Torn Paw Pad

TXRedbo

Just trim off the flap that's hanging off (it doesn't hurt the dog) and then clean and probably for his comfort wrap it with some padding until it heals a bit. Sadly we have had to deal with these way too often. Skye tears hers when she runs at the dog training facility where I work. :(

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Razzy just did this recently too. Cover it with a baby sock or bootie for going outside to keep it clean, otherwise let it air and even let her lick it, it will heal eventually.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

welcome to the club. if you clean it once and then leave it alone your pup will most likely keep it clean- licking and then trim it himself. that's what my dogs do. if my dog does not have blood profusely squirting out of a cut or wound then i generally leave it alone. you will know by the trail of blood if it needs either a bandage or stitches. my dog are always ripping off their stop pads, slicing their paws or doing something when they run. you will get used to it.

For quicker healing, try soaking it twice a day (if he'll let you) with a warm water and Epsom salt mix. A big yogurt container or Tupperware will do. This helps keep it clean and easier to fend off infection.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest xengab

Mine did this just this morning running like a lunatic in the yard. It was washed and left uncovered. Keeping the dog door blocked with supervised potty breaks because he will run around and most likely get muddy paws (rained lastnight..) Another greyhound owner presented me with his first pair of boo boo socks..LOL Will use those while he is out potty to stop mud.

Walks or no? Im worried it will break open as he praces around while walking.

I don't think it's necessary to limit the walks, perhaps crazy activity until it heals up a bit better. I know Kasey's opened up several times before it stayed shut enough to heal up well. I never covered it, and did monitor him so he wouldn't lick it to death. I have also put polysporin on it too when we went to bed so it would help heal faster. Just keep it clean, I can't emphasize this enough! Feet get so dirty so easily and if they are like Ryder at all, he LOVES peeing on his legs....so yes....KEEP IT CLEAN!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015