Licking Issues

Guest Lygracilux

Guest Lygracilux

Fusion has a serious licking problem. Ever since we've had him.

Because of his digestive issues, we've tried about 6 different foods with him. Each having a different protein source. Though his digestive issues are FINALLY cleared up, and we're on a really good food for him that keeps his poo's good, keeps his energy up, and keeps his coat nice and shiny-he still licks. So I highly doubt it is a food allergy, and its definitely more behavioral. (except with fish based. that actually gives him hot spots and the tummy gurglyies)

If he has a tiny cut, he will lick it until it turns into a big infected cut. Literally it can be the smallest cut ever and if he finds it, and can reach it-hes done for. We just got over him having a cut on his inner thigh that he turned into a raw oozing mess. Lots of muzzling, and pants haha. Now since having the muzzle and pants off, hes given himself sores between his toes. (not the first time for toe sores..he loves licking his toes) Which I think is caused by him running and his skin being so thin the friction gives him micro cuts that get itchy cause of dirt or whatever so...he itches them with his tongue...over and over again until they are again, oozing.

There really hasnt been a long period of time without him having either the muzzle, pants or socks on. Though I dont mind clothing him, it'd be nice for him to just stop lol.

Any ideas what I should do? Id rather not drug him up with anti anxieties. I dont think hes anxious, I think he's just OCD, and I want to break that.

Brady is a lick-er too! I wipe his feet with non-alcohol baby wipes when he comes in the house. If he has a sore I don't hesitate to put a sock on him he will make a mountain out of a pin pick.

When he stops licking or paying attention to his foot I take the sock off. If I am going to work and I am worried he's going to lick I put a sock on him because I have ended up at square one or worse because he just worries things to death.

On another note Brady adopted a throw pillow. He cuddles it, sleeps on it and licks it to death (soaking wet), and so does any other dog that visits. I take his pillow on vacation and overnights. It keeps him from licking the upholstery and to some extent keeps him from licking himself so much. I think of the pillow like a baby's security blanket and he spends time every day focusing on that pillow. It redirects from licking himself so much.

I have not figured out a way to make him stop, but have looked to redirect him.

Edited by bradymom

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

Guest Lygracilux

Brady is a lick-er too! I wipe his feet with non-alcohol baby wipes when he comes in the house. If he has a sore I don't hesitate to put a sock on him he will make a mountain out of a pin pick.

When he stops licking or paying attention to his foot I take the sock off. If I am going to work and I am worried he's going to lick I put a sock on him because I have ended up at square one or worse because he just worries things to death.

On another note Brady adopted a throw pillow. He cuddles it, sleeps on it and licks it to death (soaking wet), and so does any other dog that visits. I take his pillow on vacation and overnights. It keeps him from licking the upholstery and to some extent keeps him from licking himself so much. I think of the pillow like a baby's security blanket and he spends time every day focusing on that pillow. It redirects from licking himself so much.

I have not figured out a way to make him stop, but have looked to redirect him.

Thanks for your reply! Its good to know Im not alone in this haha.

Over the weekend he got a gnarly scrape on the back of his leg, which he can reach of course. Tried using pants/sock to cover it but he got through and made a bloody (literally) mess all over the couch. So muzzle it is again-its good that he doesnt really mind the muzzle. He doesnt try to get it off or anything, and he has no problem drinking with it on.

That is so weird with Brady and the pillow! It really is like his little "security blanket" haha. I wish Fusion had something to get his licking out on, but unless im sitting next to him letting him lick ME raw-he just licks himself.

Maybe it'll be something he grows out of, idk lol.

More physical and mental stimulation to start. Longer walks or find a place to let him stretch his legs if you don't have a yard. For mental atimulation, take a training or Nosework class, stuffed frozen kongs, bully sticks or Himalayan chews, and food puzzles and food dispensing toys, all of which are also a good outlet for mouth energy. If the food you've settled on is a dry food, no meals in bowls, all meals through food dispensing toys (i really like the bob-a-lot). Or you can make mealtime into a game. Portion his food into a bunch of small bowls. Put him away in one room then hide the bowls in the rest of the house (start with just one room) then release him to "hunt" for his food. As he catches on, you can hide the food in more rooms and make?it?tougher to find the bowls (hide them behind or under things). I used to do this with Neyla before I switched to raw feeding and she thought it was awesome.

I just read a good article about OCD behavior but have no idea where I saw it. I'll see if I can dig it up. Doesn't sound like full on OCD, but approach would be?the same. If the increased physical and mental stimulation don't work, I would consider a natural calming aid. Or just do both. Composure or l-theanine capsules are both good, safe, non sedating options.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Lygracilux

More physical and mental stimulation to start. Longer walks or find a place to let him stretch his legs if you don't have a yard. For mental atimulation, take a training or Nosework class, stuffed frozen kongs, bully sticks or Himalayan chews, and food puzzles and food dispensing toys, all of which are also a good outlet for mouth energy. If the food you've settled on is a dry food, no meals in bowls, all meals through food dispensing toys (i really like the bob-a-lot). Or you can make mealtime into a game. Portion his food into a bunch of small bowls. Put him away in one room then hide the bowls in the rest of the house (start with just one room) then release him to "hunt" for his food. As he catches on, you can hide the food in more rooms and make?it?tougher to find the bowls (hide them behind or under things). I used to do this with Neyla before I switched to raw feeding and she thought it was awesome.

I just read a good article about OCD behavior but have no idea where I saw it. I'll see if I can dig it up. Doesn't sound like full on OCD, but approach would be?the same. If the increased physical and mental stimulation don't work, I would consider a natural calming aid. Or just do both. Composure or l-theanine capsules are both good, safe, non sedating options.

Thanks! I will definitely invest in some food dispensing toys. Ill start hiding his food around the kitchen for now and work our way out into the living/dining room once he catches on.

He gets plenty of physical stimulation. We try and do a 30-40 minute walk every day, and we do have a backyard where he digs and runs whenever he has the energy to burn. Hopefully once we add another hound-they can keep eachother occupied and maybe he wont want to lick as much.

If that all doesnt work I will invest in a calming aid as you suggested. Its just-hes so lazy and laid back and really not an anxious dog just OCD lol

KONGS! With PB inside then frozen (we get organic PB that contains JUST peanuts, lots have fake sugar which give my dog stomach issues)

Then every few days I add treats with a bigger treat blocking the opening of the Kong (we have two different sizes, biggest size (jumbo?) and the next size down)

Just things that get him focused on the treat and take awhile to get out.

If he likes food you can also hide treats around his area so he has to sniff them out.

Redbo also licks. He won't start until he has some sort of wound but then he'll go crazy until it turns into an OCD issue. We've had the most success with exercise (an hour or more of walking/running per day) coupled with muzzling (with duct tape or stool guard because Redbo WILL get his crazy tongue everywhere). However, the difference is that Redbo doesn't like his muzzle very much, so we were able to "train" him not to lick his wounds by muzzling him whenever he started. He eventually learning that licking his elbow = muzzle. Once we broke the OCD habit, he got much better and doesn't really lick much at all. Except for his cat-like grooming.

In addition to Kongs with yummy treats, bully sticks also help with the chewing/licking compulsion.

popos_zpsgq0lbak1.png

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Lygracilux

Thank you everyone for your help!

I will try and give him more exercise, and mental stimulation-whether it be with Kongs or food games, or mastering "lay down" lol.

For now-muzzling seems to work well while we aren't home, he sleeps all day anyways so it doesn't seem to bother him. I have a dropcam I watch him with through out the day-so if for some reason he had an issue with it I could run home (I'm only 15 minutes from work to home)

When we are home/ at bed time I keep the muzzle off- I just cover the wounds with pants/socks/whatever else makeshift clothing device I can think of.