A Completely Different Dog

Guest BeardedDogLady

Another little bonding exercise I did with Rudy after he had been with me for a few months was I'd sit down with a cup of kibble and slowly feed him bits of kibble as I pet him. Again he is a very food motivated boy so this was a great way to have him associate being close and being pet along his neck and back with something good (he tended to be particularly uneasy with having the back of his neck stroked). But this was not something I did until he had been more settled for a while and he was beginning to show more trust and relaxation.

A couple things I'm particularly careful about: Never grabbing by the collar, never trying to forcefully move the dog. These are very common mistakes newer dog owners make that can really damage trust and heighten anxiety.

That sounds heartbreaking to see such a change in Kit, but I think the advice so far is good advice. My Frida was a spook when I got her almost two years ago. She was afraid of everyone and everything at first and wouldn't willingly come out of her crate for anything. After working with her for a few weeks we checked potential medical causes, but everything came back clear. I wonder if you take a break from the trainer and let Kit set the pace, if that will help her adjust. Does she have any grey friends that can come for a visit in your yard, rather than any trips out into the world? It sounds like she was traumatized between the times that you had her. If so, time and patience may be the only prescription. Let her come to you, or any visiting children, rather than pushing her to do something (other than turnout).

We have had a few fosters (including Frida) that were worse than Kit is now when they were right off the track. They all took time and none of them reacted well to being forced to do something they didn't want to do. None of them understood positive reinforcement at first. Kit may have been pushed too hard or too forcebly (maybe by children) between her times in your home. Ours all responded well to being around other greys, but not to big and public busy places like pet stores. Stability and security help, so things that keep their world small and familiar can facilitate their adustment period. Frida was eventually able to do meet and greets, but by then we couldn't let her go. She is still more comfortable meeting with the same grey and people friends in non-busy locations.

These greyhounds are sensitive dogs, some more so than others. Sometimes I wish mine was a bit more robust like a labrador, i must admit. But greys are also really smart too, i hope youcan hang in there and keep her. She definitely won't do any better in another home, it sounds as though the being passed around different homes has caused a lot of anxiety.

I think you got her back for a reason, it was meant to be , so have faith.

• 2 weeks later...