Heartworm In Oregon? Washington?

I don't know where either of those towns are, but at any rate, while it's less likely than in the Southern US, but yes, it does exist in the Pacific Northwest, so I would give preventatives.

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

After Hurricaine Katrina many adoption groups rescued the dogs from that area and subsequently adopted them throughout many of the states-unfortunately a very high percentage of those dogs were heartworm positive. Essentially heartworm disease got a free ride to states that normally were absent of the disease. Current weather changes are making it even easier for the spread of the disease. Long story short I would use some sort of form of prevention but, you should confirm that with your veterinarian.

As a side note they are now finding heartworm disease in the California Sea Lion :-(

As a side note they are now finding heartworm disease in the California Sea Lion :-(

Wow :(

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Heartworm preventative in every state in the US now, should be given.

When Pearl came to me she was not on heartworm meds per her vet as they are so very scarce in far southern AZ. I *gasp* just started her on Heartgold plus with the boys on the first. She is alive and kicking. You could ask your vet about one dose of HW med when you get back unless it it a several month trip.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Short answer is "Yes." The longer answer is "maybe." We don't have a high incidence rate here in the northern Willamette Valley yet, but they are seeing it in the southern end. Not a lot, but enough that vets are now saying we should all be doing some sort of heartworm prevention. Of more concern is tick exposure down that far south and out in wilder areas. I would definitely do both if you're considering doing any hiking or walking in the woods, or even through the trails to the beach down there.

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Sorry for the multiple posts - whoever erased the "extras" - thank you!

Thank you to all who replied. We'll be doing Heartworm meds.

When I took her in for a vet check, my guy told me to check with a Waldport vet to see if it was in the area. I knew the Greytalkers would know!

My precious little old lady will be spending a well deserved week on the beach with us. I'm hesitant to inject or apply anything chemical on her unless I know she absolutely needs it. Appears this is not something we can avoid though.

She is up-to-date on all her shots including Lyme so once the Heartworm meds are added, she should be good to go!

Again, thank you Greytalkers 🐾

Heartworm preventative works by killing the immature heartworm larva picked up over the past month. So if you don't have heartworm in your area, all you should need to do if you wanted to be absolutely safe is to give her a dose or two of heartworm preventative after you return home. No need to start her on it before your trip.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest FordRacingRon

I know this is after the fact but I think you are going to see everything, bugs, animals, fish,,,everything changing areas. Our climate is changing so rapidly that bacteria, bugs, most anything alive will find itself wandering to different areas of the planet to match the environment they are used to.

So my guess would be if something doesn't live where you are now, it may someday. Better safe then sorry. Proactive, not reactive.