I Know They Sleep A Lot, But Geez!

Guest Gus4Us

Guest Gus4Us

Hello!

I just adopted my boy, Gus, two days ago. All he does is sleep. He wakes up to eat and potty but immediately goes back to his bed, plops down and returns to dream land.

I expected him to sleep when he first came into his new home b/c he had a really long adoption day and a long drive back to Houston. But now that a couple days have passed, I thought he'd be awake more.

I read, in advance of his adoption, that greys sleep a lot, but is this normal? I just want to make sure he's healthy and not depressed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!!!

Lisa

His little brain has to work out all the new things in his life. That's a very demanding job. He just needs a little to adjust.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Guest Gus4Us

I'll be more patient with him. I'm just so excited to have him. Should I do more things with him outside of the house or give him time to adjust to his new home before I start removing him from it?

Guest MurphysMom

Lol! My husband kept asking me if something was wrong with our dog the first few weeks when we brought her home.. I would say "no, I think this is normal" and we'd bite our nails over it. It was definitely something for us to get used to; it's one thing to read about it, it's another thing to watch it play out :)

Perfectly normal, he is adjusting to his new life, plus (I see you are in Houston) the heat probably has him thinking "wake me up in October" :lol

This! Sweep is a different dog when the temperatures drop. She sleeps maybe 18 hours instead of her summer schedule of 20 hours. :lol

Congrats on your new addition! Can't wait to see pics.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

As far as doing more outside, keep in mind that greyhounds can overheat VERY quickly. You're in Houston which (I assume) is hot and humid right now. Also, being just off the track, he is not used to long walks, and probably did sleep in his crate maybe 20 hours per day. So, even a walk of a half-mile to a mile in the midday heat might be too much for him right now, you may need to work him up to longer walks. Might try taking him for walks in the late evening or even at night, or playing in the back yard where he can come back inside to cool off when he gets hot.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

There's a reason the nickname of the breed is "45 mph couch potato."

My dog is only 4 years old and he sleeps ALL DAY while I'm at work, then most of the time when I'm home!

You have to appreciate them for what they are. Excellent, usually very quite companions.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Welcome to GT and congratulations on adopting Gus! It sounds like he's made himself comfortable in his new surroundings.

Greyhounds are definitely unique, and I am fairly bemused by their ability to keep up their physique while moving so little. One of my girls is busier than the other. She plays with toys, causes mischief, and needs a daily walk. My busy girl still sleeps about 18-20 hours each day. The younger of my two girls has taken her retirement very seriously. She rarely plays and couldn't care less if we just quit walking all together. She is horizontal for at least 22 hours every day.

Enjoy your new boy! It is a lot of fun to watch a new greyhound's personality develop during the first few months.

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

LOL my husband thought our new girl was Clinically Depressed by too many changes. We learned to adore her while she slept and be active with her when she was awake. If we didn't close the door to our bedroom she would run to bed without even thinking about doing her Lady business. We learned, she learned and now we are all happy.

15915127311_7ffb7b5f61_q.jpg

MacKenzie McPherson

Don't rush him, he's only been there 2 days. Enjoy that he is relaxing and not showing signs of separation anxiety.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Rubbles_Mom

Don't rush him, he's only been there 2 days. Enjoy that he is relaxing and not showing signs of separation anxiety.

Yes! When we're in a new place and he plops down to go to sleep I know we're good and he's comfortable.

Guest ParamagicFF

We had the same experience when we adopted Amber 3 months or so ago. All she would do is follow us from room to room and sleep! She still sleeps a lot, and likes to be in the same room with us, but her personality is definitely coming out more and she gets into feisty mode from time to time. She will go from napping to running into the room chewing on one of her toys or playing with the cat.

Don't worry, his personality will come out in time!

Guest xengab

I've a 3yo greyhound around 6 weeks off the track. Had him 3 weeks. He sleeps from 10pm until 6am, when I take him for a 20min walk. Most mornings we are both half asleep while walking. Very quiet time for us and is great. he has breakfast, a 5 minute play (racing fetch) then sleeps pretty much from 8-5:30pm when we get home. 6pm he goes for a 30minute walk, has dinner at 7 and sleeps until 9pm, then plays abit, wanders around the house, then goes to bed at 10pm..LOL

He sleeps just as much as my 17yo cat.

• 1 month later...

My new rescue sleeps all day too! I keep thinking to myself "I hope she's not up all night!" But then I remember she's not a newborn and it should be ok.

The only downside...she makes me want to nap too ;)