Frequency Of Flea Treatment

I treated Tracker for fleas mid July with Advantix. Didn't work too well. Then again August 21st with Frontline. This worked mildly better, but some fleas are still active. I so want to relieve Tracker's itches, so I got Bravecto. But should I wait until a full month is up (from Aug 21 to Sept 21) so there's no overkill in terms of amount of toxins, or, since the ingredients in Frontline and Bravest are different, should it not matter?

Should be OK but you could check with JJNg or one of the other vets/techs to be on the safe side.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

have you checked your home, car, yard,....... it sounds like your dog is getting reinfested before the treatments can really work. it's a PITA, but all bedding must be washed, cars, rugs etc. vacuumed very well and bag thrown out. if you have a yard- spray it! dd goes thru this every fall in texas with her dogs. when it gets really bad i've bombed the house, it not so terrible.

we just went thru a flea infestation and i was ready to change from frontline plus which i have used successfully for years. but i stuck with it, flea bath and as soon as they were dry a standard dose(i asked customer service, you do not have to wait 48 hrs).i went over the dogs daily with a flea comb. within 4 days the amount of feces(the little black dots) were down to nothing and the minimal amount of fleas were dying they were really easy to catch and crush. during this time we were traveling from texas back to ny so every night we shook out all of the bedding in the car really well. when we returned home i vacuumed it to death. i will be applying it a week early just in case and tick season is starting in ny.

i have given the dogs early dosages- as early as 2.5 weeks after a dose since houston is notorious for fleas and my friend with who i was visiting was really worried about fleas since her IG is 16 and my dogs were staying with the afghans who have immune problems and non can use flea products. no problems with the early dosage.

cleptogrey, I cleaned all of the bedding. Not the car, though (yet). Don't have a yard, so that's good. We'll see.

I don't doubt it, but I just don't get how re-infestations can happen when the dog gets treated regularly. How can they survive on pads etc w/o food? Nasty things.

I sent an email asking my vet yesterday about the timing (whether 2 weeks is too soon), so if she ok's it, I'll go ahead.

Honestly with seeing active fleas I would use an oral like Comfortis.

:flea sounds good, that was one of the concepts in the back of my mind while i endured the 1900 mile trip home. i know my local group treats the incoming dogs as soon as they get off the hauler with it. also change your walks, does he go on the couch, furniture etc? he may be picking them up somewhere along the way. at least it's fleas, not ticks. they go into the floorboard!!!

they survive on pads with out food? your pup is the main course! wait until you have experienced nasty flea bites, they hurt big time!! i also touch things up w/ frontline spray, we went for a walk in a lovely park and when we returned to the car dh and i realized that our jeans were covered with teeny tiny ticks- sprayed the car that night and did some spot treatments on the dogs.

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest GreyOrchard

To start afresh, it might be a good idea to give you dog a good bath, perhaps in an herbal or medicated shampoo (I'd say flea shampoo but sounds like your dog is already plenty loaded up with anti-flea pharms) and to rinse it off, use warm water that is half water and half apple cider vinegar. The vinegar smell will go away in less than 5 minutes, but the after-effect is that it will act as a deterrent for fleas and will help reduce any resicual itching. More important, it affects the pH balance in your dog's skin in a positive way, which is the reason why it acts as a flea deterrent. I used this method for years with excellent results. The only time I used pharms was when I would take in a greyhound that was crawling with fleas and extemely poorly and needed relief instantly.