound now instead of a sausage. But if she gets too skinny I just have to fight her until I find something she will love for a week and I let her pork out.

Sometimes I give her a mirtzapine to bump up her appetite.

We recieved good news. The vet wanted to know Col's exact weight before he did ultrasound or x-rays. And what had happened? Col has gained 1,6 pounds in the last two weeks. He has now 27,3 kg (54,6 pounds). Vet was happy, said everything looks just great. We didn't do x-rays and ultrasound but took some blood for a geriatric blood profile. Results will be there on Monday. Let's wait.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Good news indeed! :)

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

His bloodworks came back today. He is as healthy as he can be. But now I have the strangest problem ever.

Doc says Col is healthy but needs to gain some weight. That's not strange. But Col puts everything he can eat into motion. More food - more action. Running, digging in the yard, playing with his stuffies, zoomies in the house...

He is not overly active in a hyper way, just his bouncy happy go lucky self. And he won't gain any weight because of this.

What can I do?

His bloodworks came back today. He is as healthy as he can be. But now I have the strangest problem ever.

Doc says Col is healthy but needs to gain some weight. That's not strange. But Col puts everything he can eat into motion. More food - more action. Running, digging in the yard, playing with his stuffies, zoomies in the house...

He is not overly active in a hyper way, just his bouncy happy go lucky self. And he won't gain any weight because of this.

What can I do?

My recommendation remains the same - see below.

.... If you want to try getting the weight back on, extra protein is apparently the easiest thing for them to metabolise - my old chap loved a bit of beef mince, or a tin of sardines, or a couple of scrambled eggs.

I used to add a bit of raw minced human grade beef mince to Doc's regular meals, in similar circumstances and at the vet's suggestion. The cheaper grade, so with a higher fat content. It worked well for us. Lamb mince (again fatty), raw green tripe and cottage cheese would be other 'add-ins' you could try. With eggs, scrambled ones seem easier to digest - raw ones gave Doc horrible wind.

Thank you, I'll try the scrambeled eggs. He already gets lamb and sheep. A friend of mine has a big flock and we get our raw meat from her whenever they butcher one or two sheep. Lamb of course only in spring and early summer.

And he loves cottage cheese with mashed potatoes.