Rock'em Sock'em Rough Play

I would really appreciate some advice from those of you with extensive greyhound experience. Adopted a 5 y/o female in January. She is a wonderful hound and has done extremely well as an only dog but was clearly a bit bored and lonely. Two weeks ago, I adopted a 5 y/o male (looked at a number of dogs; thought this boy might be a good "fit" for her). Impeccable house manners, transitioned easily, friendly, cheerful, but highly excitable and exuberant. His stimulation threshold is VERY low. He also jumps and gets very "mouthy" and "bitey" when excited (which I am trying to ignore and discourage).

My girl weighs approx. 69-70 lbs; boy was listed at 75 lbs but is probably closer to 80+. Both are solid and muscular. She raced 99 times; he raced 140.

My concern is the level of rock'em, sock'em, rough play in the yard. (And, yes, I know that greyhounds can play nasty.) Dogs are muzzled. Both are VERY competitive. Lots of kangaroo boxing, jumping on each other, body slamming, spinning and twirling, a few mid-air collisions, muzzle-butting, play bowing, growling, crazy running and chasing. I usually have to "break it up" unless they tire first.

Every time they go out together it turns into "game on," so I often let them out separately (before/after meals; to potty; alone time; time with me).

This morning the male body-checked my girl at 6:30 am (I mean, really?!!). Then while brushing my teeth just about ready to leave for work I heard them thundering through the house. One minute they were snoozing, the next minute it was "game on."

My question is: in light of the fact that it has only been two+ weeks will this behavior subside to some degree? My concern is that perhaps they are too much alike. The male is usually the instigator and my girl will NOT back down. Clash of the Titans.

I'm not sure if I have the time and energy to be the fun police and micro-manage this relationship and play. I am also extremely concerned about one or both getting hurt (I've already spent more than enough $$$ at the ER).

None of my other hounds (six to date; these are numbers seven and eight) engaged in WWE wrestling so I'm not sure I know how to manage this behavior - and do I want to?? It's rather exhausting and stressful. (I did take the male for a nail trim and dremeling as his nails were quite long. Short nails a must.)

Any thoughts, advice sure would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

I don't have any advice, though I'd really love to hear what others have to say. My girl, Wendy, is almost 10 years old and has been an only dog for 8 years so I have never really seen her play with other dogs. For the past year or so she has had play dates with my son's lab-mix, Luna. Their play sounds exactly like you describe above. Wendy seems very rough compared to mild mannered Luna who just takes it all in stride and tries to keep up with Wendy when she races around the "track" she has created in what was once our yard. :)

Is this typical Greyhound play?

"Lots of kangaroo boxing, jumping on each other, body slamming, spinning and twirling, a few mid-air collisions, muzzle-butting, play bowing, growling, crazy running and chasing"

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Sounds like every day at my house! :rolleyes:

I have a video somewhere I'll try and find. It seriously sounds like WWIII. Snarling, growling, running, barking, more snarling, the thud of bodies colliding, muzzle-jousting - all of that and more. All three are muzzled, but sometimes an injury will happen. It's mostly contusions and bruises and strains from the take downs, and pokes from sticks and yard things. Whiskey got a bad contusion from getting whacked on the side with the end of a muzzle. It does make your heart go into your throat. They are just having so much fun at it that I have to try and remember that they are dogs and play differently than people!

Hmmm... Can't find the video right off. Might have to take a new one.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My two play very rough like that too. Very mouthy and wild. I do stop them when I think it gets over the top. Otherwise, you never see one without the other. They are never laying more than a foot apart or are on top of each other, literally.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest GreyOrchard

I have a pair here right now who do just that, a 3 yr old greyhound lady and a 3 yr old half greyhound. In Ireland there is an expression for "idiots", spoken as "eejits". Well, these two are two big eejits. Yep, standing up on their back legs and wrestling, chasing each other like mad, playing non-stop bitey-face, one on his or her back on the ground begging the other to "bite me". Myself and two others who are more quiet just stand back. No need for muzzles, as they "know" it's only play. I never used muzzles here anyway, but that's another story.

Here's the good news: fortunately it sounds like your two also know "how to play" - even though they are muzzled, there is still plenty of opportunity for it to get out of hand.....and it hasn't. THAT is a good sign. You might, some day towards the end of their playing, take the muzzles off for the last few minutes so they can get used to this. Oh sure, they might get mouthy with an ear or the loose skin around the neck, but one will let the other know if the nip is a bit too hard. Last year I had an older bitch here with lots of energy who did not know how to play. I paired her for play with a very big blue male in a one acre field. She thought it was great fun to run alongside him and grab his neck. He, however, was the biggest wuss on the planet and the moment he felt her mouth on his neck he screamed bloody murder and stopped dead in his tracks and refused to play. Two more instances like that and she learned to be less rough.

Also, your dogs are new to each other so all this running and shoving and playing is new. In a few weeks it should calm down. Right now they just sound terribly happy and well matched.