Coat For Clumsy Grey?

Hi everyone!

First time posting (will do a better introduction later!)

I adopted (four months ago) a 2 yo female, who is of course the love of my life. She is 53lbs and never raced as she was considered too small. However, she still likes to run, and she is really, really clumsy. When we got her, she was already the proud wearer of quite a few scars, most of them fairly small, but she does have a couple of really big ones on her thighs. We don't know the reason for them but I do think it is because she really doesn't watch what she is doing, as she proved at the dogpark yesterday.

She doesn't go to the park often as I tend to only go when there are few dogs around, however yesterday I took her and there were three other dogs there. She is a total show off and so she immediately started prompting them to chase her, which was fine, she always does that. Then she got distracted and managed to fall head over heels over a small "jump" that is set up in the middle of the park - like a horse jump but solid metal. She tipped over facefirst and was limping for a few minutes. This is the first time I have had a pet in an accident like that and if I was a cat I would be down to about 4 lives now. She caught the pole across her chest and has bruised her breastbone and has a couple of new cuts to add to her collection. None of them were deep, just the usual greyhound parchment skin jazz. She is now recovering nicely although I swear she is playing up on the attention she is getting. I think I was more distressed about it than she was.

Anyway, my post is to ask whether anyone can recommend any form of jacket that could help her if (when!) she does this again. She has enough scars and bumps to last many lifetimes. Is it possible to pad a greyhound?! Any jacket recs would be great, cost no issue. I have been looking at these:

http://www.amazon.com/Greyhound-Hunter-Wax-Coat-Green/dp/B0030ADVAI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_199_14?ie=UTF8&refRID=0NYZEV489YV9MCF82CRW

http://www.amazon.com/Scooters-Friends-Greyhound-Coat-Large/dp/B008MIOJLI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_199_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1JB3W1K8RNGJ8TTM5F00&dpSrc=sims&dpST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_

http://www.amazon.com/Greyhound-Extreme-Coat-Brown-51cm/dp/B008MZOSL2/ref=pd_sim_sbs_199_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=1JB3W1K8RNGJ8TTM5F00&dpSrc=sims&dpST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_

and would love to know if anyone has them/can recommend them. I am mostly thinking about her upper forelegs/chest/neck and hindquarters as these seem most fragile. Has anyone come up with a greyhound proof jacket that isn't going to overheat them? I should also add that I am in Texas, so it's gonna be hot. The jacket would pretty much just be for her running around/winter and would be taken off for the walk home etc. Can I just wrap her in bubblewrap and roll her around the park instead?

Thanks, everyone.

Your girl (name?) sounds like a sweet, little thing who loves life. I don't have a recommendation to protect her, other than not going to that dog park, which probably isn't what you want to hear, but I can say that I would not put any jacket on her when it's as hot as it is now.

Greyhounds heat up fast and can go into heatstroke if you're unaware of the symptoms. Wearing a coat in warm weather, let alone hot weather, is asking for problems.

I live in Upstate New York and because my girl prefers chilly over hot, she won't have a coat on her until the temp is less than 40, and more likely less than 30, depending on the wind and humidity. I don't know much about TX weather in the winter, but there are others here who live in TX. They'll tell you what is advisable for winter, and I'm sure it won't be a heavy coat with a snood.

We need pictures of your baby!

Edited by Feisty49

I agree with no jacket of any sort in this weather, and concur for a vet visit to get sight checked. Jackets really benefit greys for cooler temps, not necessarily for protection, and also recommend to not go to that dog park (don't get me started on the troubles that can happen there).

Kasey was an INCREDIBLE klutz on his best days, with lots of bonks on things. If there was ever blood in the house, I always went to check him over first instead of Ryder because 9 times out of 10, it was always him hurting himself in some way. Some just are that way, but I don't think wrapping your pup up will be helpful.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I would take her to get her eyesight checked. Maybe she isn't clumsy but just doesn't see well.

Yes, that would be a good idea. She may have very bad peripheral vision.

Also, when sighthounds focus on a distant goal, that's ALL they see. I can remember one of my Borzios now running along the beach flat-out and Kerry, the Great Dane, stepped out into her path a good 30 yards in front of her; they collided and there were screams but no lasting injuries.

Young greys love to show off dangerously too. Peggy, who I adopted at 18 months had, and still has. a penchant for getting other dogs to chase her, then stepping on the gas and twirling three or four times in front of them just to tease.

I think a thick padded coat, even one of the popular Blizzard brand ones, would overheat your dog.

felix (who i adopted at 7 weeks) was just as bad during his adolescent months- many months most likely 1.5 years! also their brains go into off position. if this helps he ran straight into a stone garden table and ripped off a ton of hair(which never grew back) but didn't shatter his bone!!!!. i iced it since he was able to walk/limp to me while screaming the scream of death. he was crashed into fencing regularly, knocked us over- throwing us across the yard!(ouch) they build up speed but still don't have their turns nice and tight during their youth. the nicks on her rear legs might be from dew claws. when they compress while running the claws slash the rear legs. keep the nails as short as possible, be persistent.

for the dings, and felix has lots of them- liquid vitamin e applied once they have scabbed, messy but the hair will most likely regrow. recently he ripped the hair off of his shoulder while scooting around a yard- he hit a wind chime! the vitamin e worked in 3 weeks.

i was serious about bubble wrap at one point. the coats rip as well- i have a couple of those that i repaired and donated to fosters.

it's a very good time to start obedience classes, they help her find her physical body. the exercises will make her aware of her presence and give her more control.

btw there are light weight protective coats made for hunting dogs, but a greyhound's body will most likely NOT fit into them. also, your dog will die from the heat. just wait it out and help her figure out her space. we just left texas last week after a summer long teaching commitment. 103 and rising.....OMG!!! i spent the summer hosing my dogs down so i could take them for their nightly vampire walks- 90+at 10pm!!!

Edited by cleptogrey

The examples you posted are all, basically, heavy coats. I wouldn't put one of those on a greyhound in Texas due to the heat.

Nicks and scrapes and small cuts are just par for the course when you have a greyhound. Most of us learn pretty quickly to do doctoring at home - grab some neosporin spray, a small bag of epsom salts, non-stick gauze pads, rolls of vet wrap, a couple pairs of toddler socks, and a couple of old t-shirts - these should get you through most minor injuries!

Always go to the vet if it's a bite wound of any kind or larger than a couple inches, as those most likely will need stitches and antibiotics.

As far as beieng clumsy goes, your girl is still basically a puppy, even though chronologically she's an adult. She will continue to exhibit puppy-like behaviors until she's 3-4 years old - instigating races, wanting to wrestle, twirling and whirling an jigging and jagging during zoomies, basically anything she can to put your heart in your throat. Minor injuries will happen! Get her completely checked out medically, then just stand back and admire her!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Hi everyone,

Gosh - thank you for such comprehensive, fast responses! Her name is Charlie!

A lot of you have suggested taking her to get her eyes checked - funnily enough, something I forgot to mention is that there IS something up with her right eye - a persistent papillary membrane. The vet said that it is stable and really shouldn't bother her, like seeing a floater out of the corner of your eye, but gosh - perhaps it's completely throwing her off. I had not thought about that at all.

I will cancel the dog coat idea. I had concerns about her overheating, even when only wearing it to run, and it's just not worth it. I have spent one winter here and it really wasn't that cold, doubt a dog would really need it, let alone in the 100 degree heat. I just want to wrap her up safe! (I am still recovering from the incident, she is fast asleep with her kong right now).

I used to be a dog groomer and think that I can generally get the personality "vibe" of a dog, and I think Charlie is a princess with a streak of Oops. I don't think her clumsy is something she is going to grow out of (my husband is hoping this is the case) and I think she is just a stubborn, happy go lucky pup who is going to keep trying to outrace all other dogs whatever it takes. I do have a sad feeling that dog parks may simply be a total no no unless they are small enough to keep things under control - the park we go to is pretty big and it has small trees and dog agility things in the middle but she has room to just go go go and too many dogs for her to show off to, and a few too many things to potentially hit. We do have an enclosed outdoor space - I live in an apartment - where I can let her run around without getting up to speed but it makes me sad that she can't go full out. What do you do with your dogs when you can't take them to the dog park? There is a very long corridor in my building though, that she adores rocketing down, perhaps that will have to be enough until we buy a house with a decent garden that I can Charlie-proof.

I am planning on taking her to agility classes early next year when the beginner classes start again - they do a really good program locally - so hopefully that will help her bond further, learn herself and her surrounds and get rid of her excess energy.

Thanks, guys. Any further comments are more than appreciated.

I do have a sad feeling that dog parks may simply be a total no no unless they are small enough to keep things under control - the park we go to is pretty big and it has small trees and dog agility things in the middle but she has room to just go go go and too many dogs for her to show off to, and a few too many things to potentially hit.

Smaller is NOT better. A hound is safest when they have lots of open space. The small parks make for a lot of zigging and zagging, and flipping and flailing. The problem with your park, it sounds like, is all the unnecessary obstacles. I can't believe they would put metal objects in the middle of the park. The best parks don't even really have benches or anything.

Of all dogs, I think greyhounds have the least self preservation. This is one reason I won't course my dogs. It's all or nothing, and I don't want them injuring themselves lure coursing when our main pursuits are in other sports. I do know some folks don't course their greyhounds until they are "mature".... lol. Kili just turned 3 and I'm still waiting on that maturity.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

before agility make sure she has her basics down. also check out some the fantastic posts of videos by krissy of kili. krissy has really worked her pup and communicated beautifully with her. the early posts of basic knowledge are superb. and yes, greyhounds are puppies for a l-o-n-g time, fortunately once they mature the duration of their play time reduces and the sprinting mode kicks in along w/ the power.

Givning her a good obedience class, then on to agility will help her find her way physically, as well. She really is still in that gangly stage as a growing dog, and she doesn't have the discipline and physical training that go along with a young dog learning to race. She might always be a bit of a tomboy, but she will also grow into herself more.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Hi. I've had some success practising walking my Max on-leash on smooth uneven rocky ground, taking things very slow at first and for only short sessions at a time. Taking practice at his comfortable speed (or lack thereof), he started very clumsy and unsure on uneven ground, gradually learning to take notice of where he was putting his feet (very different to sprinting around a flat track I'm sure) :) . All trial and error on my part but he now seems more sure-footed over uneven ground.