Chicken Feet

Guest lynne893

Guest lynne893

I've had greyhounds for more than a decade, and have seen on Greytalk how much they love chicken feet, but could never find any here in LA (had been to delis, carcinerias, Latino groceries, you name it... finally found them at a fancy new Whole Foods today go figure).

So we gave each grey a chicken foot for the first time today. They were really rubbery. Are they supposed to just eat them raw like that? Ooops, I sure hope so. They basically chewed on them for 3 minutes then gave up and swallowed them (pretty much whole!).

Is that ok??

Talk me off the ledge :)

Stop leaving fingerprints on the ceiling!

Mine won't touch them (they won't touch organs either, as I learned when I tried to move mine to a raw diet) ... but sounds like your pups are enjoying them!

If you can find an oriental market, you may find them far less expensive than Whole Foods ... there are also several companies that are focused on providing raw meat for raw feeders, that will offer them at somewhat reasonable prices.

Guest lynne893

Thank you all! All good with the dogs, no stomach issues or nasty gas/poop.

The surprising thing is, the chicken feet were the least expensive thing I've ever bought at Whole Foods! $2.99/lb, so for 2 of them, it worked out to $.54!!! Yeah!!

I've had greyhounds for more than a decade, and have seen on Greytalk how much they love chicken feet, but could never find any here in LA (had been to delis, carcinerias, Latino groceries, you name it... finally found them at a fancy new Whole Foods today go figure).

So we gave each grey a chicken foot for the first time today. They were really rubbery. Are they supposed to just eat them raw like that? Ooops, I sure hope so. They basically chewed on them for 3 minutes then gave up and swallowed them (pretty much whole!).

Is that ok??

Talk me off the ledge :)

I'm not sure where you live here in LA, but you can buy a 30lb case of chicken feet for a song at Sun Valley Foods on Penrose in Sun Valley. Sun Valley Foods is a distributer to grocery stores and markets, but sell retail in bulk. The ones they sell have most of the leg up to where they cut it for the thigh meat and don't reek of bleach like they do when you buy them in the markets. They are human food grade in quality and the price is very cheap. I'll have to look it up and post the price later. I get mine there, thaw them out, repackage them into smaller bags and refreeze them. My dogs love them! Bowie eats one in no time, Doodles has yucky teeth, so it takes her a little longer to chomp on it. Bowie gets 3 per day, Doodles gets 2.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014