Marking Vs Regular Peeing?

Guest Rubbles_Mom

Guest Rubbles_Mom

Hello everyone, Rubble has been with me for 7 weeks. He was housebroken after like day 3 and it hasn't been an issue since then. So to make a long story short, he was alone for a total of 8 hours today: 7:30-11:30 and 12:30-4:30. I let him out at 11:30 as I knew he couldn't hold it from 7:30-4:30 straight through. However, just now at 5:00 he randomly peed on my bedroom carpet. He knows how to ask to go outside which he did not do (and he can hold it longer than 5.5 hours). So here's my question: this was a room he's never peed in before, do you think this is marking or just regular peeing? Immediately prior to this he was playing with his squeaky hedgehog.

Ohhhh we had that, if he was playing prior to this, most probably a pee. Playing makes them pee, eating makes them pee, basically anything other than sleeping makes them pee :)

We always go out after a play session no matter what, it became a rule quite quickly here :)

Edited by locket

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

Guest Rubbles_Mom

Ohhhh we had that, if he was playing prior to this, most probably a pee. Playing makes them pee, eating makes them pee, basically anything other than sleeping makes them pee :)

We always go out after a play session no matter what, it became a rule quite quickly here :)

Thanks, I think you're right. As soon as I interrupted him peeing upstairs he went straight down to the back door. Perhaps he just got super caught up in his playing?

Yea maybe! Ours go the whole day without a pee, but we have to go out 3 times during the evening, just because that is when he is active. It used to be ok going only twice, but now we need another pee break. You will figure each others schedule, don't worry :)

our Nube did the exact same thing (ON THE BED :o ) after playing. After that, ALWAYS right out to pee after any play!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Kasey's signal to go out was to actually grab his stuffy and run around with it. I wouldn't call it playing but it was the closest thing I had for a signal with him (actually he used to ding the doorhandle with his nose enough so we could hear it clatter, but that was at an older house, he never did that here). He never once peed in the house though.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Just fyi, my dog goes from 7 AM to 4:30 PM every day. Never has an accident. A healthy adult dog can hold it for longer than you think providing he gets a good long walk to empty the tank before you go.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Rubbles_Mom

Just fyi, my dog goes from 7 AM to 4:30 PM every day. Never has an accident. A healthy adult dog can hold it for longer than you think providing he gets a good long walk to empty the tank before you go.

How long? I usually do 30 min and 1.5 miles in the morning. Between peeing & marking he's going somewhere around 10 times. I then let him out again right before I leave.

I do a 20 to 30 minutes walk in the morning right before leaving, depending on the weather. He goes maybe 3-5 times on most mornings, sometimes more. And he is fine for up to 11 hours (We don't usually leave him that long, but it happened once, traffic and such...)

How long? I usually do 30 min and 1.5 miles in the morning. Between peeing & marking he's going somewhere around 10 times. I then let him out again right before I leave.

If you're doing that, he's prolly fooling with ya! How much is he drinking when you get back from the walk? I allow about an hour if Ryder take a big drink in order for it to run through his system, or only allow some sips and that's it.

One time we left Kasey for 15 hours....due to a circumstance we couldn't avoid....but that was his record. The bladder of steel boy did just fine. Never once did he go in the house ever.

To be fair, you might have to work him up to it. Not all dogs are bladder of steel dogs. Ryder wasn't but now it's not an issue and he does 8 hours easily.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest Rubbles_Mom

Hmm I haven't been limiting the water, that could be the issue. It's not that he can't hold it, but 8.5 hours seems to be his limit during the day.