Is She Hurt Or Scared

Guest bmaxfoy

Our first grey has been here for 4 weeks. All is going well. I gave her a hug around the middle when she came in from outside and she yelpped as if I really hurt her. I was barely touching her. Really scared me. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong. Could she be afraid of something in the past and reacting to that?

It absolutely has nothing whatsoever to do with her previous life. You just heard a yelp or what we call the greyhound scream of death or GSOD. :) Greyhounds are drama queens! You might have bumped her or startled her or at any rate she didn't like it. If she seems fine now it was 99.9% surely nothing. You will no doubt here many such yelps throughout her life. But now you know hugging her may be a bad idea. That is very threatening to many dogs!

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

You never know, maybe it did, maybe it didn't. She's still brand new to your family. Take it slow and give her some time to settle before hugging, etc., ok?

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Thanks for giving it a name. It was the scream of death. She has become so affectionate in the past weeks that it was just second nature to give her a hug. I've had lots of dogs, but never had this happen. Lesson learned. Many more lessons ahead I'm sure.

Thanks for giving it a name. It was the scream of death. She has become so affectionate in the past weeks that it was just second nature to give her a hug. I've had lots of dogs, but never had this happen. Lesson learned. Many more lessons ahead I'm sure.

She might not be used to that kind of closeness yet.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Scouts_mom

In my experience, the louder the GSOD, the less likely it is that the hound is actually injured.

Henry's scream gave me heart failure when the couch tried to eat him (his foot slipped between the cushions).

But I didn't hear a sound when he was injured playing and was dripping blood.