Shaky Hind Legs

Tracker is 8.5 years old and lately has started to show shakiness (it's really quivering, more than shakiness) in his hind legs, when on walks. It seems slightly more on the left. It's by no means consistent, but often enough that I've started to notice. He also did this recently when standing around for a few minutes, and quite a bit, too. He's never been comfortable standing in one spot even when he was 3, so maybe that's just age, but the fact that he's doing that when walking now concerns me. I should add that he's been dealing with a front right triceps damage after he ran zoomies. He's been getting PT for that for over 2 months without much improvement. Maybe he's favoring his hind legs to get the weight off the front and then they get tired faster? Also, it's been so hot here (California Coast) for months now that after he's gone on his morning walk he wants nothing to do with any more walks the rest of the day other than potty walks, so maybe his hind legs are weakening? Maybe those ideas are crazy, but I thought I'd give as much info as I can.

Edited by christinepi

I'm not as familiar with shaking as I am with "wilting" due to LS. I wonder if joint supplements would help? I'm certain others with more experience with shaking would be able to help you. I'm sorry that the PT for his tricep isn't helping :(

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest MeAndMouse

I think this is fairly common in greyhounds. I've had a few that have had shaky back legs. Mouse has had it for years now and it's gotten much more severe after her front leg was amputated last year.

Diana's hind legs started quivering periodically before she was diagnosed with kidney disease. It's a symptom of that. It can also be a symptom of other illnesses. I'd have bloodwork done. 8.5 is too young to pass it off to "old age" IMHO.

It could also be a side-effect of his injury, but I'd get bloodwork just to make sure there's not something going on that you could catch early and deal with.

Diana's hind legs started quivering periodically before she was diagnosed with kidney disease. It's a symptom of that. It can also be a symptom of other illnesses. I'd have bloodwork done. 8.5 is too young to pass it off to "old age" IMHO.

It could also be a side-effect of his injury, but I'd get bloodwork just to make sure there's not something going on that you could catch early and deal with.

The quivering of course stopped as soon as I posted. But I'll keep your advice of doing a blood test in mind should this show up again. Thanks!

I'm glad the shaking stopped but I like to share my experience. Andy started having tremours in his hind legs a nearly 2 years ago. I give lemon balm and st. John's wort (? google translated it for me) a teaspoon of every on his meals. It helps the nervous system and the shaking got better.

It is only still there when he stands still for a longer time or when he is very excited. But not as excessiv as it was before.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).