Stretch (6 Mo. Old) Battled A Rattlesnake

Guest superfunk

poor guy, glad he's feeling better and thank you for sharing

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Thanks for posting. What a relief that young Stretch survived, thanks to your swift emergency vet care! Many dogs don't survive. Glad it appears he wasn't paralyzed after being bitten.
Hopefully your family will remain on alert for the baby rattlesnake's remaining live litter mates, and their mature mother. A rattlesnake mother carries up to 25 eggs, but typically gives birth to up to about 10 live babies.

Newborn Rattlesnakes (snippet quote):

"The newborn rattlesnake is about ten inches long and has a small horny button on the tip of its tail.

Rattler babies have venom, short fangs and are dangerous from birth. In fact, they are more pugnacious than the adults.

Although unable to make a rattling sound, the youngsters throw themselves into a defensive pose and strike repeatedly when disturbed.

Young rattlers are completely independent of the mother.

They remain in the area of their birth for the first seven to ten days, until they shed their first baby skin and add their first rattle. The litter will begin to disperse as they venture out in search of food." End quote.

Source: http://www.desertusa.com/reptiles/rattlesnakes.html

If others are interested, there is a rattlesnake vaccine available.

Veterinary Partner's link about Dogs vs. Rattlesnakes:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1717

An important reminder is time is of the essence. Immediate veterinary emergency care is needed to treat dogs for rattlesnake bites. (Costs may be different in different regions. Antivenin from horses may be cheaper than from sheep.)

Positive thoughts for Stretch's full recovery.

I have a westie that was bitten by a mature rattlesnake, but just one of the fangs got her. The bit was on the top of her nose area. She swelled up pretty lopsided, but when I called the e-vet (an hour and half away), they said to give her benedryl and watch to see if the swelling increased to inhibit her breathing. We live in the mountains and rattlesnake bites happen quite a bit around here.

And yes, the rattlesnake avoidance classes are brutally horrible. I had talked to a trainer I trusted and she was very honest about how those work.

I honestly don't think the rattlesnake bite would deter my westie from going after another one. She is a terrier through and through.

And yes, the rattlesnake avoidance classes are brutally horrible. I had talked to a trainer I trusted and she was very honest about how those work.

I honestly don't think the rattlesnake bite would deter my westie from going after another one. She is a terrier through and through.

I had no idea! Thanks for the info!

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com