Xray For Sweep Tomorrow (Update: Good News)

Sweep has been very stiff and limping slightly after lying down for extended periods of time for a couple of months now. She had her annual checkup early last month and the vet noticed some sensitivity/pain in the lower spine near the hips which she thought were indicative of early LS (that thread here). Since Sweep had gained 6 pounds over a year and wasn't showing classic signs of hind end weakness (no trouble with stairs or jumping in/out of the car; no sinking), we opted to work on the weight loss and add Fresh Factors/Joint Health supplements for the stiffness upon rising. She also gets fish oil. Unfortunately we've seen no improvement and in fact it seems a bit worse, although it still resolves within a minute and she doesn't limp at any other time. (And "limp" is not totally accurate for what's going on; she isn't holding her leg up but almost dragging it slightly like it's asleep.) She is still very much herself in every other respect--loves her walks and car rides, does zoomies in the yard, eats well, grins and roaches.

Anyway, we'll be taking her in for an xray tomorrow. We leave for a short vacation Thursday and will be out of the country, so the timing sucks but I need to know what's going on. Sweep will be 6 in October; is arthritis likely at this age? Of course I'm trying not to think the worst and would appreciate everyone's good thoughts.

Edited by ramonaghan

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Arthritis in a 6-year-old wouldn't be surprising.

If your vet hasn't seen Sweep's I-just-woke-up movements, try to video her before her vet visit so the vet can see exactly how she's moving.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Sending warm good thoughts for Sweep. The suggestion of catching her "getting up hobble" on phone video for the vet would be an excellent diagnostic tool.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Thank you for the good thoughts and the idea of recording it. Here's my best effort so far (sorry about the yowling cats; it was their dinnertime). You can see that she's putting weight on all four legs but there's a definite hitch in her gait. Within a few steps (once she enters the kitchen after my motion-sickness-inducing spin), she's already walking almost normally again.

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

Three stretches, hmm. She's trying to align her back herself?

Thinking of you tomorrow Sweep. :goodluck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

The downward dog stretch pretty much rules out a shoulder muscle problem. Have you checked for corns?

Hm, that didn't occur to me because she is fine on walks, but I just wet all her pads and looked closely. There's a suspicious-looking light spot on her right front paw. Here's without and with flash:

20828569560_5cdc925a54_z.jpg

20829870249_7b0f0677cf.jpg

Edited by ramonaghan

That spot does look like a corn coming in.

Is her walk different on grass vs wooden floors and concrete?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

That spot does look like a corn coming in.

Is her walk different on grass vs wooden floors and concrete?

Not especially, but DH and I agree that she does stray from the sidewalk to the grass quite a bit on our walks. If it's a corn developing, I guess it's a good thing we go to Grassmere!

Or foreign body

Thank you; I'll definitely ask them to check that paw closely. She didn't seem to mind us messing with it, for what it's worth.

So is it not odd that it only happens after she's been lying down for a while?

I don't think it's odd at all if she's only lame when first walking--assuming its a foreign body--think about when you have an injured toe and have had it elevated--when you first lower your leg and take an intial few steps I bet you would limp too.

Xrays showed no sign of cancer or arthritis. :yay We asked them to get one of the lower spine as well, and he also saw no evidence of the LS the other vet suspected! He thought her pads looked normal, even when we showed him the photos above. So for now we are treating this as a soft-tissue injury with Meloxicam and restricted exercise. If she doesn't improve within a couple of weeks, we'll go back for more xrays. She still needs to lose weight too, which is baffling since she's been getting half a cup less a day since her early July appointment. But all in all, very good news. Thanks again for your ideas and good thoughts.

:clap Hope she makes a full recovery soon.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Ryder walks like that after he's over-exerted himself (a run at a park or a long hike). He can be a weekend warrior, but it tends to go away in a few days. I do take him in to the chiro if I notice it not dissipating.

Glad the x-rays came in good for Sweeperoooo!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Ryder walks like that after he's over-exerted himself (a run at a park or a long hike). He can be a weekend warrior, but it tends to go away in a few days. I do take him in to the chiro if I notice it not dissipating.

Glad the x-rays came in good for Sweeperoooo!

Thanks! I do plan to ask the vet about chiro/acupuncture if this doesn't resolve (and even if it does, just for future reference). I'm also going to continue with the Fresh Factors and Joint Health you recommended on my LS thread. Even though the supplements didn't address this specific issue (which they wouldn't if it's a soft tissue injury) I figure they can't hurt--and her fur is softer than ever!