Pain Management Post Dental Extractions

Percy will be losing most if not all of his remaining 8 teeth.

If opiates (morphine) should be avoided in greyhounds, what else could be used for a few days presuming in this situation his need would be temporary?

What are your opinions on tramadol, rimadyl, gabapentin or other meds?

Any contraindications with those if Tranexamic acid is used in lieu of Amicar?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Usually a NSAID in combo with Tramadol is enough post extractions. Your vet should perform oral blocks so he'll be comfortable waking up. No experience with TA but, I'm sure Dr Couto would have mentioned any contraindications-esp because it's used primary with surgical cases.

My guys, especially our poor Paulie (who was always losing teeth) were given rimadyl for pain and benedryl for swelling. Good luck with your boy.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

We use metacam as well and arnica or traumeel against the swelling.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Our vet gave 5 days worth of Metacam after the recent dentals here.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest Kryspen

If, as the top poster in this topic says, opiates should be avoided in greyhounds then why are vets, and others, giving tramadol, which is an opiate. I know this because I have to take it to control the pain of my arthritis. Here in Britain, at least, it is a controlled drug and I would never think of giving it to a dog. When Mac strained a muscle a little while ago we used Metacam to help with his pain.

My guys, especially our poor Paulie (who was always losing teeth) were given rimadyl for pain and benedryl for swelling. Good luck with your boy.

I forgot about the antibiotic, too.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest OPointyDog

Just went through this with one of my greys. He can't have tramadol because it causes extreme anxiety. He had 13 teeth extracted, and we used Amicar for bleeding, and convenia for an antibioitic (any other antibiotic seems to cause diarrhea). Then for pain we used metacam and gabapentin for 5 days. He did very well with that.