Help! Diarrhea

Guest TeriD

When with the explosive loose poops end? Not a big fan. I'm assuming when she gets acclimated to the food change? We asked the rescue what she was being fed specifically but they said what ever they had on hand. So ...we are now feeding her Iams green bag with yogurt.

Also are there any enzyme cleaners that work especially well?? My house smells like dog poop.

Have to say it's only the first day and I'm frustrated. Not taking it out on the dog of course but I'm looking forward to the light at the end of the tunnel.

Sorry you are going through this, it certainly ranks right up there. Try adding a tablespoon or two of pure pumpkin puree to her food at each meal. Pumpkin treats either problem! You could also try adding bone meal to her food. That works quite well at bulking up stool as well.

Nature's Miracle works quite well. Good luck!

Enjoy your new pup and welcome to GT.

Thank you....I will try pumpkin. So far tonight she's pooped twice in her crate and twice outside (once each time going in her crate) the first time was around midnight, second around 2am. I feel like I have a newborn again. Lol

So the poor girl doesn't feel well....she's gone 9x total since she's been home. That doesn't seem right to me.

I'm wondering if it's just nerves or something I need to call the vet about in the morning. Otherwise she's drinking and eating ok.

I'm also going to cut out the yogurt....may be working against me from what I've read.

Edited by TeriD

Some of this may be nerves but, having said that ... take her to the vet. My dogs get cooked oatmeal (5 minute type) every day to help firm up their poops but for explosive diarrhea, you are probably going to need meds to calm her system down.

Sorry you are going through this .. hang in there.

When we brought home our last girl, she had really bad diarrhea off and on for several weeks. The vet gave us some kind of charcoal tablets that helped.

Slowly, she got over it. We feed her Iams mini chunks with added cooked chicken or hamburger, but not too much. We still worry about causing her

to have runny BM's and we have had her for 4 years. It seems to me that greyhounds have really sensitive digestive systems. Most of the time everything

runs through OK, but sometimes someone will give her something that causes a couple days of diarrhea. Hope your baby feels better soon.

For explosive diarrhea, you may need to fast her for a day to let her gut settle down. Then, start with small meals of chicken/hamburger and rice, and gradually introduce the kibble back in. I'd nix the yogurt, as some greys are really intolerant of dairy. As the others have said, get thee to a vet for some meds to help alleviate the intestinal inflammation. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Having had a cat will poop issues, (medical reasons) Nature's Miracle is awesome! They have a few different formula's now so choose what surfaces you have and get the different kinds.

One tip I got give was, paper plates, if you see your hound squatting to poop and you can slip a paper plate or newspaper or puppy pad under them, DO IT!

Also do it outside as there is no way to pick up that stuff! And after awhile it can make your yard stink.

Good idea with the paper plates!!

Good news: Rosey is on a bland diet (rice and boiled meat), dewormer, and some other anti-diarrhea meds. Slept thru the night! I woke up at 4pm but she didn't want to go so back to bed I went!