Super Dry And Itchy Skin

Diana's on a home-cooked kidney diet. She was looking fabulous a month ago, super shiny soft coat, eating well.

In the last couple of weeks she's gotten dry skin, is itching a lot and shedding like crazy! Her hair is now coarse and dry. She doesn't have fleas.

I think we've been slacking off on the fish oil. DH hasn't been giving her enough at breakfast I found out. Other than that, I don't know what's causing it. The diet? She does have a lot more carbs than she's had in years. Seasonal?

I'm going to add extra egg whites, and make sure she gets enough fish oil. What else? Coconut oil?

It's odd that her homecooked diet make her coat and skin fabulous for a while, and now she's a mess.

My boys had similiar problems in the early summer. I gave brewer's yeast, blackseed oil and grated coconut, one teaspoon each on every meal. And I groomed once a week for 30 minutes with a silicon brush to get rid of the old hair - my homeopath told me to do so. It needed 2 weeks but it got better and better.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

it's the egg yolk that has the fats. could be shedding but if her coat is a different texture it could be the food. home cooked recipes work for some dogs, not for others. can you also add sardines if you don't want to change your recipe?

what's the reason for changing over to a home cooked diet?

Do you add a vitamin supplement? If you are feeding a lot of carbs there could be a lack of things like zinc, iron, copper, etc. that often leads to a poor coat. Omega's won't do much if the diet is lacking in some of these.

Could also just be the time of year? Teague is shedding now, he always gets a bit of a brittle coat during this time, but then it goes back to normal.

Edited by RedHead

Its weed pollen at extreme level now! 400 IU Vit E/fish oil BID/& 50mg Benedryl(2 pills) BID have worked wonders on Reba and she is comfortable and not itching much right now. COOL bathes with soothing shampoo help too. Last week before treatment she was in a terrible state constant itching red skin. hair loss etc.

if it's pollen no need to use any soap/shampoo. my welsh terrier had the worst allergies in the fall and his skin would deteriorate and had hot spots galore. i used to just hose him down, plain water and dry him off and this seemed to help 98%. yes, the ground mold will also be creeping up. has she reacted to pollen in the past?

it's the egg yolk that has the fats. could be shedding but if her coat is a different texture it could be the food. home cooked recipes work for some dogs, not for others. can you also add sardines if you don't want to change your recipe?

what's the reason for changing over to a home cooked diet?

The reason for going to home-cooked is that she's in early stage kidney failure and won't eat the prescription foods. Sardines have too many phosphates for a kidney-dog so that's a no. Eggs yolks also are out for the same reason.

Its weed pollen at extreme level now! 400 IU Vit E/fish oil BID/& 50mg Benedryl(2 pills) BID have worked wonders on Reba and she is comfortable and not itching much right now. COOL bathes with soothing shampoo help too. Last week before treatment she was in a terrible state constant itching red skin. hair loss etc.

That might be it, or part of it. Diana has never had seasonal allergies before, though. My first grey, Sobe would've been dealing with them right now, I'd just give him Benadryl until the pollen and temps went down. No biggie - that was normal for him every late summer into fall.

Maybe Diana's health changes and dietary changes have made her more sensitive to seasonal stuff? I have been giving her a good brushing the last few days, getting that dry hair out, and she seems more comfortable. And I've given her a Benadryl a couple times and that seems to help a lot.