My Sweet Sugar Has Gone To The Bridge... Aug.16, 2015

Anne

When I moved out here to Arizona, I brought 6 retired racers with me and a standard poodle. As of Sunday they are all gone. Sugar left this world for the next about 8:30 Sunday evening. I had to take her to Tucson, it was pricey, but it was one of the best experiences I had with having one of my pets leave this earth.

Sugar came to me as a foster dog when she was two. She remained my foster for 10 months, no one ever inquired about her. She was a severe spook and had some medical issues as well. I finally gave up and just adopted her. :)

She was so scared of people. In the beginning she could barely be in the same room with people. After a while she got more comfortable and would at least stay in the same room with me. Then she'd "sneak" up behind me and poke me with that long nose of hers and then run! It was adorable! Then she got mouthy with me. She'd stand across the room and make noises at me, and bark and roo at me.

Eventually I could actually touch her in the house, I could usually (not always!) walk up to her and pet and love on her. Still to her last days, I could only rarely touch her outside unless I cornered her.

Her "spot" in the house was my closet. For the last 13 years I have not had a closet in my bedroom. That was Sug's place where she felt comfy. When the thunder would be loud or something frightened her, off to the closet. My Lulu slept with her in the closet. Those two were pretty much attached at the hip. It was hard for Sug when Lulu went to the bridge more than 2 years ago. Her hearing was going, her sight was going, her back end was very weak.

Sugar looked at me on Sunday afternoon and I knew it was time. She's been going down hill for a while now. My heart is broken. Who's going to get me up in the mornings? Who's going to bark at me and demand food or to go out?
Hopefully her ashes will be home soon.

I have been so lucky, I have had the most wonderful greyhounds in my life. Each one of them wonderful and unique.

I don't know if I will have another greyhound or what, but for the moment I just need to get over losing Sugar.

This is Sugar this past May.

sugar%20may%202015.jpg

I'm so sorry, Anne.

Godspeed, precious girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

So sorry for your loss of Sugar. :grouphug

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Your beautiful girl, I am so very sorry, Anne. Gosh, Sug was so beautiful.

I'm not sure that we ever get over our losses, rather, we try to find a way to manage them. Time will help, indeed, there is no time frame for the resolution of grief. As I was told many years ago, missing someone is a way of keeping them with us, even when they are not. This has helped me tremendously and I hope the same for you, all in good time. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I'm so sorry for your loss

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I'm so very sorry. It is hard enough to lose a special friend; the loss of the last of a group is even harder.

Godspeed Sugar.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

I am so very sorry! :cry1

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest Scouts_mom

Anne, your house must seem so empty without your Sugar. She was beautiful. It is clear that you loved her and she loved you.

Run pain free, nap in the sun, and watch over your Momma, Sweet Sugar. :gh_child