Lazy Dog

rsieg

So here is my problem. Logan is lazy. On walks with the sun out, he will go maybe half-mile, then find a shady spot and lay down. For example, this morning he found this patch of shade:

2015-09-21%2009.15.01_zpso3rdfdpq.jpg

I'm not the only one who is annoyed by this -- so is Max:

2015-09-21%2009.15.39_zpsu6ft07rn.jpg

Of course, Max has the attitude "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em":

2015-09-21%2009.17.41_zpsupxaox2i.jpg

...and, now I'm going to be at least 15 min late to work, and still waiting...

2015-09-21%2009.19.50_zpsyjzurjpp.jpg

It's a problem.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

Brady is notorious for doing the same thing! I have coined the activity or lack of activity other than breathing "the yard flop". It is done in the warmer weather here and can extend our walks for a number of minutes. I have changed our walk routes because some of my neighbors don't like. My neighborhood does not have sidewalks.

Brady looks for shaded trees and has never used fire hydrant shade. Maybe it is a brindle boy thing.... don't know?!

Hugs! I know how frustrating it is.

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

so did they get all the way to the curb of YOUR property?

Not my property, he goes about half-mile usually before finding a shady spot. I keep waiting for some homeowner to come out and complain my dogs are messing up their grass, but so far everyone has been fine about it. Mind you, he went last night after dark for 2 miles without laying down at all, though he did slow down at the end. It seems to be the sun that makes him tire out.

Brady is notorious for doing the same thing! I have coined the activity or lack of activity other than breathing "the yard flop". It is done in the warmer weather here and can extend our walks for a number of minutes. I have changed our walk routes because some of my neighbors don't like. My neighborhood does not have sidewalks.

Brady looks for shaded trees and has never used fire hydrant shade. Maybe it is a brindle boy thing.... don't know?!

Hugs! I know how frustrating it is.

Thanks. He usually does find tree shade, but we are in a relatively new development and this stretch of road has no trees -- the fire hydrant was all he had, and he did line it up perfectly.

BTW, he tried to do it again this morning but I was able to stop him before he got down. I can stop him if I catch him before he lays down, but after he lays down its hard to get him up.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

Guest MurphysMom

I'm sorry, but sooooo funny!! :hehe I love your life choices, Logan!! You and Murphy would get along splendidly, the sun comes out and she draaaaaaaags behind me, though she has yet to flop down... probably because I always feed her shortly after our walks, so I guess that's a bit of motivation to keep going :rolleyes:

Brady turned 10 in April and as he has gotten older he is less tolerant of the heat and humidity. Now when he does it I do my best to just wait him out.

He started laying down on long walks when he was 7 or 8. It did not happen every walk but when it did it was a nightmare trying to get home. I honestly think he got bored and decided to hang out and watch the leaves blow and grass grow. It was maddening. I shorten his walks during the warmer months. I carried a tennis ball to distract him -- his favorite. Giving him a job of carrying the tennis ball saved us for a long while. Sometimes he roll on to his back to scratch his back in the grass. So his really long walks were reserved for when I had more time in my schedule, like weekends or mornings where I could be late to work.

Have you checked Logan's paws for corns or abrasions that could hinder his walking?

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

Who wouldn't love a greyhound statue on their lawn?!

Older, not dog friendly types... people who have a dog in the house that is guarding his territory.

I think a lot of this has to do with people who do not pickup after their dogs. We just don't walk on blocks where it can be a problem. A couple times people have come running out of their house to make sure he was OKAY and that made me feel bad because of course he would pop up to be petted.

Now they see him and ask if Brady is on a break.

So...... I'm not the only one to be late to work today because of her hound? I spent 15 minutes trying to get Mercury to poop, while I had to get to campus to give an exam!!

Yeah.... I got no useful advice, just commiseration.

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

Have you checked Logan's paws for corns or abrasions that could hinder his walking?

I have thought about this. I have not seen anything on his feet though I'm not sure I would recognize a corn if I saw one. He does sometimes lick his feet when he first lays down at home at the end of a walk, but he also sometimes does zoomies after dragging during the walk. One thing I do note is that Logan is never limping when he stops or slows down, and he seems to do it when he is not being engaged by the walk. For example, when we go down in the park with lots of things to smell and see he almost never slows or lays down. He also seems to slow down near the end of the walk, I think when he knows we are finishing up and doesn't want to stop. So I think it is mental/stubborn rather than physical -- but hard to say for sure. Could he have arthritis (he is only 5 yo) and not show symptoms like limping, and maybe keep going on exciting walks (e.g. park) just because he is having enough fun he ignores the arthritis?

One other annoying thing he does: if he is getting tired you would think the simple solution is shorten the walk. But no ... if I try to turn around early he gets stubborn and statues. Then if we keep going he gets tired and slows or lays down. I know dogs don't foresee things like we do, but still...

Rob

I understand your frustration. With Brady it often took twice as long to go home after changing direction. I tried treats, food did not motivate him on walks. I have a good friend who lived 15 blocks west of me and she was having the same problem with her grey walking back home. And I remember it happened to both of us about the same time.

Can you change the route that you walk to help his interest? When he is in a different environment Logan is like the energizing bunny .... There are no easy solutions, for me and Brady the tennis ball was a life saver to keep him moving, when he dropped it I would carry it.

Edited by bradymom