Ticks

Guest xengab

We've just started taking our hound on hikes, we are aware that ticks could be present. He has been given trifexis but that doesnt cover ticks. Our rescue group doesnt like/recommend tick collars.

Would brushing him down with a doggie brush all over after a walk be enough to protect him from a once a week hike? These are on wide trails with not a load of brush, but we've been told by others that ticks are there.

We live in California, if that helps.

The ticks in Virginia have been awful!. Brady is on Trifexis too and I have a Seresto Flea and Tick collar.

He has not had a problem with the collar.

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

I like Nexgard. In the past I've used Advantix as well, which I found effective I just didn't love the fact that it was a topical product.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Using a brush like the Furminator will help find them. We use a product called The Tick Key to actually remove them when we find one. Just make sure it's a tick and not a skin tag before using it. They can sometimes look similar.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Tick keys are fabulous for both dogs and humans. Takes out all of the ick factor.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Preventic collars are safe for Greyhounds. Your "rescue" group should really know that.

You don't have to be hiking to pick up a tick. Your dog can get them any time he is outside. If ticks aren't a big problem in your area, routine brushing should work just fine.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Where we hike so 30mins away from where we live so different areas/conditions. I brush him everyday, he loves it and I want him to be used to my hands on him if anything should happen.

The rescue group has different views on various things, but the tick collar is one thing they don't advocate as some had reactions to it (itchy skin I think).

I just plan in the future to take my hound out to other places, ticks are nasty things and not something I'd want to get myself or have on my big boy.