What Do You Use For Flea Control? Rop

Hello!

I was wondering what everybody on here does for flea control? We have always had a problem with fleas in the summer since we adopted Mover, but it seems to be getting worse. I've tried giving him nexgard, trifexis, frontline and just recently tried advantage II. It seems like no matter what I do, I just can't keep the fleas away. When I took Mover to the vet, she said he has a flea allergy and recommended I try the advantage II, but I honestly didn't see any changes (if anything, the fleas got worse!) My poor pup will bite at himself until he bleeds and loses patches of fur. I've also tried benadryl and it doesn't seem to do anything. I also recently purchased some items from Wondercide, since my vet recommended it, but I didn't feel like that helped at all either. Of course, I wash his beds, toys, etc regularly, but the issues never seem to stop. I've been giving him more frequent baths (once a week), because it seems to help him slightly. I'm not sure what else I should try, but I'm open to anything.

Thank you!

Ashley

We use Nexgard since the topicals have completely stopped working for us, and it has worked incredibly well. So far anyway. Between the topical and starting Nexgard, we did try several of these and have good luck, with no reactions: http://everydayroots.com/flea-remedies

Good luck! Diatomaceous earth everywhere in the house works too to keep after the little biters.

You can use Adams Flea Spray which is a topical spray. You can use it in conjunction with any of the other products. Get the water based, not the oil based. I give my guys Springtime Bug Off Garlic tablets daily, also.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Maybe I misspoke. I bought it in Walmart a few years ago. I have not had a reason to use it in a while. I do see Adams in the pet store. Next time I go, I will check and let you guys know.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I find the oral flea products, like Comfortis and NexGard, work more reliably than any of the topicals. They also kill fleas faster and reduce the potential to bite, so dogs with flea allergies tend to do better on the oral products. However, none of the products will repel fleas, so environmental control, and making sure any other pets in the home are also on flea control are essential. If you're still seeing fleas despite trying all those products, that means you have an infestation in your home or surrounding property. Might be worth hiring a professional exterminator, and if there's an outside source of fleas (stray/feral cats, rabbits, squirrels, etc), you may need to treat the yard on a regular basis to keep things under control.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest xengab

My vet told us that advantage and frontline dont work for fleas in my area. we had frontline for our kitty and she had fleas until we gave her oral meds.

Our hound was given trifexis and it works. Comfortis also works we were told. flea collars were advised against as they dont protect the whole dog.

We also use nematodes (sp?) in our yard to help kill the fleas, seems to be working as we have none now.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GreyOrchard

If you want to try something non-pharma, I always gave my greyhounds sponge-baths of half warm water and half apple cider vinegar. I would let the ACV soak in, and not rinse it off. The smell goes away in less than 5 minutes. This is not an "old wives' tale" - the ACV soaking into the skin affects the pH of the skin and acts as a deterrent for fleas and mange mites, creating an inhospitable environment for them. I have only very rarely used pharmaceuticals or chemicals on my own dogs and rescue dogs over the years. Never had a problem with it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MaggieMae

I have only used Frontline Plus as I know the fleas will not bite her and if they can not bite her they can not multiply. My girl runs in park canyons with squirrels and she has never been bit at all. I will NEVER give her or any of my greys oral flea control. Vets are pushing the oral prescriptions (Big Pharma) and stating that Frontline does not work anymore. You have to put Frontline Plus on every 30 days. You can not wait 32 days; you can't have gaps. If you stick to being religious about this it will work. It is also must be year round to be effective. If you have a flea problem on your premises when you start your grey on Frontline it can take up to 3 months until they all die (from lack of blood). If one hops on your dog right before you bring them into the house they will die as they can not get the blood to multiply as they will not bite the dog. Once you are on Frontline Plus after all the fleas are out of the house you can be rest assured that you will never see flea excreta or dried blood on your dog which is the sign they are being bit.

Why would you want to put something in your dog's body that is strong enough to kill ticks or fleas? Fipronil in Frontline is proven safe for greyhounds or at least the safest for greyhounds. It has not changed and it is still working if used according to the instructions above.

I switched over to Advantix this year and haven't had an issue with fleas. It's good for fleas for three months and ticks for one. I gave every three months starting March, June, Sept., and just check for ticks while grooming or after time in the parks. So far, no fleas or ticks. My old topical quit working last fall.

Edited by GreytXpctations

I use Sentinel here which breaks the flea cycle and I sprinkle some DE from the hips to the thighs to help kill them if I find any. DE can also be used around the house, I.e.doors to stop them from getting in!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Maggie- I used frontline on my cat, she still has fleas. Dog had fleas when we brought him home, gave them to the cat. Dog got oral flea meds, the cat (wont take pills) got frontline. Dog goes out lots of places, cat stays home is indoor only. No fleas in the house. We flea bathed the cat to kill off her fleas. Now we have no more fleas. So yes it IS the frontline that isnt working these days. It's not just some hard sell from the vets but vets hearing what clients have told them.

We had the cat as our only pet for a year, she had no fleas at all until the dog came. Lots of people in the rescue are reportng the same thing that had been using frontline every month for years. Since california gets fleas all year round, we use it every month.