How To Get Him To Leave His Bed And Come For A Potty Before Bed

Guest Raquel_88

Guest Raquel_88

Hi!

I'm having a bit of trouble with my 1st foster. He is great and easy in so many aspects! I really feel that he is already so well behaved, and he has such a great attitude.

It's mostly the whole taking him out to potty thing.

We go out in the morning at 7. I feed him at 7:30. We go out again at 8:30/9. Then again around 1. I feed him around 4:30/5. We go out again around 6:30. and then he refused to go out again after 8. I want to do one last potty break before bed, but he will not leave his dog bed for anything (treats, coaxing, leash, etc).

If he doesn't out before bed, he wakes us up at 5 or earlier.

How can I get him to leave his bed? He is a pretty big boy, and this being our first greyhound, we're a little unsure how to get him to stand up without stressing or scaring him.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!!!!

Guest GreyOrchard

Make yourself a cup of tea. Loop the leash around his neck, give a gentle tug, and go outside with him, holding the tea cup. Close the back door, unleash him and sit down in a lawn chair until he performs. After a few nights of this, he'll get the idea.

It's not for him to decide he does not want to go out, it's for you to tell him he's going.

How close to 8 PM do you ask him to go out? If he goes at 6:30, he probably needs 3 or 4 hours before having to pee again, or at least pee enough to make it worth his while. If he's laying on his bed, lift it up by pushing your foot under one end of it. It won't hurt him but it may make him stand up. Have him ready to go out with collar and leash on. When he stands up, just keep on walking and if necessary, a gentle push on his bottom.

Guest Raquel_88

Make yourself a cup of tea. Loop the leash around his neck, give a gentle tug, and go outside with him, holding the tea cup. Close the back door, unleash him and sit down in a lawn chair until he performs. After a few nights of this, he'll get the idea.

It's not for him to decide he does not want to go out, it's for you to tell him he's going.

Thank you! I've tried the leash tug. I've tried coaxing with the leash on, and I've tried tugging. I've also tried just holding his collar and lifting it forward and up. No budge. I'm new to them, so I'm always wondering if I'm hurting him or not. I know Greys are gentile and sensitive, and I don't want to have him hate me.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will keep being persistent.

How close to 8 PM do you ask him to go out? If he goes at 6:30, he probably needs 3 or 4 hours before having to pee again, or at least pee enough to make it worth his while. If he's laying on his bed, lift it up by pushing your foot under one end of it. It won't hurt him but it may make him stand up. Have him ready to go out with collar and leash on. When he stands up, just keep on walking and if necessary, a gentle push on his bottom.

Thanks! We normally try to take him out again around 9/9:30, but he will not budge. It's like, after 8, he is not budging at all for any reason. Even if people come over, he doesn't get up after 8.

I'll definitely try the lifting up his bed w my foot. That sounds like it could work! I can pull a bit, and he will walk, but getting him to actually stand up is the hardest part.

I feel badly, because I don't want to stress him or hurt him in any way. I just want to get him out to pee before we go to bed, so that he sleeps better, and we sleep better.

Thanks so much!!!!! :ghplaybow

Hook a leash to the collar and stand back and give a slight tug. Pulling the collar at close range may result in a sudden bite towards you. Establish a routine to go out at the same time at night. The boys have gotten confused when it is dark outside and they go out and then they are asked to go out again before bed. They figure if it's dark out, it must be last pee!

Kasey always came when I called on the first shot, but Ryder is usually on the 6th time. Sometimes Ryder still doesn't want to get up even after calling several times, so if a leash goes on him when he's on his bed he knows I mean business and he better get up, but by no means is it a hard tug to get him up, rather a signal that I'm not taking no for an answer. Disturbing the bed is a tactic I've also used, but more on Kasey and not on Ryder. I found Ryder didn't respond to it, kind of like a fly on a dinosaur.

Don't forget you can always lure with treats. Make it a fun experience to go out and he'll always associate that with a cookie! Mine know they get a cookie after bedtime pee, so that's always their reward for going out the last time at night.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

The first few nights Nixon was here he also refused to get up off his bed for a bedtime potty.

:dunno

I just picked up a corner of the bed (Costco rectangular) and 'dumped' him off onto the floor... and then he really had no choice but to stand up.

Once he was up, he was happy to follow me and go out.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest AimeeBee

Agree with all of the above. Also I would always give a good size cookie or other treat after last turnout as a bedtime snack -- they quickly learned that "get up and go out in the dark to pee = food" and got with the program. Plus it helped avoid any hungry belly issues overnight.

It's probably a hold-over habit from the kennel. They might not have had another turnout after dark/8pm or so, and then they would have been up again around 5:30. You just need him to adjust his schedule.

If he's not a snappy boy, I have used the lift-the-bed-and-dump method. This will work as long as he doesn't have a chance to lay down again somewhere else. Also, if he's treat motivated *except* for this time, or not overly treat motivated, you will probably need to up the treat value considerably to have him get the idea - real chicken, lunch meat, cheese - whatever his loves the best. Use whatever works for about a week, then begin using it randomly, then cut it out all together.

Going for last outs later may or may NOT help the 5:30am wake up call. If you're sure he doesn't have to go just tell him to go lay down and ignore him until normal wake up time. This will be hard for several mornings. Very. Hard. ;) But stay strong! If he *does* have to go, you need to gradually move this time later until he's at the right time. Set your alarm for 5:30 am, wake up, take him out, come back to bed, ignore dog until normal time. For a week or so. The move the time to 5:45am for a week or so, then 6am, until you get to the right time.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Raquel_88

Hook a leash to the collar and stand back and give a slight tug. Pulling the collar at close range may result in a sudden bite towards you. Establish a routine to go out at the same time at night. The boys have gotten confused when it is dark outside and they go out and then they are asked to go out again before bed. They figure if it's dark out, it must be last pee!

Kasey always came when I called on the first shot, but Ryder is usually on the 6th time. Sometimes Ryder still doesn't want to get up even after calling several times, so if a leash goes on him when he's on his bed he knows I mean business and he better get up, but by no means is it a hard tug to get him up, rather a signal that I'm not taking no for an answer. Disturbing the bed is a tactic I've also used, but more on Kasey and not on Ryder. I found Ryder didn't respond to it, kind of like a fly on a dinosaur.

Don't forget you can always lure with treats. Make it a fun experience to go out and he'll always associate that with a cookie! Mine know they get a cookie after bedtime pee, so that's always their reward for going out the last time at night.

Thank you!

So tonight, we put him in his crate around 7 to go out to dinner. We got back, and I put the leash on him right when he was let out of the crate, so that he was still standing.

He was happy, wagging his tail, and walked right out the front door. I thought this would take 5 minutes. Nope.

He froze on the stairs (and he has been learning to go down them, and he has been going and down no problem!!)

I tugged, and let go. I tugged, and said, "Let's go." and Tugged. I got a treat and put it inferno of his face, and pulled it away towards the ground (which is 3 steps... it's not a flight of stairs, just 3 pretty wide stairs). He didn't budge.

Finally, after 15 minutes, I just picked him up, and slowly moved his paws until we were down the stairs.

Then he froze to go to the backyard (which he normally doesn't do during the day). I tugged, and let go when he took a step. I tugged, and let go when he took another step. Same thing until he finally walked. Then he pooped and peed in the back yard within 2 minutes, so I know he had to go.

Then we walked back in fine.

So I guess my question: am I being too rough? Does he hate me? If he has to pee and poop, why does he make such a fuss to go to the yard?

I know they are sensitive, and I don't want to hurt him, but I also don't want him taking advantage of me. I want him to know that we need to go out before bed, and that I won't budge.

I'm sorry! Just not sure what to do, and don't want to hurt him.

No, he does not hate you. He is just not used to go out after dark. He will need a little time and a little, or more persistence on your side to learn.

Andy was like this when he came to live with us. Today he sometimes has this episodes when he is really tired after an exhausting day.

You have to change your way of thinking. Dogs do not want to live in a democracy. They need you to show them the ropes of living in your home. They won't hate you for structuring their life. But they can be offended and pout when they feel treated inadequently, like getting up before 9.00 am (mine). But that be can cured with treats, mostly.

Edited by smurfette

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Guest GreyOrchard

Thank you! I've tried the leash tug. I've tried coaxing with the leash on, and I've tried tugging. I've also tried just holding his collar and lifting it forward and up. No budge. I'm new to them, so I'm always wondering if I'm hurting him or not. I know Greys are gentile and sensitive, and I don't want to have him hate me.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will keep being persistent.

ok, I did not realize you had tried leashing him. I had this image of you standing near the bed begging him to come out. Yes, I agree with tipping the bed as someone suggested above. The first or second time he will resist, but just be stubborn. Eventually you will get to a point where you only have to look like you are about to tip the bed, and he will just get up on his own. You still might want to leash him to get him out the door, as otherwise he might just run to the sofa or somewhere and then you will need to start all over again.

ok, I did not realize you had tried leashing him. I had this image of you standing near the bed begging him to come out. Yes, I agree with tipping the bed as someone suggested above. The first or second time he will resist, but just be stubborn. Eventually you will get to a point where you only have to look like you are about to tip the bed, and he will just get up on his own. You still might want to leash him to get him out the door, as otherwise he might just run to the sofa or somewhere and then you will need to start all over again.

Oh yeah, I forgot this. Learned this way to leash before tipping the bed over. Andy and I (or is it me?) running around the flat from dogbed to sofa to my bed... some people are to blond for an intelligent dog. But I learned, eventually 😉 Edited by smurfette

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

I'm not sure where you got the idea that greyhounds are fragile, delicate flowers. They're actually pretty darned tough. Their SKIN is delicate, but you're talking about a dog that is probably 75 pounds or so of pure muscle. You're not going to hurt him by compelling him to do what you want him to do from time to time, be it with a leash, or a little knee nudge. He is most likely sensing your hesitation and using it to his advantage. A gentle nature doesn't mean you can't train the dog to behave. It's important that he learn normal home behaviors, and those include going outside when the humans tell you!

Try being matter of fact about the whole thing. A good upbeat tone, "Let's go!" and a gentle tug on the lead, and then start walking with purpose. Use a treat if you have to. Remember, the more stuff he learns in his foster home, the easier his transition will be when he's adopted! You're doing a really good thing for him--so don't let him be the boss!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Raquel_88

I'm not sure where you got the idea that greyhounds are fragile, delicate flowers. They're actually pretty darned tough. Their SKIN is delicate, but you're talking about a dog that is probably 75 pounds or so of pure muscle. You're not going to hurt him by compelling him to do what you want him to do from time to time, be it with a leash, or a little knee nudge. He is most likely sensing your hesitation and using it to his advantage. A gentle nature doesn't mean you can't train the dog to behave. It's important that he learn normal home behaviors, and those include going outside when the humans tell you!

Try being matter of fact about the whole thing. A good upbeat tone, "Let's go!" and a gentle tug on the lead, and then start walking with purpose. Use a treat if you have to. Remember, the more stuff he learns in his foster home, the easier his transition will be when he's adopted! You're doing a really good thing for him--so don't let him be the boss!

Thank you so much!! I'm such a push over. I guess I've been reading too many posts were people say not to tug or pull, and to be gentile with them. So I wasn't sure if what I was doing was too harsh. But now that I've started being a bit tougher, he actually responds more. He is getting better.

Thanks for being so honest.

I imagine many if not most of us were like you re being afraid to hurt our Greyhounds when we adopted our first one. I know I was concerned I'd do something wrong. I wasn't afraid I'd break her, but my girl was so not like other dogs that I didn't know what to do. It took me a few weeks, but I finally realized that she is a dog who happens to be a Greyhound, and I am the person whose responsibility it is to let her know what I expect. Like any dog, and actually I think better than most dogs, Greyhounds learn quickly how to work us. It's like a 4-year-old child. Kids will try anything to get their way. If parents didn't insist on certain rules being followed, every kid would be out of control. If we didn't let our Greys know what rules we expect to be followed, they'd run our lives -- well, more than they already do. :bgeorge

Im new to this whole greyhound thing, but we found out very early on that our houdie wont go out into the yard unless we turn on the light outside.

So we turned on the sensor light so now he knows if he goes out when it's dark the light comes on.
Is it possible to have lights in your backyard that you either turn on or come on?

Be pretty firm on your commands too. But sometimes a playful tone can entice too.