Non-Greyhound: Adopting Dog With Lyme

September

I have been searching for a dog to adopt after my Buddy passed on in May. I was going to just keep it at 2 but I miss having a 3rd. I put in an app at a local sanctuary after some unsuccessful matches at the local humane society and was matched up with a 5 year old basset mix. Cookie and Mac did a meet n greet and everything went well.

Her history is she was an outside dog that was on an underground day fence collar and started nipping. Not a good situation and I think those systems are the worst anyways. The man brought her in and didn't even realize she had a limp or said he didn't know, anyways. He dropped her off, completely emotionless. They are going to do X-rays to make sure it might just be the Lyme and they have her on a cycle of doxy.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with Lyme or any advice? I'm still waiting for my app approval but I wanted to get some info. I love her so far and hope that it all works out.

Edited by September

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

Oh, I hope it works out. :) Hound dogs are so fun/funny. As for the Lyme, I think a lot of it depends on how long they went untreated. If it was in the later stages, she may need to be on doxy for a long time, perhaps months. The meds can get pretty expensive.

Also, I'm with Susan. There's definitely some beagle in the face. Those stumpy little legs look very basset-y, though. Does she have the out-turned walrus feet?

She's definitely Basset with some beagle mixed in, I think. She is a nose to the ground hound! I can't wait to get her on some good food and get her weight managed. I don't think she's had good care for awhile.

Not sure how long she's had Lyme but I know she was originally adopted from an animal shelter so maybe if I could get the timeline from them, I'd have an idea. I was told yesterday if she starts limping, that usually means there is a Lyme flare up and she'll need a cycle of doxy. She's only 5 so I hope she has a few good years at least.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

• 2 weeks later...

I picked her up last Saturday and booked her vet appointment for Tuesday. The rescue forgot to give me her Lyme meds (doxy) but she only had a couple days left. The vet said it wouldn't hurt to start a new round since she never finished it. She started her on omoxicillon and rimadyl for her hip, which has helped already. She said she would need bloodwork to stay on the rimadyl for a long period of time. She mentioned rimadyl is pricey but didnt go Into cost and gave me a donated bottle. How much does it run? And how effective is omoxicillon versus the doxy in fighting the Lyme. In 30 days she will start her Lyme vaccine series, as well.

Is it recommended to keep a dog on rimadyl for a long time? Will it mess up her system? The rescue has her as foster only status until they do a hip X-ray on the 21st so I don't know 100% if it's her hip or the Lyme. One person said it was a bad hip joint, another seemed to think it was the Lyme doing it but they won't commit to anything til the X-ray.

Thanks for the feedback!

What a cutie! I am sure if you can get some weight off her that her mobility will improve and maybe rimadyl won't be needed. My vet has been doing the generic version of it called carprofen I think. Its price wasn't bad....

No knowledge on the Lyme...just Congrats!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Try not to worry too much about the lyme disease. a lot of dogs have it and it causes them no problems. I have a greyt article on my home computer I think that I will try and send you.

What a cutie! I am sure if you can get some weight off her that her mobility will improve and maybe rimadyl won't be needed. My vet has been doing the generic version of it called carprofen I think. Its price wasn't bad....

No knowledge on the Lyme...just Congrats!

Thanks Racindog. It had an interesting angle on Lyme disease. I think I've heard something similar in the past.

Greysamdmollie, she looks better already. She is getting those gobs of fat off of her and you can start to see a line in her stomach and hip area where she is leaning up. I thought the rimadyl would be a sure fire way to help her with her hip but I came home last night and she was limping pretty bad. Of course. We are having terribly damp and cold fall weather.here so I can empathize with her. She was on carprofen at the rescue so that may be an option. I just need a price range for everything which hasn't been offered. If it takes away her pain, then it's worth it.

Edited by September

Carprofen the generic of Rimadyl. Our vet offers carprofen at a very affordable rate. Of course, it would be best if it was not given on a regular basis for extended periods of time. There are supplements, diets & remedies with less side effects. For some dogs those can work well. When it comes down to it though, if something like carprofen is what it takes for a dog to be comfortable & happy, it's worth the risks. A shorter but much higher quality life seems better to me than living longer but pain the whole time.

Lyme can also have neurological involvement & cause Lyme nephritis. Blood work would help turn up possible nephritis. Neuro symptoms will often be observable. In those cases, I might decide to pass on adopting this dog. Otherwise, I'd not let Lyme disease stop me from getting a cute houndie like that!

I've had dogs with Lyme. It was all resolved with antibiotics. Best of luck. Hope it all works out well.

I have had good luck with supplements helping too....I have used Springtime for joint stuff and their fresh factors just as the dogs age.

I would definately ask about the carprofen...my dogs have not had any problems using it instead of rimadyl.

Good Luck!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the input (again). The vet gave me a small supply of rimadyl and we had been trying that to help with the limping. She still had good days and bad days, and she ran out the end of this week. The vet offered me another bottle and I wanted to see how she did without the rimadyl. She's had so much in her system in the past couple months since she came to the rescue. I came home tonight from work and she was limping so I guess I will pick up the bottle from the vets Monday. There are still a lot of unanswered questions right now like the hip X-ray on the 21st.

Her initial X-ray showed a bad hip joint, according to a volunteer. I know one thing killing her here is all the stairs. I have a 2 story townhouse. She likes to sleep on my bed with me and she will jump there or jump on the couch so I know these things are bad but it's hard to stop her and she is such a stubborn dog at times.

I hope she doesn't have the Lyme nephritis but at least I have an idea of what do next (bloodwork, urinalysis).

The vet did fill me in on the total cost of the rimadyl and it runs $13/pill with them but I looked on 1800 petmeds and it is much cheaper there. A 30 count bottle runs $40 at the prescribed amount she is getting now. I'm hoping the vet would honor this if I asked.

... it runs $13/pill with them ...

What?! That's a typo, correct? You meant something more like $1.30/pill, I hope. Because that's closer to what it should be for Rimadyl. It's about 1/2 that for the generic carprofen from my vet. For a 50 lb dog it should probably be no more than $40/mo, but $35/mo sounds closer.

I honestly swear that's what the vet said. Maybe I need to re check, but she said "it's quite expensive, it runs $13 a pill." Maybe I need to recheck. I did get her more Rimadyl today and I'm going to put in an order with 1800 pet meds, also. Anyone have any competitive supplier references?

I think there was just a mistake somewhere. Even an expensive vet wouldn't charge $13/pill for Rimadyl and I think most vets use the generic these days. Truly, I would check with them again and ask specifically how much it would be per month for the generic carprofen. If you get a script ask for that it be written for carprofen so you can buy a generic. There is a branded generic, Truprofen, sold locally many places including at Walmart, Target, Costco, Sam's Club and a number of supermarket pharmacies. Here's their list: http://www.truprofen.com/where-to-buy/

You could also try other online vet supply places:

Drs Foster & Smith: http://pet-supplies.drsfostersmith.com/search?af=type%3Aproduct&view=grid&w=carprofen

Valley Vet: https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_search_results.html?gas=carprofen

Lambert Vet Supply: http://www.lambertvetsupply.com/search.asp?keyword=carprofen&search=

I put in an order with Lambert Vet Supply. They were priced the best out of both.

I had her off the Rimadyl for a couple days and she was limping and not feeling so well. Her whole mood shifted.

When she gets her hip xray on the 21st, I guess we will see.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update to the thread (and thanks to everyone has given suggestions). She had her hip xray. The rescue vet said it looked like she had an injury and it didn't heal straight and there was arthritis but my vet said it looked like she had hip dysplasia with severe arthritis. We have had her on Rimadyl and it looks like it will have to be a long term thing so she will need blood monitoring. They gave me Tramadol, also, for the really bad days. They recommended gcl and fish oil supplements (all ordered from Lamberts). I'm also going to do laser therapy.

I did talk with the rescue about adopting her and they had said it was up to me, and given the situation with her health, I will probably just stay a foster for awhile. She was not really meshing 100% with my other female but it seems to be getting better now.