Toe Trouble

A couple of weeks ago Mazy hurt her toe, possibly when she did one of her zoomies. She limped just a little for a few days but her feet looked OK. Then I noticed a swollen toe even though she was no longer limping. She doesn't lick or fuss with it.

Vet issued rimadyl and antibiotic rilexene after xraying thinking it was possibly osteomyelitis or a sprain. After over a week the swelling has not come down. We return to the vet on Monday.

The pictures aren't the best but any idea what else this could be?

On the left is the swollen left outer front toe. (On the right is her right foot, inner side.)

010_zps1yes3mxb.jpg

On left, left front foot with swollen outer toe. (On right, right foot inner toe.)

012_zpsdpqxzhuj.jpg

It's hard to see it but I'm wondering if it was a bug bite. But if it was that surely the swelling should have come down by now and she would have been in pain.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I don't think so. When Harold had a spider bite it was quickly oozy and swollen.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

You've checked between the toes and on the inside part for any kind of poke or foreign body? And the xray didn't show a dislocation? or any kind of bony tumor?

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

A damaged tendon/ligament perhaps? Swelling can persist for months with this type of injury. It's the body's way of stabilising the joint whilst it heals. Sometimes the joint will remain permanently swollen to some degree but this isn't usually anything to worry about, in my experience at least. Assuming that's what it is of course - could be something else.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting