Training A Dog To Pee In The Shower

Guest HeatherLee

This is what I do for Reba(except I use the disposable ones) and it works GREAT. If she has to go she will go on the potty pad-easy peezy-no mess-easy to clean-just throw it in the trash. Floor don't get wet as it has a plastic backing. I do tape it down so it stays put as she may inadvertently move it by walking on it if i don't. I never trained her to do it. I just started putting it down where she would go otherwise and she started using it herself right from the beginning!

Pee pads don't work for me, she always misses. Even if she gets on it the whole pad the whole house smells like pee. And pads cost too much and waste too much plastic so I'd rather the tub.

If you go with a tub (or porch potty) make sure it's big enough for all four feet to go on when standing, and then have the critical bit of the anatomy also over it when she squats, because Brandi stands on hers, then squats, which moves the target area back 30 cm from where her back legs originally were.

Or I might just have a special dog?

HeatherLee, human pee pads (like for old people) don't cost a lot, don't use ANY plastic, and are washable and reuseable.

If your dog is missing the pad, use more pads and cover a larger area.

Whoever said that senility and incontinence is basically inevitable in dogs who get old--well, let me just say that has not been the experience in my family's 100+ years of dog ownership.

This dog is NOT incontinent anyway. She (he?) is aware she needs to go. Not being able to hold it all night is not the same thing as incontinent, which is the inability to control peeing at all.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest HeatherLee

HeatherLee, human pee pads (like for old people) don't cost a lot, don't use ANY plastic, and are washable and reuseable.

Whoever said that senility and incontinence is basically inevitable in dogs who get old--well, let me just say that has not been the experience in my family's 100+ years of dog ownership.

This dog is NOT incontinent anyway. She (he?) is aware she needs to go. Not being able to hold it all night is not the same thing as incontinent, which is the inability to control peeing at all.

Thanks for your help. But I'm not going to use pee pads. Period. I'm not covering. My entire living room with pee pads. I know she's not incontinent.. I didn't say she was? Maybe you're referring to another post?

Thanks for your help. But I'm not going to use pee pads. Period. I'm not covering. My entire living room with pee pads. I know she's not incontinent.. I didn't say she was? Maybe you're referring to another post?