Meet Cooper!

Guest cooper8812

Guest cooper8812

Hello everyone! My gf and I have come to this forum time and time again to learn about greyhounds. There is such a wealth of information here and we've really appreciated everyone's insight. I've wanted a greyhound for years. 3 weeks ago, that journey came true when we adopted a red fawn male, Atascocita Talen, who we now call Cooper.

We love him, he's great at receiving affection, is learning well to walk on a leash and is doing okay on stairs. He's already has earned our trust. we crated him while he slept for a week and a half, then open crate when sleeping, then moved the crate into the living room and he has a bed to sleep on in our bedroom next to our bed. he's even out while we're away at work/medical school and hasn't had the slightest issue holding his bladder. he will give us a bark when he needs to go and a whine, so at least he knows enough to tell us. he's a big guy, was about 75 lbs when we got him and very skinny, so we're working on adding some weight.

he's settling in well here but we have a couple of issues/question:

1) he seems to have gotten used to our coming and goings, but sometimes when I leave last when my gf and i go somewhere, or when i leave the apartment after my gf has already been out, he does get upset.

2) there are a lot of small dogs in our apt complex. we were told cooper seemed to be small dog friendly, but he will go berserk if he sees a small dog, pulling on the leash, trying to jump to get to them, and roo-ing very loudly and whining.

- what is this roo-ing? is he just interested or is he in full prey mode? he is very interested in other larger dogs too, and ive seem some of that kind of behavior when he sees a large dog too, but its mostly just the small dogs.

3) he follows us from room to room. if i get up, he jumps up immediately, even if he was sleeping. ill walk in circles around our coffee table to see how long he'll follow me for and it takes about 6 rotations for him to realize what's going on. he's underfoot at all times and it can be very annoying and, sometimes, dangerous. will this wear off? should we get a DAP diffuser or something?

4) ive trained him to respond to his name as well as to stay out of the kitchen, but he is SO food motivated (i would have thought this would make training easier) and I'm having a hard time with the clicker because he doesn't seem to be able to see anything besides the fact that there are treats coming his way.

any and all insight for us new greyhound owners would be GREATLY appreciated. thanks everyone!

i'll get a picture posted as soon as i figure out how!

Guest cooper8812

One more issue we're experiencing - possessiveness over toys/items. So far he has growled over a small white squeaky toy (we get that one), a moose stuffed animal, a blanket that we just put on his bed (when he was trying to tear it and i wanted to take it from him). Once he growls i've been able to shift his focus so he drops that item, but that is obviously not a long term solution. any insight here would also be MUCH appreciated.

He's gorgeous and I like the B&W bed.

I think that him following you around will probably decrease the longer he lives with you. The more at ease he becomes in his new home (and 3 weeks is not long at all), the more confident he will be and not need to be with you constantly. If it were me, I'd let time work its magic, but then I'm lazy when it comes to training (and also have a dog that never did this). Eventually he'll barely lift his head when you walk in the house.

Getting upset when you leave: IMO, he's playing you. That is, he knows you're leaving. He wishes you would stay home. He displays displeasure. If you respond, that reinforces his behavior. It doesn't appear he's got SA, so I'd give him a kong filled with something good and walk out the door *without making a big deal of it*. Don't even say good-bye. Just go. The same with your return. Don't make a big deal out of it.

You'll get lots of advice about trading up to get him to drop something as well as leash pulling. I've not had experience with either. Well, now that I'm thinking about it, Annie can pull on the leash but she has learned when I say, "No pulling," to halt the action and stay by my side, most of the time. LOL Hmmm..I don't remember how I taught her this. I suppose by keeping her on a short leash (which is how I walk her all the time - she's not allowed to go wandering out the full 6-foot length), controlling her pulling (I just don't allow it) and telling her to "wait." When she does, I give a treat. We never walk without treats in my pocket. Having her not overreact to another dog -- and she is friendly with all dogs -- just came naturally I guess. Don't give a long leash, and control when he tries to pull. Give positive reinforcement with a treat.

Edited by Feisty49

My dogs follow me from room to room. Mostly they do until they get to be seniors and don't want to move around as much. They are very devoted, dedicated dogs. You boy is very handsome.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Congratulations! Cooper is very handsome!

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Yeah. The following thing.... After four years I still can't go to the toilet alone, and whenever I stand up there tends to be an eruption of three greyhounds who follow me around, particularly if I go to the kitchen or outside. You might just need to accept it. What might work is if you give Cooper his own mat or bed in each room, so that when he follows you somewhere, you can send him to his bed or mat so he can be with you but not underfoot.

2. The small dog thing sounds like he is desperate to interact with other dogs. Make sure he gets a chance to socialize with other dogs if he enjoys it. Always careful with the small ones. A dog that wants to kill and eat another dog, doesn't usually roo at it first.

3. The following you everywhere will likely slow down but not necessarily. Some will follow you more as their love for you builds. My grey has rarely been in a different room then me in four years. Congratulations - you have a Velcro dog - the best kind IMO.

4. Food motivation can make many basic tasks easier. Don't push the training too fast. And depending on the dog and your situation, training beyond basic recall may not be necessary. Many greys figure out everything they need to know in a matter of time. They follow body language and tone of voice, etc. I have done almost zero training, my dog just cooperates because he understands and is happier that way or likes to please. YMMV.

Edited by KickReturn

Guest xengab

oh wow. Your dog is nearly the twin of mine, and I've only had him three weeks too. He follows me around too, I just have to live with being watched by him when having a shower.

Mine tries to run from small dogs, they confuse him and he looks rather puzzled about other dogs. I've been told to enroll my boy in a few weeks into a basic dog training class. SO he can see other dogs being good and with a trainer who can correct ME..LOL

When I work out how to post photo's I'll put my boy on here.. he has more black around his muzzle and ears.

Guest ParamagicFF

Beautiful dog! Sounds like he's settling in well with you!

We've had our Amber for about 3 months now, and she still likes to follow us from room to room and stay with us at all times. However she's very recently stopped jumping up from sleep in the way you described. She'll sit her head up to see where we're going, and unless we're gone from the room long she'll stay lying down.

Amber had never shown any possessiveness until yesterday when she growled as I went to take her raw hide like toy from her that she was recently given. I've read some great articles about how to handle this possessiveness with food motivated dogs. Try using a food as a lure to make cooper drop the toy, and take the toy as you give him the food. From what I've read he will then see giving up his toys as a positive thing, and you can eventually turn that into a "drop it" or "give me" command without the lure.

Best of luck with your new family member!

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Others have addressed your other concerns, but I will say from the photos that you show, he looks like he is in very good shape. Not too skinny at all. Remember, these are not Labs they shouldnt be chunky. Its ok to see ribs. careful about adding weight. Dont want a sausage with legs (ie: nearly every lab you ever see, and most dogs for that matter).

Cooper's super handsome! Congratulations!

We went through the possessiveness over things like chews, certain toys, the fuzzy bathroom rugs, a pair of angel wings from a halloween costume, etc. with Marvin in his first few months with us. It took him a while to understand that he was not going to be pack leader with us. We kept Marvin off the furniture, beds, and everything ours until it was clear that he wasn't in charge (well, yeah right...I still take care of him like a toddler, so maybe he still is somewhat in charge...).

Until we could get him to drop things on command with us, he didn't get squeaky toys or edible chew bones. We did lots of practicing with trading up with treats to get him to give back whatever he had. In the rare instance he got a hold of something dangerous to him, we did use a squirt bottle with water to get him to drop the potentially dangerous thing. Within a fairly short period of time, he figured it out, and we've never had any trouble since. He'll even drop and not get angry when we need to take away his raw beef bone. It's just something to work on a little bit each day, and progress can be made in no time at all. Cooper just thinks everything's his :)

Guest Rubbles_Mom

Amber had never shown any possessiveness until yesterday when she growled as I went to take her raw hide like toy from her that she was recently given. I've read some great articles about how to handle this possessiveness with food motivated dogs. Try using a food as a lure to make cooper drop the toy, and take the toy as you give him the food. From what I've read he will then see giving up his toys as a positive thing, and you can eventually turn that into a "drop it" or "give me" command without the lure.

Best of luck with your new family member!

Tried this tonight with Rubble and his favorite hedgehog, worked like a charm! I'm sure he'll pick up quick if I work on it daily. Edited by Rubbles_Mom

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations! And it's awesome that you did your homework ahead of time, and are now asking questions!

First of all Cooper is gorgeous. Second, it sounds like he's settling in amazingly well (probably due to your diligence and research ahead of time).

And third, your list of questions and issues - you have questions - but you don't have issues IMHO. Everything you listed is totally normal. Just adjustment stuff. It'll work itself out.

The only thing you mentioned that'd I'd watch is the possessiveness/growling. BUT - you were able to shift his attention - and that's actually a great thing. That means (IMHO) that he's just a bit unsure, protecting something cool BUT was able to be distracted by his master. That's a GOOD thing. The fact that you could break his attention means he's accepted you as his leader, wants to please you, and wants direction. I wouldn't worry about it. I'll bet it'll just go away as he gets more comfortable in the house in the next couple weeks. New dogs tend to "cling" to things they like, it's a comfort thing for them. But once he realizes he's cool there, he's staying, all his stuff is staying - he won't feel the need to "Guard" it.

Probably. If it escalates after a while, well, then you have an issue to deal with.

But for now, relax. Wait it out. New greyhound are like the weather. If you don't like it, wait a day and see how it changes!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest cooper8812

Hello all! We've continued having a bunch of problems with Cooper. He has been "statue-ing" on walks. It has gotten really difficult to deal with. We try giving him treats to bring his attention to us during walks, but once he makes up his mind that he doesn't want to walk (at all, or in a given direction), he is impossible to move.

we have had no success going up stairs (he regressed, then wouldnt go within 5 feet of them). now we toss a treat up and hell sprint up and get it (luckily we only live on the 2nd floor). this morning he refused to go down the stairs at all. so he hasnt pooped since last night. my gf and i took him out again tonight, he finally peed but wouldnt poop. he turned into a statue again and demanded to go inside.

when he does this, we try the "look" command, and to turn him around, but i cannot believe how stubborn he is.

Additionally, he has either peed or pooped in our apartment about 4 times in the last couple weeks (when neither of us is home). Since we didn't catch him in the act there was nothing we could do. We're starting to think that he hates walking outside so much that he'd rather just go inside and deal with whatever consequences.

Regression is also normal. You may have thought "this dog is great! all the books were wrong" and went too fast. I did it with my first grey.

Start over. Pretend you just brought him home today. Follow all the newbie advice. A CRASH after the honeymoon period is not unusual. Go back to square one, and it'll be ok.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Dogs dont understand "consequences". They do not have that much cognitive ability in their little brains. This may sound harsh, but you are the responsible one, make him go down the stairs and up the stairs. Keep a regular schedule of when you take him out and when you feed him and the accidents will stop.

how to get him down the stairs:

1) loop your hand through his collar.

2) hold his head next to your hip like a suitcase

3) gently but firmly walk down the steps. he will fight and balk at the top of the steps, a few times of this he will give up once he knows he will be going regardless of what he wants.

how to get him up the stairs (a bit more difficult):

1) hold leash so he cant get away from you

2) stand with his butt against your chest

3) keep pressure on his rump and lift front right paw up one step, then rear right leg up one step, then front left, then rear left.

4) keep up the pattern until you are at the top

5) do not let him turn and go back down the stairs.

Do this for a few days and he will be a pro in no time. I have done this method with broken leg hounds that are 3 months out of their cast and they learn within a week. The longest it took for any hound of mine (including the 30+ fosters) was 5 days. Have a huge party when you get to the top or bottom of stairs and things will get better. Consistency is the rule and what will help your boy understand what is needed of him.

Chad

Guest cooper8812

Thanks Chad...

I appreciate your step-by-step advice, but I will say that we have done exactly what you said and are trying very hard but he is completely and utterly resisting going outside. He is now balking directly outside of my apartment and refusing to move. We bring little bacon treats, milk bones, and his dog food with us to make walking and stairs seem like a happy place but nothing is working. We keep a tight leash and give him a little pull so that he knows it's time to move, but he will not move. We are not going to pull him so that it hurts him, so it feels like we've hit a wall at this point.

The stairs is not technically an issue right now, as he will chase the treat that we throw to the top.