Rear End Completely Gives Out

Guest Dancer

Checker(age 7), is a fun loving guy and loves to run....but over the past 2-3 months or so, he hasn't been too eager to run at the off leash park. Does a lot of sniffing at the park - and follows very close to me. I have sorta considered this to be part of his keen desire to avoid other dogs - or more accurately have other dogs leave him completely alone.

But about 6 weeks ago - he lets it rip and runs into some tall grass - I call him and he starts running towards me (happy and joyful), then is suddenly dragging his whole rear end(front end is still continuing to run for a little bit). He looks bewildered - no yelping or grimacing. He stops...he legs are quaking and muscles spazzing. In a minute or two, it all settles down and he starts walking. We slowly walk home. He goes about his life with no difference. Not sure if there was a dip or some unevenness in the ground(due to the tall grass) - and perhaps he stumbled.

Then it happened again last night. Same thing - dragging whole rear end, no pain reactions, and it calms down quickly. I have a vet appointment - but any thoughts on what this could be or what questions I need to ask the vet??

May have IVDD. Running or increased activity may induce a flair. Some of these guys are so stoic they don't exhibit pain.

THIS. I would bet disc(s) issue. Please seriously restrict his activity until you know what is happenning with him. It is extremely serious. You don't realize how serious it is. If it is a disc issue and you treat it properly you can usually manage it. If you ignore it the next time it could actually kill him. I know. I lost my last hound, dear sweet Bobber, when the STUPID INCOMPETENT excuse for a vet failed to recognize a textbook case of a ruptured disc. She crossed over only 4 1/2 hours after it happenned and yes she suffered the whole time until she went into respiratory arrest and died. If your vet don't take it serious find one who does for your houndies sake. I could also tell you about Cash who only lasted about 12 weeks after an incident very similar to your boys. IVDD is SERIOUS. Restrict his activity and get to the botom of it would be my advice.

I'm wondering why, if he has, as you say, a "keen desire to avoid other dogs" you keep taking him to the park?

We take him because we have two other dogs...and if we leave him behind...it is really hard on him. He feels so rejected. We work hard to find places (and times) that have fences and no (or few) other dogs.

Are you sure it's not LS? If so, Acupuncture is amazingly helpful. I've had 2 with it.

http://www.greyhound-data.com/dir/397/Lumbosacral_Stenosis.pdf

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Dancer

checker is doing okay...the vet agreed with the IVDD. No further incidents and we have him on meds for inflammation and pain. So far he seems okay.

Now I have two dogs that need TLC....Stolie is still hanging in, but starting to slow down. Doesn't rain, but it pours