I Found A Lump On Mason's Chest

Mason was roaching and I was petting him and I found a lump on his chest. It's big (the size of a quarter) and I can move it. It's soft. Any ideas? Of course, I'll be calling the vet ASAP. Also, do you think the appointment can wait until Monday or should I go in earlier? I ask because I'm already taking Monday off school for something so that would work out. But, if we think it's urgent of course I'll go earlier.

TIA-

GG and Mason

If it is soft, moveable, and seems to just be in the skin, it could be a lipoma (fatty tumor). Luna has one near her rib cage. I had it aspirated just to be sure, and was grateful to hear it was both benign and basically harmless.

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Lipoma - if you can basically put your fingers around it and isolate it from the chest wall, seems just under the skin, it's squishy, not painful. It can wait, if so. Your vet may want to aspirate and you can or not depending on your comfort level. Just keep an eye on it.

But if it's attached at all, has a hard nodule, or seems painful, go in right away.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Lipoma - if you can basically put your fingers around it and isolate it from the chest wall, seems just under the skin, it's squishy, not painful. It can wait, if so. Your vet may want to aspirate and you can or not depending on your comfort level. Just keep an eye on it.

But if it's attached at all, has a hard nodule, or seems painful, go in right away.

Can I hijack for a second? Zuri has had one of these on his stomach for a while. Its gotten bigger though not drastically so. When I found it I thought fatty tumor, as did my vet so we've done nothing, but lately I've been thinking I've been naive and we should aspirate to be safe. It's *possible* it could be something nefarious, right? Are there ever complications from a simple aspiration?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Haven't ever seen complications from aspirating a surface thing. Not to say there never are any, but generally fast, simple, safe.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

That's a typical area to find a lipoma--the clinical signs also fit the bill. Aspiration procedures are generally safe--the only time I have seen complications is really only when a vascular mass is aspirated--excessive bleeding may be challenging to control. If a vet has concerns about sticking a particular mass often they will ultrasound the mass first.

Can I hijack for a second? Zuri has had one of these on his stomach for a while. Its gotten bigger though not drastically so. When I found it I thought fatty tumor, as did my vet so we've done nothing, but lately I've been thinking I've been naive and we should aspirate to be safe. It's *possible* it could be something nefarious, right? Are there ever complications from a simple aspiration?

I'd do it, just so I could stop worrying, but that's me. It's a safe procedure, it's over very quickly, and you'll feel better knowing, or, since you're vet's obviously comfortable not doing it, just wait until your next visit. Usually you only remove Lipomas if they're bothering the dog somehow (like sitting right under a collar or something). Do expect, ime, that once they get one, they often get more, but again, not a health issue.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Kasey's aspiration bled....other than that, that's the only complication I know of (A core biopsy on the other hand, hang on to your hats!) For an aspiration, you are pulling the fluid into a needle, so likely whatever the fluid is in the lump, can be expressed and trickle out. A fine needle shouldn't do too much damage. I'd rather know what I'm dealing with than not though, so I'd go to get one just for peace of mind.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Thanks all. I had been planning to ask her to do it, will definitely follow through on that. Now to find out if she will argue against doing it during his acupuncture session. It is just another needle after all. :P

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."