Moody Teenager?

So Redbo is about to turn 2 in a couple of months, and he's behaving just like a moody teenager. I've never had a dog with moods quite like his. Most dogs I've known have stuck to one consistent personality (e.g. happy, b*#&chy, aloof, etc.), but Redbo will be happy for a week and then be extra pouty or hard to please for a day or two. For example, he's been his normal snuggly self, but for the last two days he hasn't been listening to us on his walk (pulls, statues) and he'll just hang his head over the couch. He gets about an hour of exercise a day, and he's eating normally... maybe he's bored? Right now, he's giving us crazy eyes while we make italian sandwiches.

I'm not worried, but I'm just wondering if this is a breed thing or a dog thing. Maybe I just haven't been around enough dogs in my life :hehe .

popos_zpsgq0lbak1.png

All normal. At two years old he's still basically a puppy in an adult size body. He's still going through puppy fear phases too, and will for another 18 months or so. He should even out into a more stable, adult personality then. Keep his mind and body busy and it will help focus him. Teaching him in short, super fun, sessions will help, especially things that make him concentrate. He might also like participating in agility, even if he's not good at it!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

time for classes to keep him busy. he sounds bored, their energy and strength but not coordination is building. lots of good games- recall, fetch,soccer, tennis, commands on a recall are all good things to break the boredom and a good release for his energy. but schooling does wonders! don't be surprised if he starts to react weirdly towards other dogs. adolescence is something else. often they forget what they know as well- the brain is not synced w/ the body.

between 9 months and 18 months of age i was pulling my hair out w/ felix(i got him at 7 weeks). a friend who also raised a greyhound from puppy hood warned me and laughed the entire time.....she told me so!

Edited by cleptogrey

Sounds normal to me, which is why I swore I'd never adopt or foster a grey under the age of 4. Of course, I DID get stuck with one 2 year old foster who was a nut-case not only because of her age but also because nobody told her she was a greyhound. I kept her. She's now the 11 year old ding-dong that's butting my hand while I'm trying to type because she wants to play. But she's an anomaly. Most of them do grow out of it.

Diana is just a hyper grey. But her mood swings went from age 2 to 5. The hyper never went away. She's a just a lab puppy with stripes.

But after having her for a short while I really put my foot down and NEVER fostered a grey under 4 again. We had a dozen fosters after that, then took a several year break. When I start fostering again, I'll raise my age-limit again. 7 sounds good to me.

But to answer your question - that's just a teenage brat!

We'll definitely look into classes for him! He plays fetch like a champ so he might take to other things like agility training pretty quickly too (even if he stinks at it). I just need to find somewhere to take him since we don't currently have a yard to build a mini course.

Teenage brat is right. He's currently pouting and sighing loudly because my husband and I are taking up the couch.

popos_zpsgq0lbak1.png

We'll definitely look into classes for him! He plays fetch like a champ so he might take to other things like agility training pretty quickly too (even if he stinks at it). I just need to find somewhere to take him since we don't currently have a yard to build a mini course.

Teenage brat is right. He's currently pouting and sighing loudly because my husband and I are taking up the couch.

Hang in there. Your dog is happy and healthy and well. Yes, extra exercise and training and classes will help. You've got a whole lotta fired-up energy to deal with. Your dog has thousands of years of breeding in his veins telling him to DO SOMETHING! HUNT! RACE! DEFEND! He's got the genes that make him want to DO something. This is NOT a lap-dog. Give him a job. A purpose.

This is not a retired racer looking for a couch. This is a young greyhound with his breeding coursing though his veins. Give him work. Give him a purpose. He'll love you for it. And then, he'll mellow out in time.